The three stages of excellence in traditional training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

The three stages of excellence in traditional training

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:15 pm

A short article by the Taiping Institute, posted on facebook. I liked their take on the subject.

https://www.facebook.com/taipinginstitu ... =1&theater

The 3 Stages of Excellence

Whilst the macro motions or movements the body can make is limited, the micro tells a very different story. After over 30 years in the traditional martial arts having the fortune of learning from, exchanging and observing many practitioners/masters across China and Asia Pacific, one of the most substantial concept differentiating systems is that of power generation. In most cases people develop a single dominant power generation method even if they represent many different systems.

Over 20 years ago, my teacher at the time explained this as the achievement of three levels :
1. Can co-ordinate the body able to undertake all movements and have physical (macro) power (also can mimick movements of others at ease by observation)
2. Able to generate the systems specific micro powers (incl. subset powers) and and able successfully naturally apply through combat
3. The ability to alter power generation methods and absorb from others their mechanisms relatively easily in any scenario.

He explained that in most cases many people can spend a lifetime in just trying to achieve primary level (1). This of course transcends into combat for if the principles are not absorbed the natural reaction would remain with the associated power generation level as well.

This also explains the reasoning behind mastering a single system first before experimenting for if you jump around to early it is likely that you become stuck at the primary (1) only. However likewise absorbing other arts on the basis of your single system means that you have never really absorbed another martial art but only added some techniques within your single system. It is common to see masters of various arts that are stuck at level 2 unable to empty the cup or re-train the body to achieve real absorption of other martial arts.

Very few practitioners are able to achieve the tertiary (3) level even those most famous or well renowned. Even today as I still travel to learn and exchange it seems quickly obvious the root or base system of the practitioners or masters accordingly.

For the Taiping Institute, we try ultimately to maintain the purity of power principles, introduce variations early and by focusing on specialization coupled with progressive other/secondary art development this will hopefully result in a better chance of obtaining comprehensive skills and abilities but a difficult journey it is…..but like all challenges it makes life all more worthwhile.

Taiping.
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: The three stages of excellence in traditional training

Postby Miro on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Good description. Forgive me for another take:
1. Ability to feel the (houtian = human) qi, internal organs, jingluo (meridians), including ability to see the qi.
2. Ability to activate organs and jingluo and move the qi in them (including for example switching among lung, pericard and heart meridians on inner side of arms so that qi goes through inner side of the arms by different routes and into different fingers: thumb, middle finger and pinky etc.).
3. Ability to feel and actively work with xiantian (not human) qi.
We have entered a voyeuristic, or "phanic," era where esoteric ideas and methods are only unveiled and put within reach of everyone because they no longer have any chance of being understood. (Mircea Eliade)
Miro
Great Old One

Postby GrandUltimate on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Interesting article. Reminds me of a conversation I once had with my sigong. I asked if he still trained the systems that he completed in the past that he doesn't teach publicly. He said he didn't need to because everything he learned in other arts he could now train and express through his "primary" arts. Must be a cool feeling! About a year ago I started cross training in Muay Thai and BJJ, though with more emphasis on the latter. Transferring Kung Fu to Muay Thai was fun, though scary as well. But when it came to grappling, I felt like a newborn baby. I could barely transfer anything correctly(though I think I'm getting better)! The experience really put me in my place by showing how I ultimately understood so little about how to use my body naturally and efficiently.
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Postby Strange on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:11 pm

if you need to " achieve" "Level 1", i think it's best just to move on and do something else.
ime (as in, i saw with my own eyes), it's never gonna happen.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Avenger on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:42 am

I agree with those premises . I wonder about systems like JKD that like to just copy external movements from other styles, systems with no basic foundation will never see these levels.
Avenger
Santi

Postby KEND on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Interesting but not too specific on details
The three internal levels: basic, using internal muscles to create external forces, middle: internal muscles synchronized and completely integrated so only intent is required, advanced: no mind, body automatically responds to external forces, neutralizing and counterattacking. In internal there are three distinct methods, Hsing yi bridge, sense force, counter by use of five element vectors, strike using combinations of five element shock power TCC, bridge, stick, follow to nullify incoming power, strike using shock wave generated in lower tian, Bagua: Bridge, nullify incoming power by stepping, unbalance opponent by rapid change of force vector at point of contact, strike using internal expansion.
I have found that five element power can be applied and integrated into to other MA's, Shaolin, JKD, WC, Southern Mantis, Kali etc,
Re 'chi', internal cultivation is necessary to achieve levels above basic but the method differs from that used for cultivating external projected energy and has little to do with meridians
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Avenger on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Kent, good description of the sequence of events that take place.

Thumbs Up
Avenger
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan