Yang Family Sorcery?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang Family Sorcery?

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 am

Finny wrote:Bao - for someone who does NOT post the most coherent, constructive things here, your constant harassment of Maarten on this thread is pretty weird.

Coherent or not, I always answer to questions on my posts. I don't hide and I don't make excuses.
When Maarten said that he didn't want to derail the thread, I offered him to answer in a PM.
I also wrote that I enjoy what he writes and that I hoped that he would continue.
Pease call it whatever you want.

I'm sure 90% of us knew exactly what he meant - there was no contradiction, simply re-wording and re-framing a clearly informal and fluid situation.

Then I belong to those 10%. No, I don't get it. But everything seems to be very fluid, I certainly agree with that. I won't comment it further.

Chill the fuck out and cut him some slack; you don't approve of his approach.. we get it.

You're pretty late. I've already had and I said that I won't bother the dude.

lastly - bear in mind that English is not his first language.

Neither is mine. And this is not an issue of language.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:39 am

Ian wrote:I certainly never said MMA > CMA, since the two aren't of the same category :)

Modern MMA isn't a style, it's a format. You can pressure test your CMA in MMA, for sure. The question is, can you win? So far, the Chinese fighters (sanda, not TMA) are catching up, but aren't winning any world titles.

The fact is, China isn't producing fighters of this calibre... yet.

And when it does, it'll most likely be a mixture of sanda and grappling. If traditional martial artists seriously up their game, they'll be able to participate too.

If you disagree, please provide evidence :D

And since we're clearly talking about fighting and not health, if you believe your style's more sophisticated, please fight and win at the international level, or train a fighter to do the same. Nowadays there's really no excuse!

And if you find a real fighter to train, you won't have to do any convincing, as he/she will jump at the opportunity!

Why is the burden squarely placed on me? If CMA haven't died out by then, perhaps somewhere down the line people will start competing. As for me, I gave up dreams of competing long ago, before I even had children. A year and a half ago I really injured my left foot as well, at which point I realised that I'm not invincible. I respect pro fighters, but I only have one body and plan to take care of it within reason.

Since when has China been good at any sports that aren't in the Olympics? Look at their football teams.. They have little incentive to compete. They are going to do Taekwondo, etc. because that's where the money is at. I posit that it will be foreigners that put CMA on the map. Very few study IMA, though..

If I ever open a shool I'll certainly train students to compete. :)
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 am

Bhassler wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:To say that MMA has achieved as much, even more, in twenty odd years is preposterous at best. As I said before, MMA has got a lot of good going for it, but if CMA (and other TCMA) were added to it, it could become far greater, a sum of Earth's martial achievements.

MMA already pulls extensively from boxing, Thai boxing, various forms of jujitsu, and greco-roman wrestling. The wrestling alone dates back to the 8th century BC. Taiji is about 600 years old-- a mere baby by comparison. So your notion that CMA has all this history that MMA does not simply doesn't hold water. Do you seriously think some guy who practices kung fu in the park after working in the factory all day is breaking his art down with greater intensity and sophistication than a professional athlete who trains all day every day with a group of coaches who train professional fighters all day every day?

I'm not an MMA guy and I don't buy into the notion that sport fighting is the best preparation for street encounters, or in fact anything other than sport fighting, but I've been around enough to know that the gap between even a very talented and dedicated amateur and a true pro is enormous, and also to know that when you get to the highest level of something there are more convergences than divergences. Those differences are really, really important, but if you think that TMA have not been very seriously examined by all those ultra-competitive MMA guys who are busting their asses to try to make it and put food on the table or get the million-dollar endorsement contract, then you are either very arrogant or just don't have a great understanding of how the world works.

I can understand your point of view. I would say, though, that Taijiquan, for example, is not just six hundred years old. It's just a label that someone recently put on one variation of a martial lineage stretching back God knows how far.

When I say that CMA are more sophisticated, my meaning is not that other arts such as boxing are unsophisticated. What I mean to say is that there are a lot of skills that have been lost or were never even developed [to such a degree] in other regions of the world. That's especially true for IMA. And I'm not talking about "sorcery" here, but actual things that can easily be taught and learned with tangible combat applications. For sure, what Ali practiced was also some form of "sorcery" and I definetely wouldn't take him on. The difference between pro fighters and mere mortals is huge yes, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot that they could learn in China to improve their game. That's my main point. Let's just say that the power generating methods in CMA are very different and that they are worth learning and leave it at that.

I do not think that serious pro fighters have examined CMA in depth because there are so few combat-proficient teachers out there that haven't spun a web of bullshit around themselves that they just wouldn't go out of their way to find them. Even when we get television programmes like Fight Quest and Human Weapon I never felt like they were looking for the right people and that Kungfu Quest was the same. Even in China they aren't that easy to find, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth looking for.

If you're looking for my agenda, it is this;

I took me seven years here to find a true master and during most of that time I believed that CMA were dead and that all that was left was Wushu dancing and Sanda (at least better than TKD..). Knowing what I now know it should be easier to find proper masters in other cities in China. When I finally found that master (and others that he introduced to me), their skills were awe-inspiring and totally different than anything that I've experienced in the previous twelve years, including MMA, boxing, Judo, Taekwondo, Hapkido, Fencing, FMA, Karate, wrestling, Kendo, Sanda etc. And what do I find? Everyone either wants to play computer games or wants to do fucking Taekwondo or Sanda, MMA and believe that CMA are worthless. Masters are struggling to find disciples to pass on their knowledge to. Many arts have already been lost and more are on the way. That sickens me. So my agenda is to promote CMA before it's too late. There you go. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:31 am

wayne hansen wrote:It's only robotic if you are a robot
A curriculum should not restrict the keen student

True but for the keen student one form would be enough.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:24 am

The fact is, China isn't producing fighters of this calibre... yet.

With a country that has a population of that size.. by shear numbers statistics wise.. they could produce and make champions galore! In China the MA crowd except for a limited few are not at this time interested in MMA.

People put to much stock in MMA. It's a format, a venue and nothing more. What it does though.... it makes one adhere to the natural dynamics of a fight between two individuals. If what your doing doesn't work within these natural dynamics then you can't compete. It exposes your flaws (be it in you (your athleticism) or your style) And these are "Natural" dynamics that only can be circumvented in a limited sense by athletics and skill. Much of all MA's to not address this base aspect. (its reality....

Up until the MMA venue very few MA's embraced the natural dynamics that happen when two individuals fight.

People can train any art and at the same time embrace the natural dynamics of a fight.

For clarification:
Some examples of natural dynamics

People when struck, clinch and grapple..
People apply resistance with full strength ...
People let go of whatever is trying to make them fall (an arm or wrist etc..)
People who are resisting don't fall easily ... they resist
People can take serious punishment and keep coming
Simple Body shifting with resistance negates many things
Strength usually wins the day.

etc etc...
Last edited by Ba-men on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:32 am

Imo, most people who have a goal development a system to accomplish that. Such systems do not need to be complete. The only requirement is that they succeed at the desired goal. If winning a fight is the goal, then the quality of the system is judged by the success. However, imo, Asian martial arts are distinguished by the fact that winning fights have not been the only goals. Consequently, there are aspects of CMAs that people whose primary goal is to win fights find unnecessary. And they are, but that doesn't mean they aren't valuable.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 am

Ba-men wrote:With a country that has a population of that size.. by shear numbers statistics wise.. they could produce and make champions galore! In China the MA crowd except for a limited few are not at this time interested in MMA.

Yes, it's just as simple as that.

The communist party promotes Sanda as a chinese national sport. The chinese are very nationalistic and many sanda fighters believe that what they do is superior to anything in the west ... just because it's chinese... :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Why is the burden squarely placed on me?

Placing the responsibility for China's success on your shoulders would be ridiculous. I don't even care if 'China' wins or loses, as I particularly couldn't give a crap about nations.

You're saying you're organizing a system that trains people to fight competently within a year, and CMAs done correctly are "more effective" than other styles. Fair enough.

I'm saying put your money where you mouth is, because talk is cheap. That's all :D

I look forward to seeing the fighters you produce.

Ba-men wrote:People put to much stock in MMA. It's a format, a venue and nothing more.

That's true, and I would've thought that TCMA practitioners - with their tradition of leitai competitions, style vs. style, and ti guan / dojo storming - would be all over it. How much more traditional can you get?

And yes, there are plenty of avenues for TCMA fighters to test their skills - ONE FC, Legend FC, RUFF, national sanda competition circuit...
Last edited by Ian on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ian

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:27 pm

dspyrido wrote:

A good teacher can teach only one aspect and pass on an entire understanding
Each form or part of training was developed to pass on certain aspects
Would you only practice metal or turtle from hsing I
Single palm change from ba Kua
Small thought from wing chun
Iron wire Kune from hung gar
Needle in cotton from white crane
They each teach something of value but are part of a whole
Those I see with one tai chi form usually go out of the system to fill in the gaps
It then becomes something else
Not lesser just different
Huang Shen shyen developed many of his own formsy
San shou
Double ended pole
Long pole
Walking stick
Spear
Knife
Sword
Quick fist
Next time you meet one of his disciples who are making money off his name ask them how many of these forms they can demonstrate
Then ask yourself why
Train what you want when you want but don't say things are not of value that you haven't trained
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:40 am

Ian wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:Why is the burden squarely placed on me?

Placing the responsibility for China's success on your shoulders would be ridiculous. I don't even care if 'China' wins or loses, as I particularly couldn't give a crap about nations.

You're saying you're organizing a system that trains people to fight competently within a year, and CMAs done correctly are "more effective" than other styles. Fair enough.

I'm saying put your money where you mouth is, because talk is cheap. That's all :D

I look forward to seeing the fighters you produce.

Ba-men wrote:People put to much stock in MMA. It's a format, a venue and nothing more.

That's true, and I would've thought that TCMA practitioners - with their tradition of leitai competitions, style vs. style, and ti guan / dojo storming - would be all over it. How much more traditional can you get?

And yes, there are plenty of avenues for TCMA fighters to test their skills - ONE FC, Legend FC, RUFF, national sanda competition circuit...

Ian the chinese history of competition has to be the main factor that made their art so multivariate and rich. It also became infused into their culture while the west went on to dismiss combat arts for the layman and circus. Think where wrestling was.

I will speak for cma - yes we all know that martial arts has had traditions everywhere in the world but nowhere that I can recall did it have such a targeted suppression (chinese monarchy, western, japanese and finally communists oppression) that was enacted for hundreds of years.

So if you were growing up in modern china and have had your grandfather, uncle, close family friend or even father rounded up, shot, imprisoned, your houshold destroyed etc. because they were martial artists how much would you want to invest in cma? It's even a wonder that good cma exists hidden away.

So it kind of makes a lot of sense why the chinese don't rush to spend their lives preparing and training for mma contests. Locally mma professionals (and soon to be amateurs) are centrally registered with a governing body. If I lived in china I would be pretty concerned about this.

As for someone creating a style and testing in mma - I know several guys teaching mma who themselves don't compete and have not competed in mma. In some cases their students have competed and even won so I guess you dont have to be an mma expert to coach someone. Lets face it the style and coach don't fight for anyone.

But as mentioned earlier most students don't compete and have no desire to compete. I am not one of them and also train with guys of many backgrounds but I understand when someone with a few years of recreational training does not want to step into a ring against someone who was coached from a child.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:15 am

wayne hansen wrote:
dspyrido wrote:

A good teacher can teach only one aspect and pass on an entire understanding
Each form or part of training was developed to pass on certain aspects
Would you only practice metal or turtle from hsing I
Single palm change from ba Kua
Small thought from wing chun
Iron wire Kune from hung gar
Needle in cotton from white crane
They each teach something of value but are part of a whole
Those I see with one tai chi form usually go out of the system to fill in the gaps
It then becomes something else
Not lesser just different
Huang Shen shyen developed many of his own formsy
San shou
Double ended pole
Long pole
Walking stick
Spear
Knife
Sword
Quick fist
Next time you meet one of his disciples who are making money off his name ask them how many of these forms they can demonstrate
Then ask yourself why
Train what you want when you want but don't say things are not of value that you haven't trained

I am not sure where you are coming from so I will elaborate where I'm coming from. In my view I don't believe it is possible to have a complete system because I believe one lifetime is not enough to truly master all aspects of combat.

Take for example your list. It's a good list but it can be expanded to even include other weapons or practises eg bow, throwing blades, ground fighting, point striking etc. It's just impossible to learn everything.

So a complete system is impossible especially under the oral tradition of learning. It's like saying that having learnt maths in school and university you have learnt all there is to know.

Note - I dont agree with spending 1 year on a system and moving on every year but I also don't believe 1 system and instructor is the be all and end all.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:43 am

Getting back to the OP, if the current Yang Family curriculum is essentially the same as what was practiced by family masters in the first three generations of the style, then perhaps the comparable difference in reputed fighting skills and internal development between the older and current generations is in fact due to a previous inclusion of auxiliary training methods aside from strictly physical and athletic methods normally associated with martial training, which are no longer a part of the official Yang Style Tai-Chi Chuan training curriculum.

Whether or not such auxiliary methods were incorporated in the nei-tan training of the earlier Yang family masters, it is a well known fact that pre-Communist Chinese culture traditionally included a long history of various occult sects which were believed to possess secretive methods of developing spiritual powers via esoteric means, i.e. Taoist sorcery and magic, for example. Of course, it could also simply be that the older generation masters achieved a much higher degree of martial skill and significantly greater internal development because they trained differently and much more seriously than most people do today.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:18 pm

When I say complete system I don't mean everything under heaven is learnt
I mean the system as arranged by your predesessors
The 4 weapons in tai chi 2 short 2 long enable the use of all weapons
A few years back I had an ex student who was a black belt in Ilustrisimo and lameco kali and knife fighting
I showed him the San shou used with a short knife
He was blown away by it as practical fighting and thought it equal to any knife fighting he had learnt from tony Edgar or either of the rays who teach knife fighting world wide
My point is if you understand the principles you don't need to train every nook and crannie
What I was trying to point out is one slow form is not enough
If you don't have the forms your teacher created as in huangs case it ous either you don't value your teacher or he dosent value you
Or you wernt close enough or there long enough to learn all he wanted passed on
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Pennykid on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks for that, Doc.
When I brought up the Yang palm on chest or stomach thing to Meeks, he suggested it was possibly an ability derived from occult practices because he was familiar with a variety of occult practices and had met and heard of martial arts teachers from the old days using some pretty dark methods to increase their power.
It's nice to have at least one other person offer this up as a real possibility. I'm not at all obsessed with this stuff but I do, of course, find it very interesting.

Scott
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm

If we all agree on taoist magic why do some of us doubt the hoppy hoppy stuff
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan