Mma and short power

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Mma and short power

Postby dspyrido on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:46 pm

Short power is a training goal in ima but is it relevant in mma?

Would an mma judge give point recognition to short power? Nope for several reasons.

Next are the gloves which are dampeners of the effect so the tools for applying this are other body parts. Frankly short power using the other attacking points (remaining 6 of the 7 stars) as short power requires a fair amount of dedicated practise. Also to mention is knowing how to apply it in a prone vs stand up position.

Couple that with the fully prepared, trt, blood transfusion, roid infested fighter we see a further dampening of shock weapons. Also to note - short strikes work nicely in those illegal impact points.

So where does that leave short power in mma? Answer if you are applying short power in mma you better knock the opponent out because you wont win on points.

Which raises a lot of repercussions like .... (the rest is left for discussion).
dspyrido
Wuji

Re: Mma and short power

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Interesting, but short power is just one type of Jin. I've found great success recently with more of a swinging, whippy Jin and Heng and Shu Jin. These can be used with or without gloves and still penetrate. I think I'll have an experiment to see how much power is diminished with gloves on..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:42 pm

dspyrido wrote:Couple that with the fully prepared, trt, blood transfusion, roid infested fighter we see a further dampening of shock weapons. Also to note - short strikes work nicely in those illegal impact points.

Most strikes work nicely for those illegal impact points. Tis' why they're illegal.

I did enjoy the first UFCs where a good ball punch could be relied on for my adolescent entertainment. Some guys could really take a punch. Maybe some short power was in order.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby dspyrido on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Orpheus wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Couple that with the fully prepared, trt, blood transfusion, roid infested fighter we see a further dampening of shock weapons. Also to note - short strikes work nicely in those illegal impact points.

Most strikes work nicely for those illegal impact points. Tis' why they're illegal.

I did enjoy the first UFCs where a good ball punch could be relied on for my adolescent entertainment. Some guys could really take a punch. Maybe some short power was in order.

Ah but if it's a short sweet strike then you don't see it coming and more importantly - neither does the crowd! It's very short selling on the ticket end to have someone tap a guy and watch them fall wincing in pain. Even worse is to wear someone down with little pokes and not end with any spectacular finish. Judges are conditioned to promote spectacular.

But since we are on the topic:

Couldn't of happened to a nicer guy. -sarcasm-
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:18 am

If your short power is affected by mma gloves then your short power will be useless in winter or cold contries. Any shit is effective on illegal points ;D
Last edited by jaime_g on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:53 am

I am actually working on Short Power for some MMA guys at the moment! :D Definitely useful and a test of coaching when it is well outside of the normal training methodologies.

The problem i am finding is getting people to relax enough for it to really work. Gloves aren't so relevant as i am mainly using it through the shoulder or elbow when they are pinned to the fence etc. I have also used short force with the palm inside the clinch resulting in the heavyweight i was working with having to 'take a moment' ... :D

As a further point, it is useful to 'open them up' for other longer strikes or to crack the arms. I don't think we should necessarily be looking at these things as fight enders in this environment, the guys you are facing are expecting strikes, and are well conditioned to receive them.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 am

Have you guys been following Karl, the "kinetic punch" guy on Facebook?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:55 am

middleway wrote:I am actually working on Short Power for some MMA guys at the moment! :D Definitely useful and a test of coaching when it is well outside of the normal training methodologies.

The problem i am finding is getting people to relax enough for it to really work. Gloves aren't so relevant as i am mainly using it through the shoulder or elbow when they are pinned to the fence etc. I have also used short force with the palm inside the clinch resulting in the heavyweight i was working with having to 'take a moment' ... :D

As a further point, it is useful to 'open them up' for other longer strikes or to crack the arms. I don't think we should necessarily be looking at these things as fight enders in this environment, the guys you are facing are expecting strikes, and are well conditioned to receive them.

How different is this to Chad Mendes' elbows from the guard on Connor? To be honest I'm not sure how much harder he could have made those!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:04 am

GrahamB wrote:Have you guys been following Karl, the "kinetic punch" guy on Facebook?

You mean "Kaaarl" the "bearpaw" guy? Really?!?
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:07 am

Disclaimer - I wasn't present at this but know the guy involved, I used to teach him and he has trained with Vladimir. Will be investigating this further at some point. And yes I know, it's (presumably) hitting a stationary target, there's more to strikes than "power" etc, but it may be interesting

http://theselfdefenceexpert.com/systema-how-it-beat-pro-boxers-in-a-scientific-power-study/
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:43 am

middleway wrote:I am actually working on Short Power for some MMA guys at the moment! :D Definitely useful and a test of coaching when it is well outside of the normal training methodologies.

The problem i am finding is getting people to relax enough for it to really work.

Bingo! We have a Winner!!!

-bow- -bow- -bow-

;D
Last edited by Bao on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 am

RobP2 wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Have you guys been following Karl, the "kinetic punch" guy on Facebook?

You mean "Kaaarl" the "bearpaw" guy? Really?!?

I, er, didn't offer an opinion on his work ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 am

How different is this to Chad Mendes' elbows from the guard on Connor? To be honest I'm not sure how much harder he could have made those!

Its pretty different. The vast majority of this stuff i am doing is standing. Although we have worked with using the knee on the ground. Will video some next time to have a look at.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:26 am

dspyrido wrote:
But since we are on the topic:

Couldn't of happened to a nicer guy. -sarcasm-

Ah, the good old days.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby dspyrido on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:04 pm

jaime_g wrote:If your short power is affected by mma gloves then your short power will be useless in winter or cold contries. Any shit is effective on illegal points ;D

Padding makes a difference whether it is short or long force. But the fact that short force usually only focuses on a short penetration for quick pull back will be more impacted when padding is involved. For example imagine these happy lads doing this with mma. Then consider no gloves. I can't see these pillow fights doing much to someones eyes or throat. Even solar plexus and ribs are fine with old 18oz gloves. As each layer comes off things get just a little more tuned.

But as mentioned before - in mma most judges won't care or see it as relevant. So either knock the opponent out or do something that will earn more points.
dspyrido
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan