Push hands ... legs .. elbows ...body?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Push hands ... legs .. elbows ...body?

Postby windwalker on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:40 pm

dspyrido wrote:
LaoDan wrote:Perhaps XYZ has already been defined, at least in the Yang Shao-Hou curriculum/lineage:

In an interview from China Wushu Magazine (http://goldeneaglemac.com/?p=62) from the mid seventies with Chang Yiu-Chun a student of Yang Shao-Hou (from 1911 until Yang’s death in 1930;

Really enjoyed this interview. Some great commentary with a lot of intrigue & controversy. Not sure if it's all accurate or not but still thought provoking.

A. Firstly he would not recognize the name because it was not called Taijiquan until fairly recently. He would even recognize what is being taught in his name today. Unless he saw the Yang Shao-Hou style

interesting interview

No, only my behind was sore when I hit the floor :o , I did not feel anything at first but later there was some slight swelling around where he struck me.

Q. And did you eventually learn these techniques.

A. Only when I had been with Yang for many years and even though I was a family member, I had to prove myself to be an honorable person.

Q. What do you mean by an honorable person.

A. By that I mean that I would never go out and use these techniques for the purpose of being boastful or to show off. Yang taught that if we were ever provoked that we should try to play the coward first of all but if that failed then we must act so quickly as to not allow our attackers to know which techniques we were using.

seems kinda the opposite of what many here ask about and practice for.

What happened after Yang Shao-Hou died, the style seemed to disappear.

A. Yes, the few senior students of Yang Shao-Hou decided that it would be best not to teach what we knew to everyone and so we all went our different ways to teach only a selected few students.

Q. How many students did you have?

A. I only taught about seven people what I knew and they in turn did not teach many.

very different way of thinking. no internet back then no utube.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:19 pm

What should XYZ be if we look at this training path?

form -> PH -> XYZ -> sparring (kick/punch/lock/throw integration)

IMO,

- PH can be used to train how to detect opportunity, set up opportunity, make an entry (entering strategy).
- XYZ is the "partner drill" that should be used to develop finish technique (finish strategy).

You can't develop any MA skill without going through XYZ (partner drills)? If you want to develop your "hip throw", you will need to use your "partner drill" to throw your opponent over your back at least 10,000 time.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:40 am

I realize that many individuals consider san shou to be free sparring, but I am pretty certain that what was being referred to was the choreographed san shou (done to learn the choreography, then sped up, then done out of order):

John, you can see the addition of foot sweeps, elbows, etc. in the applications of the choreographed form. After that, then one could try applying it in free sparring.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:25 pm

LaoDan wrote:I realize that many individuals consider san shou to be free sparring, but I am pretty certain that what was being referred to was the choreographed san shou (done to learn the choreography, then sped up, then done out of order):

John, you can see the addition of foot sweeps, elbows, etc. in the applications of the choreographed form. After that, then one could try applying it in free sparring.

That training should fit well between PH and sparring.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Here's some sticky stuff (and I don't mean exchanging bodily fluids) that goes outside of fixed step parameters. No claims of whether it is right or wrong. Just some examples for this topic.

Some moving drills but still hand to hand

Shoulders and armpits

Pushing hands to head

Push hands then to legs and then to some wrestling moves

Bit more PH to wrestling

Some roushou that goes into throws

More roushou demos

Some Okinawan stuff but its limb on limb

Some WC examples
Chi Sao

Lap Sau

Chi Gerk