Meaning of juezhao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Meaning of juezhao

Postby cloudz on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:28 am

Wuyizidi is speaking from the perspective of Chinese internal and external arts. last time I checked martial arts from other cultures and countries don't have such a designation. On that basis any comparison is destined to be problematic.

It's not even a case of "we only do it like this, they only do it like that", in any case. It's often far more about what approach and what emphasis (a system/style(s)) training undergoes and what that results in. It's crazy to think end results in fighting are going to be wildly different, other than stylistic and or qualitative.

Further if you just took a single boxing division, you'll be able to figure that despite everything being known and out there doesn't result in everyone being equal, having the same style, power etc.

So all in all, neither partisan internal/external argument is ever going to be clear cut. Because other than the core training modality which is the most extreme dual distinction there is always crossover. As indeed even in the most extreme dual distinction there is still the dot of the other within. And from there that dot can only increase.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Re: Meaning of juezhao

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 am

Wuyizidi wrote:
edededed wrote:Hey Wuyizidi, good to see you back :D

Great description of juezhao! In my experience, though, baguazhang does have a set of juezhao (72 juezhao) - perhaps reflecting its somewhat eclectic nature (it likes to do everything). Of course as you say, no technique is 100% foolproof, but one way to keep effectiveness is to keep their knowledge secret (because if everyone knows, it probably won't work so well).

But to be honest, some sets of "powers" (like xingyi's "dantian strike" skill) are more "absolute" than the juezhao (which are more like well-thought techniques - maybe due to the word "zhao").

My experience with taijiquan is much less, but I wonder if there are any similar sorts of things in taiji, too.

Thank you, been busy with work and book project.

Hmm, who came up with those 72 juezhao?

I think you're right. No matter what techniques are used, at a fundamental level martial art is still about exerting a force on the opponent. Internal martial art is about developing general ability to deal with all major types of forces in a sophisticated manner that covered all variations of how those forces can be applied.

Book? Is it a taiji book? I want to know more! :D

As for the 72 juezhao - of course, according to tradition they come from Dong Haichuan (but who knows?).
edededed
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan