What does "fight mode" mean to you?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

What does "fight mode" mean to you?

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:54 am

I was thinking about Craig's thread about flying knee dance fighting, and I was wondering - what does your "fight mode" look like in terms of mindset and tactics?
Ian

Re: What does "fight mode" mean to you?

Postby WongYing on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 am

Entering into a temporary state of cold psychosis
WongYing
Huajing

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:25 am

Run away and see if they got 6 miles in 'em
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:26 am

It's a matter of semantics to some extent, but I don't have a "fight" mode. I don't engage in fights. Fights are for paid professionals and untrained dominance contenders. At least by mindset, I either avoid, de-escalate, egress, or neutralize. That means when I recognize a situation as being potentially dangerous, I attempt to avoid it if I can. If I am already present, I will attempt to leave if it is safe to do so. If egress isn't immediately available without at least verbal engagement, or if I am convinced of the need to become involved in the situation, then I will attempt to de-escalate. If de-escalation is unsuccessful and egress is not possible, I neutralize as many individuals as necessary until egress can be achieved.

Neutralizing someone in this context doesn't refer to the movie term, necessarily. Yes, it can mean taking someone's life if that becomes necessary, but it can also mean striking, injuring or otherwise rendering the person incapable of further attack. It can mean changing his intention to attack either through direct physical action on him or by his witnessing direct action on another of his accomplices or by presentation of a weapon. It can also mean controlling and restraining the individual. The latter is impossible/unwise to attempt with more than one assailant.

Several years ago, I chose to view potentially hostile encounters the very same way that I would if I were acting as personal protection for a client, only the client is myself and/or my loved ones. I act/decide in exactly the same manner. This turns out in all circumstances to be the best set of choices and actions for the safe protection of my own life or that of my loved ones as it would be if the client were someone else. I've written on this concept here a while back, but I'm not sure if the thread survived the move/schism of EF.
Chris McKinley

Postby I am... on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:It's a matter of semantics to some extent, but I don't have a "fight" mode. I don't engage in fights. Fights are for paid professionals and untrained dominance contenders. At least by mindset, I either avoid, de-escalate, egress, or neutralize. That means when I recognize a situation as being potentially dangerous, I attempt to avoid it if I can. If I am already present, I will attempt to leave if it is safe to do so. If egress isn't immediately available without at least verbal engagement, or if I am convinced of the need to become involved in the situation, then I will attempt to de-escalate. If de-escalation is unsuccessful and egress is not possible, I neutralize as many individuals as necessary until egress can be achieved.

Neutralizing someone in this context doesn't refer to the movie term, necessarily. Yes, it can mean taking someone's life if that becomes necessary, but it can also mean striking, injuring or otherwise rendering the person incapable of further attack. It can mean changing his intention to attack either through direct physical action on him or by his witnessing direct action on another of his accomplices or by presentation of a weapon. It can also mean controlling and restraining the individual. The latter is impossible/unwise to attempt with more than one assailant.

Several years ago, I chose to view potentially hostile encounters the very same way that I would if I were acting as personal protection for a client, only the client is myself and/or my loved ones. I act/decide in exactly the same manner. This turns out in all circumstances to be the best set of choices and actions for the safe protection of my own life or that of my loved ones as it would be if the client were someone else. I've written on this concept here a while back, but I'm not sure if the thread survived the move/schism of EF.

I enjoyed this post, thanks for writing that up Chris. Great way to phrase things, as well as touched on a couple of points I hadn't looked at that way.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Ben on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:It's a matter of semantics to some extent, but I don't have a "fight" mode. I don't engage in fights. Fights are for paid professionals and untrained dominance contenders. At least by mindset, I either avoid, de-escalate, egress, or neutralize. That means when I recognize a situation as being potentially dangerous, I attempt to avoid it if I can. If I am already present, I will attempt to leave if it is safe to do so. If egress isn't immediately available without at least verbal engagement, or if I am convinced of the need to become involved in the situation, then I will attempt to de-escalate. If de-escalation is unsuccessful and egress is not possible, I neutralize as many individuals as necessary until egress can be achieved.

+1
Great post!
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:57 am

Good post by McKinley, a sound, common sense strategy that reveals a lot of mature thinking.

But more to the point: Your lexis is masterly, Chris.

"Egress."

I bow before the greater wordsmith.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:15 am

Is that some kind o' bird then?
edededed
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan