Charging foreigners more

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Charging foreigners more

Postby chenyaolong on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:48 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I hardly think that this niche forum qualifies as public. I felt like he was just complaining to people that would understand after a frustrating experience.

Anyways, my master said that very few groups in Shanghai spar openly, but that he knows some people that do; including XYLHQ. Let me know if you want me to ask him for more information. Are there any other arts that you are interested in?

Sure thing.... XYLH would make the most sense, as I just spent the last month doing its basics for a good hour a day, would be a waste to throw it away. But Im open to any style if they are sparring a lot.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:54 am

Would it be possible to resurrect the old Shanghai sparring group? The people who train under Master Shen etc. Kudo masks for people who have bosses :)

I will happily throw down with you, any rules, when I'm next in town. Friendly style, of course ;D
Ian

Postby chenyaolong on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 am

Ian wrote:Would it be possible to resurrect the old Shanghai sparring group? The people who train under Master Shen etc. Kudo masks for people who have bosses :)

I will happily throw down with you, any rules, when I'm next in town. Friendly style, of course ;D

Planning a get together every Sunday with Antony and Jon.... I believe most of Master Shen's students have all left town, but if anybody on this forum is in Shanghai, you would be welcome to join in.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:33 am

Regarding "bad China days", for the 8 years Ive been here... I think I do pretty well!

and then there is the day :) .

Now I've been living here a long time, I've met a lot of teachers here. This is my first time to encounter this kind of thing, although I have heard of it.

I dont really care about money... but its the principle of knowing somebody has been dishonest to you and everybody is laughing behind your back....

Has anybody else encountered this? What do you think about it? Maybe im just too naive

I think anyone who's spent time there has had them.
If one hasnt had one,
they havent been there long enough they'er just tourist passing through.

luck in your travels ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:08 pm

chenyaolong wrote:
grzegorz wrote:I have to say that I think the OP did a good job of not mentioning names. Facebook might have been different and although I have an account I only go on their once in awhile so although I can't speak on what went on there as far as RSF I diidn't see this thread as direct criticism in any way as much as a westerner having "a bad China day."

Well my facebook privacy settings are quite closed, so only friends can see it. I did remove the post later.

Regarding "bad China days", for the 8 years Ive been here... I think I do pretty well!

Of course you do, but bad China days are just part of living in China even if you have been there for twenty years. Thanks for clarifying I just assumed that someone there that long would expect those kinds of things in the kungfu community because the same happens here in the San Francisco kungfu community which is why I no longer bother with them, I just do my own thing. What can I say? Whenever encountering a group of martial artists there are people who will threatened by the sight of a new guy (even if they're highly skilled they feel the need to prove it) yet for whatever reason in kungfu it seems to happen more but I think that probably has a lot to do with Chinese culture.

China was never boring, I will say that much. But for me it's no place to spend your life either.

windwalker wrote:

and then there is the day :) .

Now I've been living here a long time, I've met a lot of teachers here. This is my first time to encounter this kind of thing, although I have heard of it.

I dont really care about money... but its the principle of knowing somebody has been dishonest to you and everybody is laughing behind your back....

Has anybody else encountered this? What do you think about it? Maybe im just too naive

I think anyone who's spent time there has had them.
If one hasnt had one,
they havent been there long enough they'er just tourist passing through.

luck in your travels ;)

Yes, I have been there too Wind. I have been there too.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Yes, I have been there too Wind. I have been there too.

;)

I have great respect for those who've managed to make a life there.
At one time I might have done the same. Almost did :-\

Still might in Taiwan, "china lite"
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Agree strongly with Gregorz and Windwalker.... China is not a place I think I could spend my whole life. I've just started a degree, and after that (4 years) Im planning to move elsewhere. I love the Chinese culture and have had a great time here... but if I was gonna consider having a family, it's not somewhere I could settle for so many reasons.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:29 am

Taiwan is nice.

At least there when the cops show up they're not looking for a bribe.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:07 am

I'll see what I can find out for you.

I totally concur with not spending an entire lifetime here. In many ways, China is fucked, but I sure have had fun here. I plan to stay just several years longer.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:10 am

Interestingly, I always charge Chinese people more to learn Tai Chi from me than Europeans. Is that wrong?

Edit: Oh, and double for Americans, obviously. Goes without saying. ;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:15 am

GrahamB wrote:Interestingly, I always charge Chinese people more to learn Tai Chi from me than Europeans. Is that wrong?

Charging Chinese more is totally wrong.... but Americans... I can go with that :P
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:04 am

windwalker wrote:
SNIP

Still might in Taiwan, "China lite"

My tagline was always 'Kind of Like Mainland, Without Most of The BS'
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:24 am

Differentiated fees - Universities do it all the time - its called Financial Aid - the hot button issue is he criteria.

Harvard admissions and qualified Chinese applicants.

Equity decisions are always tough no matter where you teach - especially at the elite Tai Chi Universities! LOL
Last edited by Bob on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 am

GrahamB wrote:Interestingly, I always charge Chinese people more to learn Tai Chi from me than Europeans. Is that wrong?

How about Mexican Americans? Do they get a discount? ;)

Actually that's good logic Graham. If someone from China can afford the flight to England they should be able to afford to pay more for TJQ.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:58 am

There's a "foreigner tax" wherever you go. Usually, you have to catch them doing it. Do foreigners pay more for cab rides :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan