Japanes Magazines on IMA/CMA

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Japanes Magazines on IMA/CMA

Postby jbb73 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:19 am

Hy,

is it right, that the two Japanese Magazines on IMA/CMA, that is the Wushu and Wuyun, were stopped some years ago?

Does somebody know the Hiden and its focus?
And are there other japanese magazines concentrating on IMA oder CMA?

Thanks!
jbb73
Mingjing

Re: Japanes Magazines on IMA/CMA

Postby Finny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:54 am

Hiden regularly has articles on IMA/CMA
Finny
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:19 am

Never heard of Wuyun. Wushu was a totally awesome magazine that was suddenly stopped in... oh, 2004 or 2005 or so maybe? The reason was apparently due to the company president getting mad and firing all his Wushu employees one day... asshole!

Hiden is mostly about Japanese martial arts; IMHO, its CMA articles pander to the typical Japanese martial artists' views of CMA, e.g. emphasis on styles like bajiquan (due to comics and such in decades past) and taikiken/yiquan.

Wushu was awesome because it was a magazine for people who really knew about CMA - articles were quite sophisticated and interesting, without being pseudo-scholarly, either.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby jbb73 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 am

Hy,

and thanks.

Wuyun (武芸) is/was very similar in quality and contents to Wushu; at least from the one exemplar I have.

So that´s my first impression of Hiden also; some stuff, but more on the surface.
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 am

Ah - you mean Bugei magazine. I only bought a few - struck me as similar to Hiden magazine (not really a CMA magazine, if I remember correctly - and CMA articles are like Hiden ones, i.e. bajiquan, yiquan/taikiken, etc.).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Classical Fighting Arts is an excellent mag, is pretty much current (topics) and though its base is Okinawan influence on Japanese MA, it periodically has some great references to Southern Chinese MA and its influence on Okiwanan martial foundations.

Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo are periodic contributors along with Stanley Henning

www.classicalfightingarts.org
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby jbb73 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 pm

So I´m using the old thread for my new question:

Somebody here who has some of the japanese Wushu-Magazines and is willingly to sell them?

And/or do you know some Internet-Sites, where I could look for (and buy) them?
(I´ve have access to Amazon Japan, most of the old issues sold there I already have. At Ebay I did not find a single one...)
jbb73
Mingjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan