Real Training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Real Training

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 pm

johnwang wrote:..."aging smart" is to maintain your flexibility.

Excellent point, John. Anyone who develops optimal leg strength and flexibility before the diminished athleticism and natural weakening of older age begins will be able to enjoy much greater mobility and general physical activity in their later years than people who don't. Overall quality of life is no doubt greatly diminished for people who are bed ridden or dependent upon using a walker or a wheelchair to slowly get around. :/
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Doc Stier wrote:enjoy much greater mobility and general physical activity in their later years ...

One of my friends told me that he can't even bend down to cut his own toe nails. What kind of quality life can he has if his body is that tight?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:46 am

echo of Doc and John posts:
keepin` body flexible = youth till the end
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:49 am

I agree except no one in the video is over 25. Where is the video of the old people doing crescent kicks?

On a side note, I told Dan Harden I could no longer kick over my head since I stopped doing taiji. He said, "Who cares?" Well, I do.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

Muscle elasticity is just a matter of training, if you trained sufficiently when younger your body will not forget. If youre sixty and you haven't stretched in a while you're a fool to go out and try to kick up like the video, yet with some simple stretches you will be able to. As well as the dan harden response, no kick goes above the waist in a real fight anyway. Remember though, the more lose the body the greater the speed and the lesser the chance of stress injury. So you train always, age is no factor, kinda like sex you just do it slower and with more ease of comfort, can't force anything ;D 8-)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Taste of Death wrote:Where is the video of the old people doing crescent kicks?

Here is 马英图 (Ma Ying Tu) during his old age. He was the Baiji instructor in Central Nanking MA Institute. My teacher learned Baiji from him. IMO, the high front kick is much harder to do than the crescent kick. To swing your leg over your head without bending your knee joint is easy (such as the crescent kick). To kick over your head from knee bending is harder. Ma's kicking leg and rooting leg is almost in a straight line. He should have no problem to perform a forward-backward split on the ground during his old age.

Again, if you have single leg balance like this, your chance of falling down and break your hip during your old age will be reduced.

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan