"BJJ is useless!"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "BJJ is useless!"

Postby johnwang on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:51 pm

windwalker wrote:for those saying they practice taiji, feeling that the others have equal to or more sensitivity "ting jin" really?

In wrestling, you train "抖(Dou) – Shaking". The moment that you feel your opponent tries to make a certain move, you shake him by giving him a quick push on his arm or shoulder. This way you can prevent your opponent from generating power and speed during the initial stage. But it requires you to have the ability to sense your opponent's intention no matter how small it may be.

In Taiji PH, you let your opponent to push you. You then rotate your body, yield, and push back.

Which training method will give you better "Ting Jin"? To prevent a power from generating in the early stage, or to allow the power to be generated and then yield into it afterward? It's much harder to sense a small energy (before it has been fully generated) and respond to it within 1/10 of a second. It's much easier to sense a much larger energy (after it has been fully generated) and respond to it within 1/2 second.

Beside the different training methods. If a Taiji guy plays PH 30 minutes and train solo form 30 minutes daily, a wrestler who wrestles 1 hours daily will definitely develop better "Ting Jin" because the double training time that has been invested.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:00 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:You couldn't get me on the ground,

Unless you use

- under hook,
- over hook, or
- leading arm jam back arm,

to "disable both of your opponent's arms ability" when you take him down, as long as your opponent has one hand on your body, he can drag you down with him.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:18 pm

JiuJitsu saved my life:

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/air-force- ... d-my-life/

Why would anyone actively not want to know this stuff?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Last edited by Taste of Death on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Which training method will give you better "Ting Jin"? To prevent a power from generating in the early stage, or to allow the power to be generated and then yield into it afterward?

Good "ting" is the ability to interpret strength. And, besides, the point would be to allow the power to be generated, and then allow it to become empty --as it must. It's true, however, that there's such a thing as "too late."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Why would anyone actively not want to know this stuff?

Thinking that's the question is a mistake. Of course it would be great to just know, but what is keeping one from it? I'd love to learn it if it was cheaper than it is and convenient and I had the time. For me personally why would I not want to train it? Because I'm happy spending my time learning Gao Bagua which is every bit as much worth knowing.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:43 pm

It is simply following the direction of force, IMA 101, what is ther to learn?, oh!, chin na, joint locking. Study your art and grappling is there.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Trip on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:44 pm

GrahamB wrote:JiuJitsu saved my life:

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/air-force- ... d-my-life/

That man is a hero.

However, the video you linked has been heavily edited and paints an inaccurate picture of how he survived.
The edited video makes his re-telling of the incident sound like jujitsu was the ultimate factor in his survival.

But, in the early videos of him and his friends, he stated he almost was killed.
Because the bad guy had a razor and was slicing his neck and a "just a nick away" from his Carotid Artery.

I am not focused on how other styles might have dealt with an opponent with a hidden razor.
I am saying information that the assailant was about to kill him even though our hero had him in a jujitsu hold,
Should not be ignored or omitted.

He clearly says in his early videos he would have quickly bled out and it would have been over. Except for one thing, his friends.
So, though it is true that he used jujitsu to take the assailant down; it was not jujitsu that saved him.
What saved him were his friends coming to his aid.

That does not diminish his heroic actions in the face of death.
I just think accurate info should be used when talking about how he ultimately survived.
Trip
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:59 pm

The real question is: who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee, and a ninja?
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrandUltimate on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Looks like the ninjas may have won that one
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Postby middleway on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 am

Depends on the ninja. If its Micheal Dunikov ... i think Bruce lee. If its Frank Dux ... thats a harder call.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:33 am

Ninja, because he would get Bruce Lee when he's sound asleep and wouldn't even know what happened. (Unless of course you count the mutant teenagers as valid contestants in this fascinating evaluation. :-X :))
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:22 am

johnwang wrote:
windwalker wrote:for those saying they practice taiji, feeling that the others have equal to or more sensitivity "ting jin" really?

In wrestling, you train "抖(Dou) – Shaking". The moment that you feel your opponent tries to make a certain move, you shake him by giving him a quick push on his arm or shoulder. This way you can prevent your opponent from generating power and speed during the initial stage. But it requires you to have the ability to sense your opponent's intention no matter how small it may be.

In Taiji PH, you let your opponent to push you. You then rotate your body, yield, and push back.

Which training method will give you better "Ting Jin"? To prevent a power from generating in the early stage, or to allow the power to be generated and then yield into it afterward? It's much harder to sense a small energy (before it has been fully generated) and respond to it within 1/10 of a second. It's much easier to sense a much larger energy (after it has been fully generated) and respond to it within 1/2 second.

Beside the different training methods. If a Taiji guy plays PH 30 minutes and train solo form 30 minutes daily, a wrestler who wrestles 1 hours daily will definitely develop better "Ting Jin" because the double training time that has been invested.

Hi John,

I personally think that disrupting the opponent’s power is (or should be) a part of TJQ training, as well as borrowing force; both of which depend on “Ting Jin”. Some point out the ‘nine pearl bends’ when talking about power disruption, or ‘breaking the chain’ either for disrupting the opponent’s power, or to attack using their structural deficiencies.

When I train TJQ push-hands, I am trying to understand the partner’s energy throughout the entire time that we are touching, not just after they have issued force. I seek out excesses (like in borrowing force) as well as deficiencies (like in exploiting broken chains).
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:31 am

the method that allows you to understand and sense intention is the better one IME, you never have to worry about dealing with the power directly.
plying pushhands or wrestling for specified time, develop different things and really have a different mind set with different strategies.
ph is to develop a type of skill to be used, wrestling is a method being used. not the same, others practices may be different.

People, do they know?
Though you may strike the flow of a river
no mark is left on the water

http://www.daito-ryu.org/en/takeda-sokaku.html
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:39 am

johnwang wrote:In wrestling, you train "抖(Dou) – Shaking". The moment that you feel your opponent tries to make a certain move, you shake him by giving him a quick push on his arm or shoulder. This way you can prevent your opponent from generating power and speed during the initial stage. But it requires you to have the ability to sense your opponent's intention no matter how small it may be.

I agree, but what you say about SC/wrestling is very much same in tai chi. What you speak about for tai chi is only for drills. Then you can yield or let your opponent push you and then yield. But for free PH and fighting, if you need to yield, it means that your timing is off or your opponent is better than you. You need to adapt to his body even when you don't touch hands and react to the slightest change he makes. This is real tai chi following skill, it's not about being able to take a push on your body.

Li Yaxuan:

Even before physical contact, with a single glance you join contact with the opponent or partner, establishing a firm connection with him. Adherence can begin even at this stage, prior to physical contact. This is important because when you are working in a more intensive competitive or combative mode, if you depend on physical contact to start your adherence, that’s too late and you’re going to be too slow to exploit any advantage of timing or positioning.

What is said above is very much my own experience as well.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan