Introducing Ye Style Taijiquan and Ye Dami

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Introducing Ye Style Taijiquan and Ye Dami

Postby wuwei sifu on Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:54 am

hi folks,
does anyone have any experience with this style, or know someone who actually plays it in the U.S. ?
i have run across his name before, but not this info. Spill the beans please if you do.
you can watch interesting clips after his sword form too. enjoy
http://xingyimax.com/introducing-ye-sty ... d-ye-dami/

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=81&v=NXVAkCMxHP4 [/youtube]
Last edited by wuwei sifu on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Re: Introducing Ye Style Taijiquan and Ye Dami

Postby wuwei sifu on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:59 am

what am i doing wrong ? the video does not show ? thx.
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Postby Bhassler on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:16 am

What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:37 am

Bhassler wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVAkCMxHP4[/]

You know... There are things that could be discussed from a more classical tai chi styles perspective... But that shenfa/ body method is absolutely extraordinary. One of the very best performances I've seen on the tubes. :)
Last edited by Bao on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:48 am

Bao wrote:But that shenfa/ body method is absolutely extraordinary. One of the very best performances I've seen on the tubes. :)

Interesting. I see some good elements, such as use of the kua, some opening and closing, but I also see overly-engaged shoulders, elbows above the shoulders and some seemingly disconnected arm movements that certainly prevent it from being "one of the very best performances". Different strokes...I guess.
charles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:37 pm

charles wrote:
Bao wrote:But that shenfa/ body method is absolutely extraordinary. One of the very best performances I've seen on the tubes. :)

Interesting. I see some good elements, such as use of the kua, some opening and closing, but I also see overly-engaged shoulders, elbows above the shoulders and some seemingly disconnected arm movements that certainly prevent it from being "one of the very best performances". Different strokes...I guess.

Some disconnected movements, I agree. Not a "one single movement performance" and not everything moving together at the whole time, I agree. But I couldn't care less about the restrictive rules about not raising elbows and shoulders,which is of course suitable to qigong, but for martial arts, you often need to break such rules. What I like is that he draws every movement from the spine and his whole back is in movement. Very soft and supple throughout the whole back. Not many can coordinate the spine and scapula so well, it takes time and a certain type of practice to reach that point. He seem to have a different focus than common tai chi form practice, and frankly, I see this as a positive thing. The performance reminds me a bit about LHBF and Fu style TJQ, and even old Wu/Hao. Tai Chi form rules are sometime too much qigong, too little martial arts. But of course, you need to have practiced the rules and understood them in a deeper sense before you should break them.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 am

It's crap
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby zhenwu on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:26 pm

i also don't like it.. lower spine looks not relaxed (moves to much) .. and the wavy hand movements with high shoulders..
zhenwu
Santi

Postby Bao on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:34 pm

zhenwu wrote: and the wavy hand movements with high shoulders..

Everyone knows about not raising the shoulders and keeping the elbows hanging down. So you should ask yourself why he breaks these very basic, most common rules. Is there a reason behind it or is he just a moron? The body method is different. This is not your everyday grandmother's tai chi.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:43 am

Bao wrote: So you should ask yourself why he breaks these very basic, most common rules. Is there a reason behind it or is he just a moron? The body method is different.

Okay, I'll bite, in a friendly sort of way.

What is the reason, or is he just a moron? You've stated that the body method is different and that this is one of very the best performances, which implies you know the body method he is using and that it is a good presentation of that method. So, what is he doing and why?
charles
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:22 am

You don't see it come up too often, and most people (including Chinese) don't know that 'Sink elbows' should actually be 'Pour (like a liquid) out the elbow' "沈[瀋]肘" Shen Zhuo (pour elbow). The simplified character for 沈 Shen is also a variant character for Chen 沉 (Sink), hence the confusion.

The meaning behind 沈[瀋] Shen is because the elbow looks kind of like a teapot and as long as it's in the right configuration to pour out the spout, then it can be anywhere in relation to one's shoulder and still be in the proper requirements.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:03 am

charles wrote:
Bao wrote: So you should ask yourself why he breaks these very basic, most common rules. Is there a reason behind it or is he just a moron? The body method is different.

Okay, I'll bite, in a friendly sort of way.

What is the reason, or is he just a moron? You've stated that the body method is different and that this is one of very the best performances, which implies you know the body method he is using and that it is a good presentation of that method. So, what is he doing and why?

First, I am a big fan of many differentmethods, like super soft, relaxed sinking strength to the feet and use power from the ground. I am also a fan of methods that explore the possibilities of movements and isolation of specific body parts to find the range and optimum movement for that particular body part. Also, I don't believe that those two seemingly very different philosophies of body method are mutually exclusive. we need to explore whole body coordination, coordinate the body as a whole. We also need to explore the body and the potential of different body parts, so we can make the most full use of every part of the body. IME, both are important. The vid is an example of this second philosophy, trying to teach the body to make full use of individul parts of the body,which is why some of the movements might seem too extreme and contradictory to common tai chi principles. This kind of training can lead to skills as in this vid and similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKv-skv6hA
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 am

Bao wrote: The vid is an example of this second philosophy, trying to teach the body to make full use of individul parts of the body,which is why some of the movements might seem too extreme and contradictory to common tai chi principles.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't see that really happening in that video.

This kind of training can lead to skills as in this vid and similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKv-skv6hA

Maybe.

I love the shoulder-ratcheting trick. I can do that too, as can anyone who can curve the length of their spine, rotate their waist and close their chest. ;D The shoulder rotation between each "lengthening" is theatrics aimed at distracting the viewer's attention from what is really happening.
charles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:58 am

It's ok to be a tea pot
But this one leaks
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:45 pm

charles wrote:
Bao wrote: The vid is an example of this second philosophy, trying to teach the body to make full use of individul parts of the body,which is why some of the movements might seem too extreme and contradictory to common tai chi principles.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't see that really happening in that video.

Ok... You can't see that he doesn't only raise up his shoulders, but lift the shoulders using the back and scapula. Fine, I guess the mechanics are just too different.... Big movements, too evident for tai chi in a sense. But everything is done from the spine, even shoulders and elbows. If he just lifted his elbows and shoulders, it would be stupid and unecessary, but it's not what he does.

Maybe.

I love the shoulder-ratcheting trick. I can do that too, as can anyone who can curve the length of their spine, rotate their waist and close their chest. ;D The shoulder rotation between each "lengthening" is theatrics aimed at distracting the viewer's attention from what is really happening.

Sorry, but you are wrong. It's a very loose scapula. One of my teachers could do the same, no need to use any other body part, everything else is still, only scapula is moving. He can also fold back his shoulders so he seemingly lose about 50% of his shoulder width and make the shoulder blade bone stand out straight from the back. It's a part of isolation practice, like dantian practice in Chen style or maybe similar to what yogis do. This kind of practice will give your body a greater range of movement, valuable for throws, striking, applications, what ever.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan