Trapping

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Trapping

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 am

A lot of people claim that trapping doesn't work in "real fighting". Usually the reason is because they haven't met anyone that can trap in a real fight.

* It's harder to learn than just punching someone in the face! It requires a lot of practise to develop Tingjin, without which it is nigh impossible not to get your arse kicked when trying to trap.
* Training in trapping range is only one of the ranges to train in! If one only trains trapping and squares off against a boxer in boxing range, a reality check will soon appear! I'd wager that the boxer could get out of trapping range easier than the trapper trying to get into it and make more of their techniques work in even that range, if said trapper didn't train long range and how to close the distance.
* Rather, the best way is to train in all ranges and eventually all of the ranges will flow into each other and the different techniques and tactics will overlap.
* More than just trapping can be done in trapping range, so take advantage of that, but also be aware of what the opponent does. It likely isn't trapping!
* No one traps the whole time (unless their opponent sucks balls or is trying to trap them at the same time)!
* Trapping should happen by reflex and is not forced. It's always to set up something else. The same is true for Qinna. If one flows into a lock and the opponent thwarts it, whack them in the face/balls whilst they are distracted and try again or flow into something else! Don't force it.
* When training things like Tuishou or Chishou and some new person gets the upper hand, the fault lies not with them not following the "rules" but with you limiting yourself to staying in them, when no one else does. Focus on changing yourself first before trying to educate others.
* Using trapping skills it becomes possible to completely catch one's opponent off guard with a devastating attack from otherwise awkward angles and at targets that are rarely exposed.

In conclusion, one of the telltale signs that someone doesn't have [Chinese] Gongfu is that they can't trap. Without trapping it just becomes kickboxing with some throws.This doesn't mean that one should endeavour to trap all day, but that it should be an indispensable part of our respective arsenals. So fuck everyone that says "all fighting looks the same". Indeed, it does not..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Trapping

Postby Patrick on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:38 am

I was always very interested in trapping. The way I learned trapping is more to learn to punch through his open doors, e.g.
1. Punch
2. If your arm connects, try to slip through an open door.

Never actually try to trap his arms. In uncooperative settings I have never seen it work that way. But it would be cool ;D
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:53 am

A very basic fighting strategy in most traditional IMA styles is to Enter, Trap and Hit. Essentially, this means to Enter (bridge and make contact), Trap (attach, adhere and control), and Hit (apply simultaneous countermeasures, i.e. strike, kick, throw, etc.). A relatively simple strategy, but one which requires properly trained and equal skill in all three phases of application. -shrug-
Last edited by Doc Stier on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:28 am

I know it'll sound arrogant, but hey ! It's me -shrug- , trapping is schoolyard basic, the same way I feel grappling, you strike he blocks you shake/grab him and hit again, it's how most schoolyard fights end up on the ground. Yes I know with our skills being what they are it's far more sophisticated, but the basic is the same, you don't look to trap you catch the trap. By making your opponent busy you can set the trap, as their defense ales them like a hungry animal lookin for food. They are looking for a chance to strike back and you are three steps ahead. Trapping is simply in knowing your targets, if you strike out you know what you leave open, so basically already know where your opponent will strike, trap set.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:15 am

Isnt that what Xsing Yi is?

Isn't it what Gung Ting is?
roger hao

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Good post. Trapping (and grabbing) IMO should last only long enough to set the opponent up for a strike or throw.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Trapping as I have found it to work:

Strike, if something is in the way, trap in such a way that there is an opening to strike/clinch, then strike/clinch. Chasing hands is too slow and dangerous.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:04 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Good post. Trapping (and grabbing) IMO should last only long enough to set the opponent up for a strike or throw.

Agreed. It is merely a means to that end. That's why the basic strategy is to Enter, Trap and HIT! -shrug-
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Good post. Trapping (and grabbing) IMO should last only long enough to set the opponent up for a strike or throw.

That should definitely have been on my list! Thanks!

Also, sometimes one barely makes contact whilst trapping. It's all about the next step.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:46 pm

First most basic trap, Jab/hook.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 pm

Saying that trapping is good doesn't negate the effectiveness of boxing.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 am

Interesting subject thanks.

Trapping should trap the opponents entire body not just the limb IME regardless of contact point. The opponent should feel like they are 'trapped' in a corner with one escape route, and because you know this escape route your finishing move is easier. This is my aim with Trapping, put them into a completely defensive/recovery cycle from the first touch and during their recovery phase attack them to finish. Sam Chin has some amazing skills at this, as does Serge Augier and my Aiki teacher.

I think this concept is fundamentally the same for ChinNa, but instead of being trapped in a corner, your whole body is locked into position, again, regardless of contact point. Then once again, during their recovery phase the finishing move is applied.

Also it is worth notice that even with good strikers, trapping opportunities can be created. For instance, Serge would do something called 'capturing the gaze/eyes' and it was extremely hard to stop even thought the opponent is trained.

thanks
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:43 am

This whole thread is weird because hand trapping is a part of boxing and Muay Thai. I'm like..... er.... ???

Here it is in kickboxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAVxYY0hf-4

Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:33 am

That's definitely not what I consider to be trapping. Just my personal opinion. It's all good! :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 am

Korea n-mantis , moving through the trapping range
to a throw or take down.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan