Trapping

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Trapping

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:25 am

Doc Stier wrote:That's definitely not what I consider to be trapping. Just my personal opinion. It's all good! :)

Catch up Doc, -oldman- things have moved on since your day :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZVlwLluF4Y

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:45 am

Trapping is and has been present in fighting for as long as there have been people. Fighting has not changed, though what is popular has certainly shifted many, many times.

http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:16 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:First most basic trap, Jab/hook.

As in arm wrapping? Isn't that more a kind of set up for arm wrapping?

middleway wrote:Trapping should trap the opponents entire body not just the limb IME regardless of contact point. The opponent should feel like they are 'trapped' in a corner with one escape route, and because you know this escape route your finishing move is easier. This is my aim with Trapping, put them into a completely defensive/recovery cycle from the first touch and during their recovery phase attack them to finish. ...

...For instance, Serge would do something called 'capturing the gaze/eyes' and it was extremely hard to stop even thought the opponent is trained.

Interesting... I associate the term trapping mostly with leg maneuvers, making an opponent stationary. Of course, you can lock someone's root from connecting hands with hands, but I don't consider that trapping. In IMA, the first thing you do is trying to lock him up, but there are many ways to do it. (Not that it's always easy to pull it of,) but trapping is IMHO only one of many way to lock up position or structure. ...

...Hmmmm.... :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 am

As a schoolyard basic, you throw the jab he reaches to fan it and you grab the arm and punch him in the jaw, childhood bullshit, that later translated very well into Xing I.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:50 am

GrahamB wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:That's definitely not what I consider to be trapping. Just my personal opinion. It's all good! :)

Catch up Doc, -oldman- things have moved on since your day :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZVlwLluF4Y

Thanks for enlightening me, Graham, and bringing me up to speed on the latest advances in partner training. U da man! ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:45 pm

I am... wrote:Trapping is and has been present in fighting for as long as there have been people. Fighting has not changed, though what is popular has certainly shifted many, many times.

That's Qinna - often overlooked as well..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:As a schoolyard basic, you throw the jab he reaches to fan it and you grab the arm and punch him in the jaw, childhood bullshit, that later translated very well into Xing I.

Trapping can involve grabbing, but usually contact is very light. Grabbing limits your actions and can actually help the opponent predict or Ting[jin] your next move.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Trapping is also referred to as pinning. In mt/kickboxing pinning it is usually single dimensional - pin one hand strike with the other or pin and strike. In sticking arts the trapping also can take both limbs but also tries to control the other attacking points. So in trapping this way a pin can start at the wrist, then secondary hand can pin the other arm at the elbow and then cross them down.

The best part of good trapping is the short range power of targetted strikes at sensitive points while reinforcing the trap. This is not used in kickboxing as gloves require momentum to compress the padding. In mt it is done with the elbows but without a grip it is too slippery to land so is not usually practised. Also as there are no points in it then it's only used to shake out of infighting.

When a head butt, elbow, grip and shouldering are combined then trapping becomes an excellent linking moved to the next stage of striking, disabling (chinna) and throwing. The problem with many sticking arts is when they focus too much on the stick at the cost of striking, bridging, locking and throwing.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:14 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:
Wanderingdragon wrote:As a schoolyard basic, you throw the jab he reaches to fan it and you grab the arm and punch him in the jaw, childhood bullshit, that later translated very well into Xing I.

Trapping can involve grabbing, but usually contact is very light. Grabbing limits your actions and can actually help the opponent predict or Ting[jin] your next move.

You do see the qualification " schoolyard basic "? ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:53 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:Grabbing limits your actions and can actually help the opponent predict or Ting[jin] your next move.

Grabbing also limit your opponent's actions as well. It can also help you to predict or Ting your opponent's next move. The grabbing is a 2 ways street. The advantage that you have when you grab your opponent are, you can

- use it as "distraction/setup".
- decide when to release that grip.
- guide his arm away from your attacking path.
- guide his arm to jam his other arm.

If you can use your right hand to grab on your opponent's left wrist, when you release that grip, you will have chance to use your right arm to

- punch on his head,
- lock on his head,
- wrap around his waist,
- under hook his left shoulder,

IMO, grabbing is a "door opening" move. It can open your door and give you many different options.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:39 am

dspyrido wrote:Trapping is also referred to as pinning. In mt/kickboxing pinning it is usually single dimensional - pin one hand strike with the other or pin and strike. In sticking arts the trapping also can take both limbs but also tries to control the other attacking points. So in trapping this way a pin can start at the wrist, then secondary hand can pin the other arm at the elbow and then cross them down.

The best part of good trapping is the short range power of targetted strikes at sensitive points while reinforcing the trap. This is not used in kickboxing as gloves require momentum to compress the padding. In mt it is done with the elbows but without a grip it is too slippery to land so is not usually practised. Also as there are no points in it then it's only used to shake out of infighting.

When a head butt, elbow, grip and shouldering are combined then trapping becomes an excellent linking moved to the next stage of striking, disabling (chinna) and throwing. The problem with many sticking arts is when they focus too much on the stick at the cost of striking, bridging, locking and throwing.

Very good points, mate. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:39 am

johnwang wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:Grabbing limits your actions and can actually help the opponent predict or Ting[jin] your next move.

Grabbing also limit your opponent's actions as well. It can also help you to predict or Ting your opponent's next move. The grabbing is a 2 ways street. The advantage that you have when you grab your opponent are, you can

- use it as "distraction/setup".
- decide when to release that grip.
- guide his arm away from your attacking path.
- guide his arm to jam his other arm.

If you can use your right hand to grab on your opponent's left wrist, when you release that grip, you will have chance to use your right arm to

- punch on his head,
- lock on his head,
- wrap around his waist,
- under hook his left shoulder,

IMO, grabbing is a "door opening" move. It can open your door and give you many different options.

You are totally right. It can go both ways.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:10 am

Trapping.... is another extreme waste of time.... developing a skill that works 60% of the time in 1% or all encounters (Ummm... that's Ron Burgundy... i.e. Anchorman logic)

Not to bust anyone's trapping bubble.......
Only the most simplified traps work. And these traps don't need to be honed, polished or whatever....Why? because these simplified traps only will work in specific circumstances... done very easily... ala pushing someone arm out of the way etc, nothing special,...
I've stated here often... simple methods all revolving around standard boxing footwork and positioning negate 99% of this shit. If Bruce Lee would ever have actually fought in a real competitive venue, or the WC people exposing this garbage would do the same... then they would see what a waste of time developing this skill set is (or others like it ala... Tui shou etc...)

It's legal in boxing.... yet you don't see it. Why? (if you do.... only in a very extreme simplified version )
it's legal in MMA.... yet you don't see it. Why? (if you do.... only in a very extreme simplified version )

Don't believe me..? step into a ring.... see how much you use those trapping skills.... probably work about 60% of the time in about 1% of all your fights....
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:45 am

Oh, right, if it doesn't work in the ring, it's bullshit. Don't know how we all forgot that. Next time I get stopped by a mugger I'll advise him that he'd be better off leaving the knife at home and getting a nice pair of 14 oz boxing gloves.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:14 am

So are you saying if something doesnt work hands vs hands it will start working hands vs a knife?
bartekb
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan