Trapping

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Trapping

Postby johnwang on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:18 am

Ba-men wrote:I have never witnessed in person or viewed any film of WC or JKD trapping ever done in any serious competitive venue.

I had phone discussion with my SC senior brother David C. K. Lin the other day. He told me that if his opponent has left leg forward and he has left foot in front of his opponent's left foot, the moment that David's right hand touches on his opponent's left wrist (trapping), the moment that David's right arm can

- act like a snake,
- slide down along his opponent's left arm,
- wrapped around his opponent's waist,
- step in his right leg, and
- execute his "hip throw".

So proper "trapping" should combine with proper entering strategy and proper footwork.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:22 am

Yes! ;D

One day I'll have to have phone conversations like this with my master, after I leave China..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby bartekb on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:47 am

WC and trapping :
- infamous grandmasters fight

- and here you have 2 polish VT masters squaring off;

- boxing vs ving tsun
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:52 pm

Bout 1: obvious bad intentions.
Bout 2: no bad intentions.
Bout 3: fortunately, boxer had no bad intentions.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Bout 1 - not funny

Bout 2 - seriously hilarious!

Bout 3 - sad :(
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:00 pm

There are no videos of even decent Wing Chun being used in a fight that I am aware of... Which proves nothing.

Just out of curiosity, excluding JJ and MT, can anyone post a video that shows ANY TMA being used effectively in a fight?
Spncr
Huajing

Postby dspyrido on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Spncr wrote:There are no videos of even decent Wing Chun being used in a fight that I am aware of... Which proves nothing.

Just out of curiosity, excluding JJ and MT, can anyone post a video that shows ANY TMA being used effectively in a fight?

Machida, McGregor, Rutten, Nelson and many others have a tma background.

When they take a horse stance and do a side kick do we hear Joe rogan say thats a shaolin or twd move? He might as I wouldnt know because I prefer to watch mma without listening to the commentary. :P

Also there's plenty of examples of trapping in mma but some will say it looks like a clinch or pummel because that's what they have been conditioned to see. Or prehaps they are being sponsored to ignore tmas for some other agenda like promoting ufc schools. Idk.

Trapping is great to have as a bridging skill when used in conjunction with other moves like a take down or strike. Spending countless hours only trapping is myopic.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:32 pm

dspyrido wrote:
Spncr wrote:There are no videos of even decent Wing Chun being used in a fight that I am aware of... Which proves nothing.

Machida, McGregor, Rutten, Nelson and many others have a tma background.

When they take a horse stance and do a side kick do we hear Joe rogan say thats a shaolin or twd move? He might as I wouldnt know because I prefer to watch mma without listening to the commentary. :P

Also there's plenty of examples of trapping in mma but some will say it looks like a clinch or pummel because that's what they have been conditioned to see. Or prehaps they are being sponsored to ignore tmas for some other agenda like promoting ufc schools. Idk.

Trapping is great to have as a bridging skill when used in conjunction with other moves like a take down or strike. Spending countless hours only trapping is myopic.

I said fight, not sport. The 3 vids that got posted were challenge matches, which to my eye often end up being a blend of sport/fight. Challenge matches don't have rules per say (or at least not always), but they are NOT fights.

I agree with the names you listed as references for examples of TMA in sport, and I'd add Cung Lee off the top of my head and I'm sure there are plenty more examples. I don't watch MMA anymore aside from what gets posted here or the occasional fight my friends or father tell me to check out, but from what little I've seen in recent years, I also agree that there are plenty of trapping examples in MMA. Anderson Silva used to do it often, looks like McGregor and some of the other young bloods are doing it more too.

However, my question remains. Can anyone post a video that shows ANY TMA being used effectively in a fight?
I'd even settle for a decent display of skill of an MA in one of those challenge-match-style-face-offs. I haven't even seen one of those that is a distinct example of TMA skill.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Bhassler on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:50 pm

What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Spncr wrote:However, my question remains. Can anyone post a video that shows ANY TMA being used effectively in a fight?
I'd even settle for a decent display of skill of an MA in one of those challenge-match-style-face-offs. I haven't even seen one of those that is a distinct example of TMA skill.

There are a couple in here:

A couple more:

The end of this one:

If you train to fight, regardless of the art, you can probably fight. If you don't then who knows.
Last edited by I am... on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Bhassler wrote:Shouldn't of asked...

Haha, yah I guess not. That was kind of my point though. People on this forum often ask for video evidence, but to my eye, there isn't much (thanks for trying, Bhassler and I am). What does that prove? Nothing IMO.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby dspyrido on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Who likes to pi?

dspyrido
Wuji

Postby bartekb on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:56 am

T... Which proves nothing.

the good thing about sport fights is - opponents are usually very evenly matched
with the challenge fights - theres a bit of mismatch sometimes but again - its usually not collosal and at least both sides are prepared to confront
with so called strret fights and "real" encounters due to its nature - opponents are heavily mismatched and quite often one is beeing ambushed - the problem is - its extremally hard to draw any conclusion from this kind of fight at all, plus its very open to the interpretation on whats really happen.
as for TMA - wrestling is TMA - its 2000 years old:) boxing has been an olympic discipline since 600 BC:)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:37 pm

One nice thing about trapping is you don't need to punch on your opponent's face, break his nose, and be sued in the court.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:28 pm

dspyrido wrote:Who likes to pi?

Haha, forgot about that one. I think it may just fit the bill, the thing I was trying to point out though is that people often ask for video evidence here and elsewhere (which is fine, i'd like some too), but if these videos are the best even this forum can come up with for answering this...

... and this is the best response someone can come up with (so far)...

bartekb wrote:as for TMA - wrestling is TMA - its 2000 years old:) boxing has been an olympic discipline since 600 BC:)

... does that then prove that all IMA are useless in a real situations? IMO, no. I think that the amount of members present here also confirms that many other people agree with me.

Bartekb, the reason I only included JJ and MT is because I doubt many people here dispute the efficacy of these style and I don't doubt that theres plenty of video evidence available of their use in actual fights. I should have included Wrestling and Boxing too though but I figured I didn't have to because of their strong ties to sport and also because of the available video evidence of their use in fights.

I was trying to see if anyone had any examples of CMA, JMA etc (either IMA or not) being used effectively in a real situation, this is after all an IMA forum. I was replying to this:

Ba-men wrote:I have never witnessed in person or viewed any film of WC or JKD trapping ever done in any serious competitive venue. I've seen very simple unmodified trapping work but NO art could lay a claim to that and... as stated... what I've witnessed is few and far in-between. Nuff said! The proof is in any 5 min search on Youtube in the field of any competitive sport fighting venue (MMA Sanda, Sanshou, Muai Thai or Kick Boxing, Boxing...... or a trip to the local boxing gym. Once reality sets in... i.e. that it doesn't work against someone who has just a little experience in any competitive sport boxing (or kick boxing/muai thai) or against someone just a little adept at competitive grappling/wrestling ..... People then start grasping...... believing that somehow there is a secret formula for making this junk work. they convince themselves they just haven't found it yet. Or (thinking they are practical....) mind fuck themselves into believing they just haven't practiced it hard enough!

Ba-men, I first started training TMA when I was 4 and I left it 15 years later to train MMA because I thought it was more realistic, practical etc (basically I started thinking CMA was BS.) After a few years had gone by my cousin asked me to accompany him to a WC class so that I could help him verify if a Sifu nearby him was worth training with. At the time I was train MMA 3-5 hours a day 7 days a week and bouncing 3 days a week (lots of fights) in addition to working out 5 days a week (which I had been doing for the previous 3ish years), after that first WC class I stopped training MMA immediately and started train WC 7 days a week. My Sifu handled me without breaking a sweat, he opened my eyes to different ways of generating power, being stable, preventing and healing injuries, + other awesome benefits (including vastly improved fighting skill). What I'm saying is that what you said, applys to not only WC, but basically every TMA/IMA... but this proves nothing... to me anyways.
Spncr
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan