Trapping

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Trapping

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:57 am

There is no "plan" for trapping. It is done by feeling (Tingjin). Your understanding of trapping is laughable. Going to a shitty WC school once and leaving disappointed means that you now discredit ALL CMA??? WTF...
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:30 am

I have used trapping in sparring plenty of times. The most recent was about 2 months ago when I was sparring a friend who trains Chen TJQ and used to train under Paul Vunak back in the 90s. It was completely incidental and came when were boxing with 16oz gloves, I hit him 2-3x without even thinking about it by trapping one of his arms while doing it. Most of the time (99%) it happens when entering clinching range, the other 1% of the time I can get the trap because they keep dropping their hands before punching or while extending a limb just as they move forward.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby I am... on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 am

Trapping works just fine as a tool in the toolbox (when trained properly). Just like every other tool, there is a time and place for it, and if you try to make it fit everywhere you are going to have minimal success with it.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Well said
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:04 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:There is no "plan" for trapping.

IMO, you need plan for trapping. For example, if you use your left arm to do a downward parry on your opponent's right arm, your opponent will borrow your force, spin his arm, and throw a haymaker at the left side of your head. After your left arm downward parry, if you move into upward wrapping, your left upward wrapping arm will meet with your opponent's haymaker arm half way. If you can predict your opponent's possible arm moving path, you will have better chance to obtain the "trap" that you are looking for.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:36 am

johnwang wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:There is no "plan" for trapping.

IMO, you need plan for trapping. For example, if you use your left arm to do a downward parry on your opponent's right arm, your opponent will borrow your force, spin his arm, and throw a haymaker at the left side of your head. After your left arm downward parry, if you move into upward wrapping, your left upward wrapping arm will meet your opponent's haymaker arm half. If you can predict your opponent's possible arm moving path, you will have better chance to obtain the "trap" that you are looking for.

You can certainly create movement/reaction that you can then use against the opponent to your advantage. I would say this is not trapping itself, but an advanced element of it for those that work it a lot.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:56 pm

I agree with what you are saying, but I think that if there is a plan it should be subconscious. Otherwise one limits the possible outcomes. Tingjin.. 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan