Do It Like They Do On the Discovery Channel! - Now w/ video!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Do It Like They Do On the Discovery Channel! - Now w/ video!

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:03 am

So... this week Zhang Binghai, a Xinyiliuhequan master from Henan province is visiting and he had some wisdom to impart on me. Some of you may recall that I met him about a year and a half ago on a similar visit to Guilin, at the request of my Shifu. This man has some incredibly scary skill. Here are some of the main points that I've learned over the past several days:

1) His power generation comes almost exclusively from Caijibu. It is circular in nature and the stepping is like pedaling a bicycle. The strike is done on the step and the whole body is like a spinning wheel. He can literally send any of us, even Shifu, flying back MANY metres and with both feet clear off the ground with no effort at all.

2) "If animals don't do it, don't train it." When he moves, he is lithe, like a tiger or leopard. His Shenfa is crazy. So relaxed, but powerful. I'm not at liberty to say too much, but my takeaway is that we should strive to generate power like a pouncing tiger or a striking mantis. At ease, supple, rapid, no hesitation, precise.. "Do tigers hit pads?" "Do they practise with weights? Why is a dog more powerful than a man?" These are just some of the questions he asked me. We should train our arms to be as strong as our legs.

3) Less is more. By using the principle from (2) we are trimming down my current regiment and replacing a lot of things with simple Gongli exercises. "The biggest scam in martial arts is that it's usually only the first several things that a teacher teaches you that actually produce Gongfu." He has taught me some Gongli exercises to generate different types of power and advocates that I be mostly formless and just train a handful of actual techniques. "In the end it is really your body doing the striking. Your limbs just facilitate it."

4) Good footwork adds crazy power to your strikes. Me: "But you didn't step that time." Zhang Shifu: "It was internal." Me: *MIND BLOWN*

For various reasons I decided not to study the entire system, but what he has taught me so far is pure gold and can be applied to any art. More importantly, the two masters are learning from each other and I have the chance to learn from both (and others). When Zhang Shifu leaves we will discuss what happened and how to apply what we learned.

Here is a video, but it doesn't do him justice: http://www.56.com/u75/v_Nzc2ODQ1Mjg.html
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Do It Like They Do On the Discovery Channel!

Postby TaiChiTJ on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:18 am

Awesome post. You are obviously having a great learning experience. Thanks for communicating.
TaiChiTJ
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:40 am

Sounds very much like master QIan Zhaohong's approach. If I were in your shoes (or sneakers) I would spend as much time as possible learning from this man.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:07 pm

I liked the post. Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

kenneth fish wrote:Sounds very much like master QIan Zhaohong's approach.

From what I've understood Qian's XYLH is not the "purest" one... :P

]If I were in your shoes (or sneakers) I would spend as much time as possible learning from this man.

+1
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Nice!
somatai

Postby wiesiek on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:25 pm

I`m singed on M fans page too :) -thx-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:35 am

Thanks for sharing, great stuff
Point No. 2's Fortune-Cookie-O-Meter is so much off the scale,
you need a Fortune Cookie Grand Master to read it.
Just in case, anyone is curious/interested.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:13 am

Good post and the point about moving like an animal is one that is well taken. I would add that this is one of the things that separates good CMA from Japanese and Korean empty hand MA: They tend to be much more machine-like.

Over the last few years reading RSF, have become increasingly interested in Xinyi - particularly after Derek took it up and has been singing its praises ever since. Is this really the "holy grail" of internal power generation?

BTW Martin, see if you can capture this chap no cam next time he pops by to visit. Is he the guy who is a bodyguard in Macau?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:53 am

Andy_S wrote:Over the last few years reading RSF, have become increasingly interested in Xinyi - particularly after Derek took it up and has been singing its praises ever since.

Can't blame you. I have a friend who studied for Qian Xiaohong. Seems to be incredibly fun practice. 8-)

Is this really the "holy grail" of internal power generation?

Well... Don't know about that. But from my extremely limited experience, it seems to lack the thinking of substance and keeping structure, all those things that people focus on instead of relaxing. ;)
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Do It Like They Do On the Discovery Channel! - Now w/ video!

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:06 am

I have added a video to the OP. That's all that I can get for now. We have videos on my master's QQ page, but they are password protected and only disciples can get in. Sorry..

Zhang Shifu's power has to be felt. It's all Anjin. In the video, the part where he steps and strikes with his palms, like a push.. That's what he uses to send us flying. Thank God he never used his full power...

From my experience, Bao, XYLHQ is more about keeping structure than any other art I've seen. It's one of the reasons that my personality doesn't fit with it. Requires too much patience.. Then again, so do Bagua and Taiji.. I have learned some, but I don't think I'll ever learn the whole system. That Caijbu is so damned hard to get right!
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:59 am

MaartenSFS wrote:From my experience, Bao, XYLHQ is more about keeping structure than any other art I've seen. It's one of the reasons that my personality doesn't fit with it. Requires too much patience.. Then again, so do Bagua and Taiji.. I have learned some, but I don't think I'll ever learn the whole system. That Caijbu is so damned hard to get right!

Interesting POV. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 am

Great stuff! Train hard!
somatai

Postby dspyrido on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:31 pm

The magic of xylh it is that is a no bullshit approach to training that simply focuses in on enabling power through the coordinations (lower, longer, faster, correctness, twisting etc.). It is not a style in the traditional sense but a collection of gruelling bodyweight exercises that make the body supple, strong and sunk. There are some videos on youtube but fundamentally what is shown is not really xylh but are demonstration pieces like linking form. For the real essence of the art you have got to look for the really mundane repetitive bodyweight exercises. As many of the guys who do the style will say .... it is not beautiful.

The issue with this is that it's not for the beginner out to some self defense and it is not something that is learnt overnight. As my old sifu used to say - get a black belt somewhere else and then learn xylh.

Xylh does not force any stylistics views on fighting. With the exercises the body would change and the way you move is just fused in with whatever moves you choose to apply. Power is power and all the xylh people I know have all trained in other art forms. After an extended time with xylh the art just becomes your own.

As a final thought - xylh is really just drilling good principles found hidden in ima. If anyone where to do the same correct thing over and over with the same focus then they will naturally build up the same capability no matter what style.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 pm

DSpyrido, cheers. Have started another thread to discuss - Xinyi to Xingi. Feel free to chime in.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:08 pm

I concur and have experienced much the same. XYLHQ gets a big thumbs up from me. As my Shifu says, "Xinyi is the engine which you can then put into the other arts you have learned or will learn."
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan