Small Thought: Embellished Movements

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Small Thought: Embellished Movements

Postby Martin2 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:31 am

Just a small thought, but I think you will like it:

http://taichi-philosophy.blogspot.de/20 ... ments.html

Martin
Martin2
Huajing

Re: Small Thought: Embellished Movements

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:54 am

Generally speaking, embellished flowery movement is intended to enhance visual impact for performance beauty, either in form competition or for public demonstration. It most often adds little or nothing to the potential fighting applications efficiency, and in most cases probably diminishes same as the additional, superfluous movement requires extra time and effort to perform. Just saying! :/
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Martin2 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 am

Hey Doc,

thx. Very nice "generally" spoken.

Should be written somewhere as a guideline of "how to train martial arts".

Greetings

Martin
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:53 am

Doc Stier wrote:Generally speaking, embellished flowery movement is intended to enhance visual impact for performance beauty, either in form competition or for public demonstration. It most often adds little or nothing to the potential fighting applications efficiency,

If the flowery stuff meets the standard of the body methods of the art, frankly, I couldn't care less and I would have nothing against it.

Simplicity is great. But an amount of artistic capacity and creativity is IMHO also a great thing and often necessary to personalize and individualize the art, i.e. making the art your own personal property.

Martin2 wrote:a guideline of "how to train martial arts".

Wow, can't hardly Imagine how many discussions on different forums such a guide would make.
... A general guideline... regardless style... regardless tradition, culture and regardless if you study for self-defence, sport, as gymnastics or health practice.... One Ultimate guide, preferably written by some random guy who only practiced a couple of mainstream arts as Judo and Taekwondo... The ulimate MA trolling. Can't wait for it. Sincerely.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Martin2 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

Hey Bao,

how right you are - better no guideline.

All the best

Martin
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 am

Knowing what is flourish and what is function.y
An art can be diluted or raped in either case it will lose efficacy by the change.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby warriorprincess on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi Dragon,
Could you not have made your point without misusing the word rape. That's not what happens to an art; it what happens to people.

Stella
warriorprincess
Anjing

Postby willie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:11 pm

The flowery motion does have fighting value and application's, It's just that most people don't know that material.
As I had said, there is a lot of information that is not in the main stream.
I have some of the app's and they cost me a lot.
I will say this. If your doing your forms without direct intent and have not installed the proper
mechanics then the whole art is worthless martially. Even 40 years wont help out much. Good for health and or spiritual work only.
Last edited by willie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby johnwang on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Yesterday when my wife was driving, My hands did arm drag, single leg, neck wiping kick combo. It was 6 circular moves 3 for the right hand and 3 for the left hand. If anyone every adds that into the form, it can be really "flowery".

IMO, the "flowery" move is against the principle of "1 is better than 1,2 and 1,2 is better than 1,2,3". Can you apply arm drag by just 1 move without going through 2 moves? Unless you are much better than your opponent so you can jump into the elbow gate by passing the wrist gate.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Sorry Warriorprincess, rape is a heinous crime, please forgive my callous misuse of the word to make such a mundane point.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:01 pm

johnwang wrote:Yesterday when my wife was driving, My hands did arm drag, single leg, neck wiping kick combo. It was 6 circular moves 3 for the right hand and 3 for the left hand. If anyone every adds that into the form, it can be really "flowery".

IMO, the "flowery" move is against the principle of "1 is better than 1,2 and 1,2 is better than 1,2,3". Can you apply arm drag by just 1 move without going through 2 moves? Unless you are much better than your opponent so you can jump into the elbow gate by passing the wrist gate.

Arm drag short power to shock and destroy, then cut, shear, drill or break. personally I like short power break but sometimes
a whirlpool throws cups of water.
Last edited by willie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan