A (Hopefully) Instant Remedy For Any More 'Knife Defence' BS

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: A (Hopefully) Instant Remedy For Any More 'Knife Defence' BS

Postby lazyboxer on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Bhassler wrote:Rory Miller puts it pretty succinctly when he says that many martial artists spend decades finding solutions but never stop to really look at what the question is-- i.e. how do attacks happen in the real world? I think that's the big takeaway from the article, not that a knife attack is a hopeless situation...

As Rob said, a lot of this becomes pretty apparent to folks with experience, but the elephant in the room is that most people who train in MA don't have that kind of experience, and they want to get applicable skills that will help them survive the sort of event that makes a person "experienced." Some of those not-experienced people may have spent years or decades in their art and need a reality check, and there are also many people who are looking for valid instruction but don't know what to look for. Every other McDojo in the world is run by a guy with made up credentials and a bunch of stories about life on da streetz, so it might be useful to have some corroborating info. It's also worth noting that what many people consider to be real experience is just a background in Monkey Dancing, which is a whole other discussion and not the same as self defense.

Thanks for your thoughtful and objective response.

By way of qualification, in case anyone is still reading this thread, I should make it clear that I hadn't meant it to be a direct criticism of the earlier post by Strange, though I can see how someone might have jumped to that conclusion. The BS to which I was referring was the unrealistic guff I sometimes get from inexperienced and over-optimistic MA-ists about knife defence. I have nothing but respect for Ryabko.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:50 pm

The main reason it is a lie is that you cannot "fight" an armed opponent.

Why don't you arm yourself with a "bigger" knife? I used to have a knife that when I hold it in reverse position, the tip of the knife can reach to my elbow joint. It can be hidden behind my forearm nicely.

My knife was just like his. I paid $24 in NYC back in 1973.

Last edited by johnwang on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Nice article. If nothing else, I recommend people read "Lie #19: You can use a knife on another human being without legal repercussions."

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan