training focus question

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

training focus question

Postby chenyaolong on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:36 pm

So recently I'm having less and less time to train... life has a habit of getting in the way :P .... so my question is if you guys have only half an hour to an hour a day to train, and no regular training partner.... what would you focus on... is form/technique more important, or keeping yourself strong and fit more important IYO?

I've noticed my overall physical condition has dropped since my training has dropped... I feel less rooted, less powerful and less fit... and it's amazing that this has all dropped in just less than a year.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: training focus question

Postby willie on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi, You know I just got back from training one on one with my master. I feel great man.
Tonight I think was just so important. Foundation work man, torqueing up the bow.
keep those hip's back and torque. get out the slack. great time tonight. happy...
take care
willie

Postby klonk on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:53 pm

Why not mix it up from day to day? A day where your time is spent on ZZ, then a day when you do bag work, and then a day spent on general fitness like running or something.

I think good health and body awareness and balance are more important than lovely technique.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:38 pm

When life gets in the way, form work is especially important, it helps maintain structural integrity, without which you have no power no matter how strong you are physically. It also gives you a better mental understanding for when you do have time to train more completely. Of course it only works if you truly understand your form.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 am

On days where I don't have time to really train I drill individual techniques slowly (to perfect them but also so as not to sweat too much in my street clothes.), over and over again. I have modified all of my forms so that I can train them in a small room or hallway. Zhanzhuang is another good idea, if that is your thing.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:05 am

chenyaolong wrote:have only half an hour to an hour a day to train,

1. Facing east, drill "hook punch, back fist, upper cut".
2. Facing south, drill "front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick".
3. Facing west, drill "shoulder lock, elbow lock".
4. Facing north, drill "arm drag, single leg, inner hook".

Repeat 1, 2, 3, 4 for 1/2 hour to an hour. After 1 week, drill 4 different combos. After 1 year, you will drill 52 x 4 = 208 combos.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:14 pm

johnwang wrote:
chenyaolong wrote:have only half an hour to an hour a day to train,

1. Facing east, drill "hook punch, back fist, upper cut".
2. Facing south, drill "front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick".
3. Facing west, drill "shoulder lock, elbow lock".
4. Facing north, drill "arm drag, single leg, inner hook".

Repeat 1, 2, 3, 4 for 1/2 hour to an hour. After 1 week, drill 4 different combos. After 1 year, you will drill 52 x 4 = 208 combos.

I'm with jw. If I've only got limited time it needs to be energetic. The slow/standing stuff is good before sleep but if I had a choice I would never let it replace something that increases oxygen intake, blood circulation, builds muscles, tendons and bones.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 pm

chenyaolong wrote:I've noticed my overall physical condition has dropped since my training has dropped... I feel less rooted, less powerful and less fit... and it's amazing that this has all dropped in just less than a year.

Getting older? ;) Have had a similar experience of getting less time. The last five years have been all about business. When I get too little time for practicing, I focus mainly on jibengong, core and leg work. Santi, stance training, drills. If I practice form, I usually move with very low stances. If you keep your leg strength and focus on the center, you can keep up the rest. Hitting the bag is good as well. And most of all, I strongly believe in body awareness practice, keeping away tensions and stiffness, and listening to the body, how the body wants to move, sit and walk. If you think about it, whatever you do in daily life can be part of the practice. Or the practice can become a natural part of your every day life.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:10 pm

be free...
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ozguorui on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Hey Mate - get out the 双手到. 15 mins basics, 15 mins form. During the rest of the day, get as much incidental exercise in as possible - 10 pushups, 10 bodyweight squats, go up and down stairs... easy enough to fit in between classes/meetings/lessons....
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:52 am

Ozguorui wrote:Hey Mate - get out the 双手到. 15 mins basics, 15 mins form.

IME, you need at least 20 minutes form practice just to get the motor running good. If you want full benefit from form practice, you should practice at least 40-60 minutes for one single session.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:18 am

Great suggestions guys thanks. Just trying to get some ideas for something fresh as motivation is dropping.

What I have been doing is this: I have a short combo I like, I do 10-20 reps a day for 5 days, then move onto another one the next 5 days. This is after deep stretching and loosening up with arm circles, waist circles etc. Stances (in taiji mantis we hold gongbu with the arms pulling a bow to the rear, mabu and xubu).

I was doing more form, but I've dropped that now in favour of more body weight excercises to get my figure back and back in shape.

Greg... I gave me sword to my kung fu brother when I left Yantai..... I really should get a new one but Im not prioritizing training it right now tbh
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:20 am

Ian recommended a good BJJ gym to me, and I recently met a world champion boxer who opened a gym here... so when I can make time I am planning on joining one or the other.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Ozguorui on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:41 pm

No worries, only a new comer to the Miao Dao myself, but it seems like if you have a heavy one, it is a good workout.....like a kettlebell
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby Ozguorui on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Here is a perspective on the "feeling stale" - http://www.taichiaustralia.com/When%20Y ... e%20Up.htm

Worth a read I think. Yes, Erle was a nut, don't take the whole thing literally, but it always made some kind of sense to me!
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan