training focus question

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: training focus question

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:05 am

Ozguorui wrote:Here is a perspective on the "feeling stale" - http://www.taichiaustralia.com/When%20Y ... e%20Up.htm

Worth a read I think. Yes, Erle was a nut, don't take the whole thing literally, but it always made some kind of sense to me!

Feeling stale is probably a better excuse for me than being too busy.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:07 am

chenyaolong wrote:Ian recommended a good BJJ gym to me, and I recently met a world champion boxer who opened a gym here... so when I can make time I am planning on joining one or the other.

seems confused. You dont have enough time to practice what you know,
but want to try something else when you can "make time"?

The boxer and the people in BJJ are good because they spent time perfecting
their arts......over a long or short period of time depending on life style and need.

I would say first understand what you feel your missing.
the things you listed seem very outer ,,, seems like there are some
inner things you could address first.

There are many things that you could do in 30 min with in the arts
you have practiced,,,,I would find a way to make whatever I did fit into my present life
situation, rather then make my life fit into it chasing something that only exist
in your mind. In the end it should help to make your life more enjoyable and happy.

Happy is something you can share with others around you,

best of luck ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Windy this is the most sence you have made to date
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:46 pm

windwalker wrote:
chenyaolong wrote:Ian recommended a good BJJ gym to me, and I recently met a world champion boxer who opened a gym here... so when I can make time I am planning on joining one or the other.

seems confused. You dont have enough time to practice what you know,
but want to try something else when you can "make time"?

The boxer and the people in BJJ are good because they spent time perfecting
their arts......over a long or short period of time depending on life style and need.

I would say first understand what you feel your missing.
the things you listed seem very outer ,,, seems like there are some
inner things you could address first.

There are many things that you could do in 30 min with in the arts
you have practiced,,,,I would find a way to make whatever I did fit into my present life
situation, rather then make my life fit into it chasing something that only exist
in your mind. In the end it should help to make your life more enjoyable and happy.

Happy is something you can share with others around you,

best of luck ;)

Like I added... feeling stale is probably a better excuse than lack of time. I feel like if I had some more motivation I would feel more motivated to push myself to train more. Joining a club or group where I can often spar with others will give me the motivation to push myself to improve. It's not necessarily about learning something new, but having an environment where I can grow. Training alone in the park or my room isn't really growing, it's just maintaining.

I'm certainly not confused nor chasing something that only exists in my mind... I'm just reaching out to ask fellow MAists about the most efficient ways to train with limited time, while mentioning at the same time I have this opportunity to train with some top BJJ and boxing coaches here. Sorry if you misunderstood
Last edited by chenyaolong on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:00 pm

It's not necessarily about learning something new, but having an environment where I can grow. Training alone in the park or my room isn't really growing, it's just maintaining.

What kind of inner things are you suggesting I look at first? And what are you suggesting only exists in my mind?

The idea that you need others to grow.
Set your own goals and expectations based on your self for your
self.

Others are only needed to test or confirm what you know or do not.

I feel like if I had some more motivation I would feel more motivated to push myself to train more. Joining a club or group where I can often spar with others will give me the motivation to push myself to improve.

If it does not come from within why look for it without?
This to me seems to be the main question.
This is what I would work on finding out if I was you...

In my own practice with or with out my students or other people I practice
it comes from within,, its what I do.....
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Sorry, I edited those questions to this:

I'm certainly not confused nor chasing something that only exists in my mind... I'm just reaching out to ask fellow MAists about the most efficient ways to train with limited time, while mentioning at the same time I have this opportunity to train with some top BJJ and boxing coaches here. Sorry if you misunderstood
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Perhaps you are looking too deeply into this. People on this forum who know me personally can vouch that I am a very goal oriented person who pushes myself and jumps at opportunities. It' easy to misconstrue peoples intentions when behind a keyboard.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:14 pm

chenyaolong wrote:Sorry, I edited those questions to this:

its okay

my suggestions are among many...if they help cool if not also cool

If you feel that the other training would help your CMA practices go for it....
seems like you would be still starting at a point where you dont have enough time to
learn something new or practice it.... sounds like you like competing and just miss this aspect.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Why not go and do trial lessons and seek out anyone within 5-50km (you choose the distance) radius until you find what you are looking for? Go to every school that sounds like it might be a fit. Ask everyone you know what they recommend and try it out. And just rinse and repeat until you get the glow again. You never know - you might just come to the same conclusion that there is no place like home and you were happy in a park by yourself but now you know why.

As for time being too short - HIIT with kettlebells produces great results. Personally though I prefer to make time for training. I also like to watch a good movie fully and not skip ahead to find out what happens.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 am

You've gotten some good feedback already. If you truly only have 30 minutes a day to train, I second what Ozguorui said about increasing incidental exercise as much as possible (this makes good sense overall from a lifestyle perspective anyway).

For the 30 minutes training time, I would cycle high intensity work with low intensity work six days a week. The seventh day can be used as a rest day or perhaps a class or partner training day. If you can get a full workout in (either with a class, or with a training partner) once a week that may have a ripple effect on your overall energy and motivation as well.

Here is an example of what I mean:

M: 30 minutes heavy bag work (5 5-min rounds, one minute rest between rounds)
T: 10 minutes jump rope/ 20 minutes form or technical work
W: 30 minute bodyweight workout (I recommend this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKd-jtObfUM . Each round is 8 minutes. Do three, then stretch).
Th: 30 minutes technical work
Fri: 30 minutes kettlebell (500 swings following this protocol: https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000 ... ll-workout )
Sat: 30 minutes technical work
Sat: Sun: rest

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Best,
Greg
Last edited by Greg J on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg J
Huajing

Postby chenyaolong on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:36 am

Thanks guys. I'll mix it up with everyones suggestions and keep you posted.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Ozguorui on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:50 am

Just breathing is sometimes a challenge in Shanghai.
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby wiesiek on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:03 am

Ozgouri never been in the Krakow during winter time,:)
I`m sure
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan