Enter Strategy/Strategies -> Finish Strategies/Strategy

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Enter Strategy/Strategies -> Finish Strategies/Strategy

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:02 pm

By using "引(Yin) - arm guiding",

assuming you are facing north, depending on your opponent's respond, you can finish with:

- 踢(Ti) - foot sweep (west direction force),
- 撮(Cuo) - scooping kick (east direction force),
- 切(Qie) - front cut (north direction force),
- 抹(Mo) - neck wiping (south direction force),

It's a good example that you use one "entering strategy" and end up with different "finish strategies".

If we look at this from the opposite direction, in order to obtain "single leg", you can set it up with:

- arm drag,
- circle running,
- knee striking,
- shoulder striking,
- leg hooking,

So

- 1 entering strategy can map into many finish strategies.
- Many entering strategies can map into 1 finish strategy.

I find this is the best way to train TCMA. It's like the artificial intelligence, you have

- forward search,
- backward search, and
- bi-directional search.

In the past many years, this is where I have spent all my training time. Will this approach work on all TCMA styles? What's your opinion on this?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Enter Strategy/Strategies -> Finish Strategies/Strategy

Postby dspyrido on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:37 pm

I agree!

A teaching method I liked and adopted is telling a story relating to the ranges. For example the following is taught and practiced as a single continuous method:

- long range: kick & bridge, cover head (shell) move in to...
- medium range: crash, pin arms, head butt, knee, slip to...
- short range: hip/head throw and then
- ground: knee drop, knee ride, strike ribs, finish with a knee bar

All taught as a sequence. The sequences can be varied in exactly the way you described and mix and matched in the same way. For example in medium range there might be a reversal - what happens if the arm pin fails & the defender applies a counter to it and then the sequence changes for the person who was being attacked turning into the attacker.

I think it helps with context vs. for example just doing the hip throw and not knowing how to set it up or counter.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:27 pm

dspyrido wrote:just doing the hip throw and not knowing how to set it up or counter.

Anybody can pick up a book or video to learn how to execute a hip throw. The interested thing is if you have to spin your body to set up your hip throw, your opponent can spin with you and drag you down. How can you move in with a hip throw without having to spin your body? You just won't find such information in most of the books and videos.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:12 am

johnwang wrote:By using "引(Yin) - arm guiding",

assuming you are facing north, depending on your opponent's respond, you can finish with:

- 踢(Ti) - foot sweep (west direction force),
- 撮(Cuo) - scooping kick (east direction force),
- 切(Qie) - front cut (north direction force),
- 抹(Mo) - neck wiping (south direction force),

It's a good example that you use one "entering strategy" and end up with different "finish strategies".

If we look at this from the opposite direction, in order to obtain "single leg", you can set it up with:

- arm drag,
- circle running,
- knee striking,
- shoulder striking,
- leg hooking,

So

- 1 entering strategy can map into many finish strategies.
- Many entering strategies can map into 1 finish strategy.

I find this is the best way to train TCMA. It's like the artificial intelligence, you have

- forward search,
- backward search, and
- bi-directional search.

In the past many years, this is where I have spent all my training time. Will this approach work on all TCMA styles? What's your opinion on this?

I agree John, this is how the martial arts I practice are trained. Enter, spring the trap, and finish.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 am

johnwang wrote:It's a good example that you use one "entering strategy" and end up with different "finish strategies".

I agree. The finishing move should be based on your opponent’s position. It’s safer to have your first move be a low risk attack to create an opening for a more fully committed attack. When you are square to an opponent and throw a fully committed attack, a balanced opponent can counter you. Your first entry move (e.g., feint, jab, footwork, minor attack, etc.) can get a superior angle or off balance your opponent. Then, your fully committed finishing move can come, after gaining a safe, superior position.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFUjRoW_Qo8

Starting at 2:25 “Well the lead right hand, I try to catch a guy off balance.”
Starting at 3:03 “I lead the right hand when I catch you off balance. I don’t throw it, if I don’t think I can catch a guy not ready. I try to throw my shots when I know a guy is not ready. That’s what I think about. Most guys I beat, I don’t beat them with speed and power. I beat them with smarts.”
Starting at 3:23 “I be like 10 steps ahead of a guy.”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOJp9Wmayo#t=2m25s

johnwang wrote:How can you move in with a hip throw without having to spin your body?

Maybe this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7BJ3NhOj9E
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:12 am

marvin8 wrote:
johnwang wrote:How can you move in with a hip throw without having to spin your body?

Maybe this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7BJ3NhOj9E

You are right! When you and your opponent are in "mirror stance - different foot forward", you can move in without body spin. In other words, if you and your opponent are in "uniform stance - same foot forward", you should enter with different moves. You should not try to use "hip throw". This way, you have at least 2 set of enter strategies, one for the "mirror stance" and one for the "uniform stance".
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan