Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan = the gold book

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan = the gold book

Postby wuwei sifu on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi folks,
has anyone read the Gold Book from the Wu style Family of wu chien chuan .
i know their is a chinese version, and an english version that is called the gold book because of the color of the cover. i don't care about the color obviously :)

has any of the wu style players here actually seen/studied this book enough to do a review on the contents.

i have stephen hwa's classical tai chi dvd series http://www.classicaltaichi.com/about-ta ... sters.html

I have the following books on Wu style
1. gm. wang peisheng's & zeng weiqi's : wu style taijiquan (northern wu style)
2. wu style taichichuan -forms concepts, and applications of the original style :
by gm's. wu ying-hua & ma yueh liang &
3. body and mind in harmony ... : by sophia delza original hard copy 1961 edition orig. price $3.95

Any help with this ongoing endless research is greatly appreciated. xie xie & namaste
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Re: Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan = the gold book

Postby richardman on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 pm

I no longer do Wu style, but the translation is decent, fairly good match to the original Gold Book. The bonus is that he also translates the original Banhou handwritten manual, although the quality is dependent on the translator's understanding.

Note that there are 4 main branches of Wu style: 1) Northern Wu (Wang Peisheng), 2) Shanghai Wu (Ma Yueliang an Wu Yinhua), 3) Hong Kong Wu (Wu Kungyi and Eddie Wu), and 4) HK Wu via Cheng TinHung)

Wu Kungcho, the writer of the Gold book, was a son of Wu Jianquan. The book is fine, but per usual, don't expect to learn Tai Chi from books/videos etc.
richardman
Mingjing

Postby Bugang on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:19 am

The gold book has the complete Text of Yang Banhous 40 Chapters that otherwise only appears in Wiles Lost Tai chi Classics, which is really worth a read!
*Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other Plans*
Bugang
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Iirc, the original "Gold" book had a reddish color that could best be described as "orange."
I echo Richard Man's post that there are four important branches of Wu (or "Ng" as they might say in HK). But, ime, they could be divided as the "family" Wu styles (and the argument would be between Ma's version and Eddie Wu's (who is considered the "gatekeeper" of that family style.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Martin2 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 am

The complete Text of Yang Banhous 40 Chapters can be also found here:

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... i-fa-shuo/

And there is a version of the golden book, which looks really metallic golden - picture is not that great, but I have a copy - it is metallic golden:

http://www.wustyle.com/site/index.php/s ... ion-detail

Greetings
Last edited by Martin2 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Martin2
Huajing

Postby richardg6 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:10 am

Martin;

I have the Brennan translation of Yang Banhous 40 Chapters but cannot find a digital copy of Wu Kung Cho's additional chapters. Any help you could provide would bve appreciated.
richardg6
Santi

Postby Martin2 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Never saw this digital - may be you are interested in this - some translations - I like them:

Tai Chi Secrets of the Wu Style: Chinese Classics, Translations, Commentary

https://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Secrets- ... 886969175/

all the best

Martin
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Yuen-Ming on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Steve James wrote:Iirc, the original "Gold" book had a reddish color that could best be described as "orange."

The Gold Book is gold, metallic gold

The Red Book is a different book

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

I bought a copy when it first was released. The content has appeared in other Chinese language books, but I thought the format and reproductions of old photos made it worth having.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan