move AROUND your center

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

move AROUND your center

Postby rojcewiczj on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:54 am

What is my intent in solo practice? To move with full range without leaning. What is the practice with a partner? Offense is trying to apply force against the defenders center, spine, torso, face, trying to apply force anywhere. The defender meets the offensive and leads the attacker around the point they are trying to apply force. One directional force can be turned away from the center, from whatever point which the force is directed towards and into empty space: led into emptiness. What is required? Total focus on neutralizing the attack without seeking victory over, or destruction of your attacker. When the whole intent is on neutralizing, remaining in balance, miracles happen. My center is neutral, my touch is neutral, where is the attacker? In space, where am I? In space. What is there to fight about? If one needs to lean on another, while the other needs only the earth, then the victor is already determined. The tree that stands is standing, the tree that falls is falling. The one who seeks resistance is falling and needs support, the one who stands balanced can guide the other.

I feel the separation between attacker and defender is required for this skill to manifest, why? Because one can not seek support from the wall while they are held balanced by the ground.
one cannot seek resistance without denying tranquility.

We will never see high level martial arts skill expressed outside of this separation between attacker and defender, the offender and the neutralizer, and I think we all better decide
which one we want to be. The neutralizer wants to keep things neutral, if the attacker does not attack then there is no defender.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan