What's 'Natural' In The Martial Arts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

What's 'Natural' In The Martial Arts

Postby Steve Rowe on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:25 am

From my blog today -

I remember saying to Toru Takamizawa my Karate Sensei that martial arts were ‘natural movement’ and he answered “no they’re not, they’re trained, skilful movements done naturally.” A big difference!

We have to really understand this. Right from the start we have to learn how to stand, walk and run, how to breathe and train our emotions, this requires a constant mindful state.

We have to learn the right ‘martial’ exercises to free the body and enable the strength, flexibility and mobility required. These have to be trained daily.

We have to learn the ethos behind our art and the principles behind the strategies and movement and all of these have to be put into the techniques of the system and trained unerringly until the skills become ‘natural’ to us.

If we don’t get this and don’t train in this way we cannot ever get to be a martial artist. It is a lifelong pursuit of mindfulness and skill training.

I meet many 30 year + martial artists that have only repeated the first 3 years 10 times and have failed miserably. They learned enough to teach the basics to others but are not mindful and are still sadly lacking in any consumate skill. Time served and lineage mean nothing without mindfulness, resolve, determination, the courage to improve and the intelligence to find and utilise the right resources.

Each part of a system is like a piece of the jigsaw, just a shape and a small part of the picture, it’s only when it’s put together in an intelligent way until it ‘fits’ that we can see the entire picture. I can’t count how many people have a jumble of pieces with many still missing!

Many systems have been put together from the bottom up, with the instructor deciding what do for white belt, then yellow, then orange and so on and the problem is that there is no synergy to an end result and that cannot possibly work. The only one possible is invariably a jumble!

When devising a system an Instructor should determine what he wants from his dan grades first and then map it backwards to beginner, that way everything points to the destination and has synergy. I often ask Instructors what the end result of their training system is and their answer is a predictable jumble.

I wanted good health, emotional intelligence and the ability to validate the learning in all areas including self defence. That was my starting point and I worked backwards from there, nothing in my syllabus is vague in any sense and every skill can be followed through from white belt to the highest black belt grades.

If you are going to train in any art or skill to become ‘natural’ to you, make sure it’s worthy of the effort and will enhance your life!

http://steve-rowe.com/2016/01/26/what-i ... tial-arts/
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Re: What's 'Natural' In The Martial Arts

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Good post, Steve! Your observations and opinions are spot on, imo. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Steve Rowe wrote: they’re trained, skillful movements done naturally.

In order to move fast, you have to coordinate your leg with your arm. If you move your left leg with your right arm followed by move your right leg with your left arm, you can combine 4 moves into just 2 moves. It's very difficult for any untrained guy to coordinate his arm and leg this way.

An untrained person may not be able to do the following exercises on his "1st or even 2nd try". Here are some simple tests.

1. rotate left arm forward while rotate right arm backward at the same time.
2. kick left leg and punch right arm at the same time.
3. push right hand forward while hook right leg back at the same time.
4. right arm hook punch while move left back leg forward at the same time.
5. left leg step to the left while left hand grab on your opponent's right wrist at the same time.
6. right leg step in while right arm comb the hair at the same time.
7. ...
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:45 am

Great post! Unfortunately I repeated the first three years several times before I came to that realisation. I won't let that happen to my students, though. 8-)

Also, loved the dialogue between your Sensei and you.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 am

johnwang wrote:
Steve Rowe wrote: they’re trained, skillful movements done naturally.

In order to move fast, you have to coordinate your leg with your arm. If you move your left leg with your right arm followed by move your right leg with your left arm, you can combine 4 moves into just 2 moves. It's very difficult for any untrained guy to coordinate his arm and leg this way.

An untrained person may not be able to do the following exercises on his "1st or even 2nd try". Here are some simple tests.

1. rotate left arm forward while rotate right arm backward at the same time.
2. kick left leg and punch right arm at the same time.
3. push right hand forward while hook right leg back at the same time.
4. right arm hook punch while move left back leg forward at the same time.
5. left leg step to the left while left hand grab on your opponent's right wrist at the same time.
6. right leg step in while right arm comb the hair at the same time.
7. ...

I was reading these and thinking: "Those are easy!"

But then I remembered when one of my students said I wasn't human.. :P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Tatanka on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:28 am

Steve Rowe: All of your articles are awesome. But no joke, I really want to see you make badass action movies.

John Wang: No disrespect, but all of those examples are easy.
Last edited by Tatanka on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Óðinn á yðr alla!
Tatanka
Santi

Postby Martin2 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:38 am

Here a bit about the term ziran - naturalness:

http://taichi-philosophy.blogspot.de/20 ... lness.html

Enjoy
Martin2
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan