Red Sand Palm vs. Iron Palm

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Red Sand Palm vs. Iron Palm

Postby Ben on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 pm

I know a few of the basic exercise of Red Sand Palm. I am curious to know how the trining progresses and how it compaires to Iron Palm training. Anyone here willing to share some info or know of resources about Red Sand Palm?
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Re: Red Sand Palm vs. Iron Palm

Postby edededed on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Broadly speaking, as far as I know it seems that the red sand palm is the "internal" subset of palm training (breathing exercises, intention, etc.), while iron sand palm is the "external" subset (toughening by hitting various parts of the hands with various materials, etc.). However, definitions may differ depend on who is using the words.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:22 am

If I remember correctly, red sand palm was described in a book as an internal practice where you strike red hot sand repeatedly, when you have mastered the gung you will be able to kill someone instantly with a palm strike or any time up to a week later, decided by you when you strike them. Book said it takes 20-30 years of daily practice to master.

Cool book but who knows how true it is.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Ben on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:41 am

Just thinking out loud here but sand melts. So if one were to heat it untill it was red hot I believe it would melt. That would be a whole other ball game than striking something hot. Hot and liquid would hurt a lot more. ???
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:01 pm

I guess if the sand had a demon in it...it wouldn't melt. :P
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:47 pm

Red Sand Palm is called that as it mentioned using cinnabar in the formula. It is Mercuric Oxide. It is poisonous and a naturally occurring form of mercury. I do not use it in any formulas, as its mercury. I have had arguments with people over it, but its mercury. Enough said....

I would avoid using it at all costs.

Any decent Iron Palm program is 90% internal training and the hitting of the bag is actually minimal. Most have serious amounts of standing, and learning to create Sung, as well as learn to connect the body and its structure to the ground vector.

Let me know if anyone wants to know more.

There is also an Iron Palm thread if you are interested.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:59 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:If I remember correctly, red sand palm was described in a book as an internal practice where you strike red hot sand repeatedly, when you have mastered the gung you will be able to kill someone instantly with a palm strike or any time up to a week later, decided by you when you strike them. Book said it takes 20-30 years of daily practice to master.

Well, if it's in a book it must be true. I can red sand palm you over the Internet b.t.w - you better watch yourself.... :P
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:01 am

GrahamB wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:If I remember correctly, red sand palm was described in a book as an internal practice where you strike red hot sand repeatedly, when you have mastered the gung you will be able to kill someone instantly with a palm strike or any time up to a week later, decided by you when you strike them. Book said it takes 20-30 years of daily practice to master.

Well, if it's in a book it must be true. I can red sand palm you over the Internet b.t.w - you better watch yourself.... :P

My red iron shirt gung has made me immune to red sand palm, buddha palm, taoist palm, one finger gung, and iron fist. I can only be harmed by the ghetto booty biatch slap. Too bad it can only be performed by a woman GrahamB.

;D
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan