Do You Train To Fight?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Do You Train To Fight?

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:51 am

Today's blog http://steve-rowe.com/2016/01/30/do-you-train-to-fight/

“The end result of martial arts training is to fight” – is it?

Mine isn’t. Mine includes the emotional intelligence to deal with confrontation in all it’s guises, to be able have resolve, determination and courage when needed, along with the patience, kindness, tolerance and compassion and their associated requisite skills when needed.

To keep the peace.

The calligraphy for ‘Budo’ and ‘Wu Shu’ is ‘to stop the spear’. The ‘Wa’ in ‘Wado’ means harmony and balance, as does ‘Aiki’ in Aikido, ‘Goju’ in ‘Goju Ryu’ and ‘Tai Chi’ means ‘Grand Ultimate’ as in the harmony of an enlightened mind.

‘Fight’ is contrary to all those ideas.

The 3 treasures of form and kata are ‘health’ as in both mind and body, brought about by good posture, breathing and an aware, focused and meditative mind. ‘Skill’, the construction of the form or kata is designed to combine ideas and movement to improve the skill level of the practitioner not necessarily in a combination that they would find in an everyday confrontation but would make them more than capable to deal with the lower level required at the time and ‘boxing’ being the physical application of technique in every centimetre of movement all the way through the form or kata.

It’s a fundamental difference that separates martial arts and thuggery. If you just want to learn to ‘fight’ you wouldn’t go to a traditional martial arts school, if you want to learn self defence of both mind and body along with the emotional intelligence to cope with all of life including ‘keeping the peace’ in all forms, a GOOD traditional school is a good place to start.

Martial arts is an alchemy that works on all levels. There is no quick fix, but each day you should be better than you were the day before. Transformation requires continual postural, breathing and mental training and daily technical study of the Art. Day by day, week by week, month by month and year by year with 99% input from student and 1% by instructor, the alchemy takes place.

Like I said, no quick fix, but like everything that takes effort, it’s life changing.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Re: Do You Train To Fight?

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:23 am

Agreed. Thanks, Steve. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Steve Rowe wrote:‘Wu Shu’ is ‘to stop the spear’.

"武(Wu)" also means to "use spear to stop enemy's attack". Without martial, there will be no peace. Without martial, there will be no MA but dancing.

I train to fight and I have no shame to admit it.

Steve Rowe wrote:If you just want to learn to ‘fight’ you wouldn’t go to a traditional martial arts school, ...

Sometime the TCMA teacher is the only teacher that you can find at the time you need it. If I can live my life all over again, will I take boxing over my long fist and Shuai Chiao? I think I would still take my TCMA (long fist and Shuai Chiao). I do believe that I can go to a TCMA school and learn to "fight".
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:59 am

With all the noble aims - Ive got a funny observation; I observe so called TCMA students to be overweight much often than bjj, muay thai or boxing ones (or actually the ones that train more "external" TCMA styles). Actually the more "internal" or "health oriented" the stye the worse it seems to get.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:39 am

bartekb wrote:With all the noble aims - Ive got a funny observation; I observe so called TCMA students to be overweight much often than bjj, muay thai or boxing ones (or actually the ones that train more "external" TCMA styles). Actually the more "internal" or "health oriented" the stye the worse it seems to get.

That certainly isn't true in my case or in that of any of my teachers, probably because we all train for optimum athletic fitness and fighting skills, not only for health or self-cultivation purposes. Just saying! 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:05 am

Most martial arts schools (traditional or otherwise) are a very poor place to learn self defense in the legal sense of the term and often an even worse place to learn anything about how to behave with other people. It's easy to say "a GOOD traditional school will do all those things", but that really has nothing to do with the art itself, it just hinges on the character of the person running the school. I've seen admirable people who have their shit together who were great teachers and martial artists, but I believe they were great teachers and martial artists because they were admirable people, not the other way around. I've never seen MA turn a shithead into a good person-- it's just a tool set that people can use however they like, for good or ill.

Most of the cultural artifacts that people associate with MA, especially Asian MA, are artifacts of the culture the art comes from, not anything specific to MA itself. Your martial arts may be an alchemy that works on all levels, but that comes from you, not the art.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wude on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:47 am

:-*
Last edited by wude on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
wude
Santi

Postby Steve Rowe on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:09 am

I was a shithead until I found a good traditional club. My background was violent, my first clubs,were violent and it was only the neigong and training structure of a good system that changed me. I've seen it work for many others over the years. It works because of both parties not just one.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:51 am

I was chatting to a chinese guy today who told me that he does krav maga. I asked him why not a chinese martial art and he said "because they dont like to do enough self defense". :-\
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:44 am

Do I train to fight?

Once you're married it's the other way around - you have to fight to train. lol ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:44 am

dspyrido wrote:I was chatting to a chinese guy today who told me that he does krav maga. I asked him why not a chinese martial art and he said "because they dont like to do enough self defense". :-\

Only "special" people do Krav Maga in my experience.... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:43 am

johnwang wrote:I train to fight and I have no shame to admit it.

But you already know how to fight. You only need to keep up shape to keep up the skills.

IMHO, unless we are very immature, we all change our reasons for why we practice as we grow and get older. More or less.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 am

..."we all train for optimum athletic fitness and fighting skills, not only for health or self-cultivation purposes. Just saying! 8-)..."
Doc., if I may,
I would change it a little:

optimum athletic fitness = health
and
fighting skills are for protecting our self-cultivating process.
perfect pair, then :)

I was training with the "fighting only" in the mind by first 20 year of my practice.
But
Next 30 are from light to hard different,
However fighting aspect is always >handy, nearby < :D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:12 pm

GrahamB wrote:Once you're married it's the other way around - you have to fight to train. lol ;D

You know you train to fight when you argue with your wife, you get into a fighting stance.

Bao wrote:we all change our reasons for why we practice as we grow and get older. More or less.

The older I'm, the more that I'm interested in "fighting". The reason is simple. I no longer can afford to waste my training time. I do believe that I have wasted too much of my training time in solo form when I was young. Today, I want to develop an effective combat system.

The following are what I taught in my class yesterday.

- front kick knee stomping.
- front kick knee stomping count by front kick knee stomping back.
- front kick knee stomping count by foot sweep.
- side kick knee stomping.
- reverse side kick knee stomping.
- octopus strategy.
- double spears strategy.
- rhino strategy.
- zombie arms strategy.
- wheeling step set up.
- circular dragging set up.

What style do I teach in my class? From the above list, it's easy to see that I'm not teaching any particular TCMA style but "how to fight".

If my opponent

- doesn't do anything, I move in and finish it.
- attacks, I still move in and finish it.

What's the best way to achieve that? That's my "only" interest at this point of my life and I feel strongly about it.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:25 pm

johnwang wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Once you're married it's the other way around - you have to fight to train. lol ;D

You know you train to fight when you argue with your wife, you get into a fighting stance.

Bao wrote:we all change our reasons for why we practice as we grow and get older. More or less.

The older I'm, the more that I'm interested in "fighting". The reason is simple. I no longer can afford to waste my training time. I do believe that I have wasted too much of my training time in solo form when I was young. Today, I want to develop an effective combat system.

The following are what I taught in my class yesterday.

- front kick knee stomping.
- front kick knee stomping count by front kick knee stomping back.
- front kick knee stomping count by foot sweep.
- side kick knee stomping.
- reverse side kick knee stomping.
- octopus strategy.
- double spears strategy.
- rhino strategy.
- zombie arms strategy.
- wheeling step set up.
- circular dragging set up.

What style do I teach in my class? From the above list, it's easy to see that I'm not teaching any particular TCMA style but "how to fight".

If my opponent

- doesn't do anything, I move in and finish it.
- attacks, I still move in and finish it.

What's the best way to achieve that? That's my "only" interest at this point of my life and I feel strongly about it.

That is how a martial art should be trained. Anything that doesnt require a partner to develop is a good choice for solo training.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan