NLP Influences Opponent?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

NLP Influences Opponent?

Postby marvin8 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 am

Steve Smith is inheritor of Yueng Chuan. Fook Yueng taught Bruce Lee red boat wing chun (which has a mixture of praying mantis) in Seattle, WA.

“Master Fook was an Opera Gung Fu brother with Bruce Lee’s father, Lee Hoi Chuen. As a favor to Mr. Lee Hoi Chuen, Fook Yeung picked up Bruce Lee off the boat when Bruce got to U.S. The first thing when Bruce did when he got off the boat was to ask to do Chi Sau, when he couldn’t get through, he asked Fook Yeung to teach him. From 1959-1965 or so Bruce learned different styles from Fook Yeung (anyone that wants to learn more about this can read it in the great book “Between Wing Chun and JKD” by Jesse Glover, the first student of Bruce Lee and founder of NCGF).”

In parts 5 & 6 of this interview, Steve mentions NLP and how it can influence an opponent’s reaction, then you can take control. This is interesting to me. What Steve talks about is similar to how you can control an opponent's reaction with feints, pressure (e.g., forward, offensive, release of, etc.), controlling distance, broken rhythm (e.g., create rapport than break it, etc.), footwork, attacks (combination of inside & outside guard, circle & straight, high & low, different angles, etc.) etc., where, in fact, you can cause an opponent to react, tense up even without contact. Then, you can unbalance, control & finish them. (This is different from what Derren Brown does, which only works on those that are sensitive to hypnosis.) I don't think the term NLP, in itself, is important here.

Starting @ 9:19 “So, you’re hijacking my nervous system. Secondary pressure. Press, relax, create rapport. You’re basically doing NLP, but you’re doing it through physicality.” Starting @14:12 “So, maybe you go Yin pak and a Yang tan. From a Yang tan, you go to Yang fook. From a Yang fook, maybe a bong, then a jut sau.” Steve does this with light to no contact. (I like the moves Steve does @ 15:21 – 15:54.)

Published on 21 Apr 2013
In this interview, Steve talks about his experience studying with Fook Yeung RIP (Founder of Yeung Chuan, Fook was Bruce Lee's teacher in Seattle from 59-65), David Harris RIP (Founder of Shoshin Ryu Karate Jijutsu) , Sid Woodcock RIP (Aikikutsu Grandmaster), Jesse Glover RIP (Founder of Non Classical Gung Fu, Bruce Lee's first student), Sonny Umpad RIP (Founder of Visayan Corto Kadena Larga Mano Escrima). It gave a glimpse of important ideas and how the arts connect and the wonderful memories in the journey. Steve Smith is the inheritor of Fook Yeung Chuan and the Founder of Infinity Concepts, he teaches in Walla Walla USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76jeb3vIDg

Steve Smith Interview Part 6 of 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuLqgBVEqcQ
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan