How we walk

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How we walk

Postby WVMark on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:08 am

In judo, one of the main weaknesses that is used for advantages is when an opponent puts most of his/her weight on one leg. When stepping, putting most of your weight on one leg is a definite disadvantage in the martial arts. Yet, most people walk this way. They load one leg to let the other leg come forward to step. This is like a normal door opening on side hinges. Everything is hinged to one side.

When you look at some of the classics, you find written theories like this:
The body is LIVELY. When your body is sluggish, advancing and retreating cannot be done smoothly. Therefore your body should be lively. When moving your hands, there must be nothing resembling hesitation. When the opponent’s force hinders even the hairs on my skin, my intention instantly enters his bones and my hands are bracing him, all as one event. If he puts pressure on my left side, I empty my left side and my right side goes forth, or if he puts pressure on my right side, I empty my right side and my left side goes forth, the energy like a wheel.

The bold is mine. The energy is like a wheel. Or like one of those revolving doors like someone we all know uses as an example. Moving with energy like a wheel means to move in the center of you always. It's a very different way to move and requires a lot of retraining the body.

Mark
WVMark
Huajing

Postby David Boxen on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:51 am

WVMark wrote: putting most of your weight on one leg is a definite disadvantage in the martial arts. Yet, most people walk this way. They load one leg to let the other leg come forward to step. This is like a normal door opening on side hinges. Everything is hinged to one side.

I think I'm missing something in your description. On a very basic level, in the context of walking, how would one step the right foot forward without putting weight on the left foot?
Last edited by David Boxen on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:11 am

David Boxen wrote:
WVMark wrote: putting most of your weight on one leg is a definite disadvantage in the martial arts. Yet, most people walk this way. They load one leg to let the other leg come forward to step. This is like a normal door opening on side hinges. Everything is hinged to one side.

DB:
I think I'm missing something in your description. On a very basic level, in the context of walking, how would one step the right foot forward without putting weight on the left foot?

;)

more to the point, a wheel has a single point of contact with the ground
what he might be refering to is the transition between taking a step and how its done.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:14 am

windwalker wrote: the transition between taking a step and how its done.

I don't understand what you are saying.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:25 am

David Boxen wrote:
windwalker wrote: the transition between taking a step and how its done.

I don't understand what you are saying.

maybe I was not to clear its been covered already

windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:30 pm

It is not important to have a lot of walking drills
One advance
One retreat
One sidestep
One four corners
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form