Can You Use Qinna???

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Can you use Qinna against a fully resisting opponent?

No, I can only use Qinna techniques on fully compliant people if they offer me their wrist.
5%
No, I can only use Qinna techniques under limited conditions like Tuishou or Chishou.
15%
Yes, I can use some Qinna techniques whilst sparring with a fully resisting opponent.
36%
Yes, I can flow from one Qinna technique to another or with a combination of strikes and throws whilst under constant pressure from a decent, fully resisting, non-compliant opponent.
42%

Total votes : 19

Re: Can You Use Qinna???

Postby dspyrido on Thu May 19, 2016 7:01 pm

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Why not just do normal grappling?

IMO, the traditional format such as to use:

- non-resistance "partner drill" for skill developing,
- full resistance "sparring/wrestling" for skill testing.

is not that easy to develop any individual skill.

This method is "full resistance", since you only concentrate on one move, it will truly test how good that you can use a certain move. It's a format that I like to use at this point of my age. I may not be able to spar/wrestle 15 rounds, but I don't mind to test my "particular" skill 15 rounds in this kind of format with my students or new guys. For example, I have asked boxers just to punch at me and I tried to use "rhino guard" to play 100% defense. Since my opponent plays offense and I plays defense, the testing environment can be controlled in a safe and friendly environment.

A "particular" skill can be a:

- wrist lock,
- elbow lock,
- shoulder lock,
- head lock,
- reverse head lock,
- throat control,
- under hook,
- over hook,
- single leg,
- block 20 punches,
- block 20 kicks,

Ah now I get what you are saying. We don't do specific moves like what you are saying but a near equivalent is having someone glove up and the other person just defend. Same is for grappling where I just defend and the opponent is allowed to do all takedown/throws. Or on the ground & the goal is not to be submitted or pinned but to stay on the ground (parte, guard or under side control) for the duration. Other examples are more around conditioning with someone attempting to snap the head down while the other person is holding the structure.

To further clarify what you've mentioned - if for example the skill is only single leg is the attacker still able to use wrist control, head snap down, throat control etc. to set it up? They just need to finish with the single leg?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu May 19, 2016 7:35 pm

dspyrido wrote:To further clarify what you've mentioned - if for example the skill is only single leg is the attacker still able to use wrist control, head snap down, throat control etc. to set it up? They just need to finish with the single leg?

They need to finish with single leg but they can use all different set up.

IMO, single skill testing is just the starting point. Multiple skills testing will be the end point. The more finish skills that you have included, the more realistic the test will be. For example, you may test both single leg and head lock in the same game. This way, the low attack and high attack are both included. If your opponent pays too much attention on single leg, he may expose his head to you, and the other way around. When you test your single leg and head lock, you don't even need to include the final take down. If you get your opponent's leading leg, or head lock, the rest part should be easy.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:To further clarify what you've mentioned - if for example the skill is only single leg is the attacker still able to use wrist control, head snap down, throat control etc. to set it up? They just need to finish with the single leg?

They need to finish with single leg but they can use all different set up.

IMO, single skill testing is just the starting point. Multiple skills testing will be the end point. The more finish skills that you have included, the more realistic the test will be. For example, you may test both single leg and head lock in the same game. This way, the low attack and high attack are both included. If your opponent pays too much attention on single leg, he may expose his head to you, and the other way around. When you test your single leg and head lock, you don't even need to include the final take down. If you get your opponent's leading leg, or head lock, the rest part should be easy.

I like it. Also should be a means of teaching people to think up finishing combinations and test them out vs. being robots and doing what they are told.
dspyrido
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan