Sun Tai Chi...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Sun Tai Chi...

Postby Subitai on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:45 pm

Last edited by Subitai on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Re: Sun Tai Chi...

Postby driftwood on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:22 am

This is nice. Thank you.

Among other things, I practice Hao style (from which Sun style) is derived and the Hao version of Lan Zha Yi is even more small frame and minimal than this, so it is nice to compare and contrast, as is the Chen style version. The follow step is very important and generally overlooked. Interestingly, it seems that Lan Zha Yi in Sun style as it is expressed here is very similar to Lan Que Wei (grasping the sparrows tail) in Wu style.

From my experience, most people, including myself, translate Lan Zha Yi as: lazily tying the coat. However, -too lazy to tie the coat- is a better expression- reflecting an aspiration towards the ultimate level of deep relaxation necessary for high level Taiji skill. I think I am convinced. Even so, I think I can take this one level deeper by telling you that my wife generally calls Taiji practice ----- are your ready for it? ----- too lazy to get a decent job.
driftwood
Santi

Postby Subitai on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 am

Dude...that was so funny, the last sentence and almost all my coffee spilled!!!! hahahahah
Subitai
Huajing

Postby cloudz on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks for the clip Subitai, like it.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:18 am

Nice, solid Sun style. 8-) You don't need to translate the moves so "literary" into applications though. But it's good for teaching and learning. Would like to see more Sun style ideas from this fellow. He seem to be more of a Hung Gar guy though. Nothing wrong with that... :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:05 pm

I really like this guys stuff
So much more convincing than some I see out there promoting sun
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby leftwose on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Onassis was the first guy I ever met that had a clearly scary amount of power that he was clearly choosing not to unleash on me as he used me during a demo at a WTCQD event in the early 00s.

Southeastern CT is a weird place in that there are a number of quiet guys like O that have deep material and are teaching it to those that stumble upon him. I have been so happy to see him slowly open up his door and put more stuff out there.

He is always talking to people about looking at their forms more closely and deriving the usage. He also has an MMA record for those that care about Realness (tm)

peace,
.conal.
leftwose
Anjing

Postby Franklin on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:53 am

don't forget --- "The Devil Hates Kung FU" !!!!

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mU2hHhszc
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Franklin wrote:don't forget --- "The Devil Hates Kung FU" !!!!

;)

ARRRGGHH Dude you got me...haha. I don't really have a defense for what we filmed back in the late 90's except that I encourage you to drink a couple of beers before you watch those KWOON episodes. Haha. That was when cable modem was just getting into personal homes and the speeds could finally match up.

My friend Todd had was taking advantage of all the ".COM" millionaires and the fluctuation of the stock market, He invested his way into almost 1/2 a million. He used it to make those 3 movies plus allot of Lap Dances from Strippers at his house. haha. Funny when you have some money to film, there are plenty of people willing to take your money and show you how the film industry works. ::) In hindsight, we could have made 20 episodes for the amount of money. too bad.

Dude, Conal thx bro...but I'll also mention (because you're too humble) that you've upped your Bagua game allot since then. haha. bows.

P.s. by the way Conal, are you coming up for World Tai Chi Day up in Colchester, CT this year?
Last edited by Subitai on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Franklin on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:22 am

Subitai wrote:
Franklin wrote:don't forget --- "The Devil Hates Kung FU" !!!!

;)

ARRRGGHH Dude you got me...haha. I don't really have a defense for what we filmed back in the late 90's except that I encourage you to drink a couple of beers before you watch those KWOON episodes. Haha. That was when cable modem was just getting into personal homes and the speeds could finally match up.

My friend Todd had was taking advantage of all the ".COM" millionaires and the fluctuation of the stock market, He invested his way into almost 1/2 a million. He used it to make those 3 movies plus allot of Lap Dances from Strippers at his house. haha. Funny when you have some money to film, there are plenty of people willing to take your money and show you how the film industry works. ::) In hindsight, we could have made 20 episodes for the amount of money. too bad.

Dude, Conal thx bro...but I'll also mention (because you're too humble) that you've upped your Bagua game allot since then. haha. bows.

P.s. by the way Conal, are you coming up for World Tai Chi Day up in Colchester, CT this year?

man-- those were awesome--
don't knock them..

i think i met you one time- briefly - in like 99 or 2000
i went to acupuncture school with Serge in LA
we drove up to San Fransisco one time- to hang out and check some stuff out..
on the way we stopped in San Jose - he introduced me to Wing lam
and when we were there- Serge was all like- we got to see if my friend is home- he is making kung fu movies..
i think we stopped by your house for a minute -- and then took off...

hope you make more vids of the hung gar and sun style

Franklin
Last edited by Franklin on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Details about "Wu Chi" and an example about applying:
"Beginning Tai Chi" leading up to "lazily tying coat"

Subitai
Huajing

Postby Subitai on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 pm

Here again is another video in my series in an attempt to help people with Sun Taiji.

The section is after one of the many "Open and Close" and it covers San Ti and the transitions all the way to "lazily Tying Coat".

Subitai
Huajing

Postby Subitai on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am

In this section: is what directly follows "Fist under Elbow"... and some details.

Subitai
Huajing

Postby Bao on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:27 am

Thank you for sharing the vids. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Continuing on: someone had asked for "Fair Maiden Weaves"...here are some details:

Subitai
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan