My experience with Chen Ziqiang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

My experience with Chen Ziqiang

Postby jaime_g on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 am

This weekend I could go to one Chen Ziqiang seminar near to my city. Saturday was a form day (I couldnt go) but Sunday was announced as a four hours tuishou day. I had to work a lot during the week, so a bit of free time was welcomed.

I'm not a chen taiji guy, but Ziqiang had a reputation and many videos in youtube doing free tuishou, so pushing with him sounded like fun. I asked the host if free pushing with Ziqiang was possible and he said it was ok.

However, it wasnt like I thought. The 4 hours of Sunday began with 30 minutes of typical chinese stretching as a warm up. Then 15 minutes of chansigong drills, and after that 30 minutes of yilu. I was a bit surprised with the progress of the seminar, but I decided to wait and see what comes next. He went to explain tuishou theory during 45 minutes , then we did a break of 30 minutes.

We spent 60 minutes doing one hand tuishou drills and a couple of qinna exercises. Ziqiang touched people very briefly, I only had an exchange moment with him in the whole seminar. The seminar ended with him doing a yilu demo and people taking photos. No free tuishou at all :( It was a bit disappointing for me.
Last edited by jaime_g on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Re: My experience with Chen Ziqiang

Postby Dmitri on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:28 am

That sucks...

You should have come up to him and directly asked to do some PH for a minute. (I'm assuming you didn't?) Doesn't look like a guy who would refuse that, but who knows... Very, very few of them agree to that sort of thing. Even Systema's Vlad refused when I asked him, extremely politely of course, for very light non-confrontational soft free-style sparring, -- he was afraid to hurt me from what I gathered. I can understand, I guess; liability and all. But still... Oh well.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:12 am

So you didn't get what you paid for = 4 hours of push hands. Ask for your money back then.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:00 am

Cue apologists talking about 'the Chinese way' vs. 'the Western mind' :)
Ian

Postby Bhassler on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:40 am

Last edited by Bhassler on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:23 pm

After he got done with that guy, he asked if there was anyone else so I raised my hand and got to play a bit.

How was your experience with him? I only could touch him for a moment, so I cannot say much more. My impression was that he felt "normal".
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Perhaps 'mano a mano' (leisurely tuishou to assess how adequate he is...) would have been better than 'cara a cara'!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby willie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm

I want to grapple or push or push, grapple and with light strike with Chen Ziqiang does anyone have his schedule?
I've seen many video's of his seminar's, I think he's offering the best event for the dollar.
I have big respect for him.
Last edited by willie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Bhassler on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Last edited by Bhassler on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Jaime
None of these guys should feel normal-regardless of their fighting skills. Take out the fighting skills...you have felt some pretty serious guys. Did any of THEM feel normal to you?
I for one have never been impressed with his grappling skills, he always looks tight and the throws are rather sloppy.
I've seen better in a host of Judo players. Nothing wrong with that, he doesn't have to be a master stand up grappler, he's a taiji guy, but if that is what he is being measured by then...it is what it is. :-\
Bodywork

Postby willie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:21 pm

I agree with Dan, they should not feel normal at all.
Some feel like big heavy snakes, some like a sack of potato's, some like a bucket of water and some like liquid steel.
some with light touch and not there, others with wire-like arms, other's with like gorilla arms, or a squid.
none felt like normal people.
willie

Postby jaime_g on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:22 pm

He shouldnt feel normal, but he felt normal :( I'm not speaking about his fighting skills, because we didnt fight, but I dont place him in the "that guy is just different when he does anything to you" area.
Last edited by jaime_g on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:55 am

jaime_g wrote:He shouldnt feel normal, but he felt normal :( I'm not speaking about his fighting skills, because we didnt fight, but I dont place him in the "that guy is just different when he does anything to you" area.

then I would say that he is very humble and hid his skills completely.
Last edited by willie on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:30 am

willie wrote:then I would say that he is very humble and hid his skills completely.

People tend to believe that everyone hides stuff. But I am not so sure about that any of the "masters" or teachers know anything more than what they show. If there's something more there, it will always shine through as being a part of what is shown. Sometimes it's more the practitioners than the teachers who turn TMA into cults, mostly just by their own wishful thinking. There's no reason at all to hide skill as the skill itself is the foremost selling point for any commercial teacher. Teachers all want to show themselves at their best. So what you see and feel is mostly everything that is there. The rest of all of the fuzzy things that you believe might be there is all something that is going on inside your own head.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:16 am

Bao wrote:
willie wrote:then I would say that he is very humble and hid his skills completely.

People tend to believe that everyone hides stuff. But I am not so sure about that any of the "masters" or teachers know anything more than what they show. If there's something more there, it will always shine through as being a part of what is shown. Sometimes it's more the practitioners than the teachers who turn TMA into cults, mostly just by their own wishful thinking. There's no reason at all to hide skill as the skill itself is the foremost selling point for any commercial teacher. Teachers all want to show themselves at their best. So what you see and feel is mostly everything that is there. The rest of all of the fuzzy things that you believe might be there is all something that is going on inside your own head.

You are 100 percent wrong on that.
My first yang style teacher never showed his skills to anyone that I invited over to meet him. "Which pissed me off".
He did not care at all what people thought, He was 100 percent secure in his abilities.
He only showed what he could do to people that he wanted too.
So far I have never met a yang style guy even close to his skill.
you welcome to come over today.
Last edited by willie on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan