My experience with Chen Ziqiang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: My experience with Chen Ziqiang

Postby willie on Sun May 01, 2016 5:07 am

Dmitri wrote:Then IME it should be inseparable from the physical

no, because someone my have the proper intent to do something but not the proper structure to do it.

thanks
Last edited by willie on Sun May 01, 2016 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Dmitri on Sun May 01, 2016 9:18 am

But then it's not "intent" in the IMA sense of the word. :)
(At least in my personal vocabulary.)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sun May 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Dmitri wrote:But then it's not "intent" in the IMA sense of the word. :)
(At least in my personal vocabulary.)

just different thinking. you got a lot of years in various M.A's.
So what's your approach to Yang style after the years that you spent in jiu-jitsu?
how do you feel about it now? and are you doing the MMA stuff or just grappling?
Last edited by willie on Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 02, 2016 3:07 am

Waaaay off-topic, there... Briefly -- the taiji and jj coexisted very well for the 6 or so years that I did both, and they definitely informed one another, in different ways. Been on sabbatical from taiji for almost 2 years now, for various complex reasons. Still think Yang taiji (or any other taiji style), done correctly (can't emphasize that enough, it's very rare IME), is a great stand-up MA.

As for last question -- mostly grappling, with "MMA classes" only once every month or two, these days. But I've always paid attention to possibility of strikes/kicks when rolling, and I almost never use gi-dependent moves (and when I do, it's simple chokes, never for control, like spider guard or other sport-inspired things.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon May 02, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby willie on Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 am

Dmitri wrote:Waaaay off-topic, there... Briefly -- the taiji and jj coexisted very well for the 6 or so years I've done both, I forming one another in different ways. On sabbatical from taiji for almost 2 years now, for various complex reasons. Still think Yang taiji (or any other style), done correctly, is a great stand-up MA.

Mostly grappling, with MMA stuff only once every month or two, these days. But I've always paid attention to possibility of strikes/kicks when rolling, and almost never use gi-dependent moves.

topics dead anyways.
good response. I've found about the same thing.
for me it's never been one against the other, they can co-exist. on the down
side is MMA schools that I've been to kind-of have a forget all you know attitude.
yet they don't even know anything about internal arts.
so the arts go together just fine but the ego's don't.
thanks for your honest reply.
willie

Postby dspyrido on Mon May 02, 2016 7:55 pm

willie wrote:
Dmitri wrote:Waaaay off-topic, there... Briefly -- the taiji and jj coexisted very well for the 6 or so years I've done both, I forming one another in different ways. On sabbatical from taiji for almost 2 years now, for various complex reasons. Still think Yang taiji (or any other style), done correctly, is a great stand-up MA.

Mostly grappling, with MMA stuff only once every month or two, these days. But I've always paid attention to possibility of strikes/kicks when rolling, and almost never use gi-dependent moves.

topics dead anyways.
side is MMA schools that I've been to kind-of have a forget all you know attitude.

Re MMA schools - they are usually there to teach you what they know & the assumption is that they have to take the raw material of people who know nothing & build them up. Not have to accommodate for every possible martial arts variation & build a system that fits for them. If you want personalised service you would probably need to do privates.

Also be aware they are not there to listen to what you know & if you look at the common dude who walks in off the street they seem to know it all. Imagine being a coach with decades of experience who has competed at the international level having to listen to every know it all about how it should be done.

I train with a lot of different people. Many have no idea what I have done in the past & usually won't have an inkling because when in learning mode I like to listen to what is being taught, ask questions & try to work out how it can work for me. The only time this perception changes is if I am teaching, sparring or hitting pads.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue May 03, 2016 4:16 am

dspyrido wrote:
willie wrote:

topics dead anyways.

Re MMA schools - they are usually there to teach you what they know & the assumption is that they have to take the raw material of people who know nothing & build them up. Not have to accommodate for every possible martial arts variation & build a system that fits for them. If you want personalised service you would probably need to do privates.

Also be aware they are not there to listen to what you know & if you look at the common dude who walks in off the street they seem to know it all. Imagine being a coach with decades of experience who has competed at the international level having to listen to every know it all about how it should be done.

I train with a lot of different people. Many have no idea what I have done in the past & usually won't have an inkling because when in learning mode I like to listen to what is being taught, ask questions & try to work out how it can work for me. The only time this perception changes is if I am teaching, sparring or hitting pads.

I understand what your saying and that's one reason why I do train mostly all private.
Besides the benefit of really getting to know your teacher's directly and becoming good friends. I go to their home, they come to mine.
I'm with them...
willie

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan