More gold from Steve Morris

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: More gold from Steve Morris

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5p41fN ... tml5=False

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2SAZo ... tml5=False

interesting talks.

"possible psychotic" yep

@1:20 he mentions the way martial arts are taught vs his ideas regarding what he calls "animal behavior" thoughts ?
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 am

I think there's plenty of people around who can turn it on and off and "get real" and get a job done when need be. I don't go in for all that type of talk anymore.
I leave it for the guys training in camouflage pants.

Maybe someone missed a calling in life. Instead of messing about with karate for decades maybe they should have become a trained killer instead, paid by her majesty.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby willie on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:11 am

he shows excellent defense. I like it, I like it a lot.
the paranoid mindset is common in hard arts, it happened to people I trained with, it's because the root is missing.
nice video any way's.
Last edited by willie on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby dspyrido on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:00 pm

cloudz wrote:Right and so can others; whether it's mma, bjj, MT, judo, boxing, sanda etc.. these are all competitive combat sports..
What I get from this is that 'somehow' Steve has something over and above other trainers on the mind-set/ physical front perhaps due to this 'high arousal' methodology, let's put it like that.

Who said anything that warranted a comparison on styles? Did he say that this is non-existent in other styles?

Steve states he had moments of generating supernormal power and then reflecting on what are the possible reasons for this state and how it can be trained. He mentions a zone and some guys are in it with intensity and others are not. Simple.

cloudz wrote:I think it's questionable and debatable that this is in fact of benefit to everyone - or even anyone for a prolonged period. If there are those that for example have trouble getting aggressive or lack that 'killer instinct' then maybe this is a good thing to get from Steve. Otherwise, I'm not sure what all the hoo-ha is really about.

If I wanted to follow someone with a Karate background who crossed over into MMA I would go with Lyoto Machida. Now there's someone who actually has a high level competition fight record vs. someone who does not and has not coached a high level successful competitor as far as I am aware. Lyoto has instructional videos too.

Who said we needed to follow steve or machida? Or ignore Ali, GSP or anyone else?

I like to pay attention to anyone who can exhibit ability that has been tested and proven to work whether it is ima, cma, mma, tma or whatever ma. Then I pick out what fits for me.

But I would definitely not pick someone who talks a lot about power & ability, never exhibits it and barely brushes hands with their students. They have rarely proven to be effective when tested.

As for intensity ... each to their own.

I don't see any reason why intensity in a group session and relaxation in a solo session should not be trained to make someone more complete.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:31 am

Of course, take the bits you like from his training regime and ideas. That's the point. I just feel there are better people out there.

My point about him is that his coaching methods and or fighting ability have not been tested at any particular "high level" competition. So the comparison of looking at fighters and coaches that have is a pertinent one. If you want to chose an ex TMA guy jumping on the mma bandwagon (essentially) after realising the error of his and TMA's ways, no proven mma fight records himself, no proven fighters at those mma high levels over actually proven coaches and athletes that have those credentials behind them. That's your choice to make isn't it.

I think if you put his credentials to teach MMA under proper scrutiny, they don't hold up very well. For example which coaches in wrestling/sub grappling has he worked under and for how long ? That's always something I wondered about. What stand up fighter has he coached to any good level you can show me a clip of them doing the business ?

All this noise, and what is there of substance underneath it all when it comes to SM as an MMA coach.. So far on this thread, where's the substance. A good boxing drill video, other decent training videos. Ok, check. The guy knows some training method and protocol's.

Also leading people into some belief they can tap into and call on some "supercharged" state of "superpower" or whatever the hell is quite dodgy - if that's supposed to be the selling point. It's almost as bad as a chi master doing it the other way - softly gently, don't resist!. But I suppose if you wrap it into hard intense, crazy head space training people are more likely to believe in your superpowers. Feel charged up like a superman? Then you are dude, you can have supercharged superpowers too! Just like me, see how big and scary I am and crazy animal I get!! RARRR. Watch while I pick this car up and throw it across the street! ;D

Let's see them working for him in his weight class shall we, can we, guys he's coached?
Oh yeah, yet again, nothing comes back and you can show me nothing.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 am

cloudz wrote:My point about him is that his coaching methods and or fighting ability have not been tested at any particular "high level" competition. So the comparison of looking at fighters and coaches that have is a pertinent one. If you want to chose an ex TMA guy jumping on the mma bandwagon (essentially) after realising the error of his and TMA's ways, no proven mma fight records himself, no proven fighters at those mma high levels over actually proven coaches and athletes that have those credentials behind them. That's your choice to make isn't it. . . .

All this noise, and what is there of substance underneath it all when it comes to SM as an MMA coach.. So far on this thread, where's the substance. A good boxing drill video, other decent training videos. Ok, check. The guy knows some training method and protocol's.

Steve reminds me of Benny Urquidez, with his sweat pants and hair. They're close in age, too.

Uploaded on Jul 30, 2006
A segment from the Discovery Channel featuring legendary kickboxing champion Benny "The Jet" Urquidez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-Lkqz_dnk

In 1981, Benny Urquidez takes part to an American team, headed by WKA President, Howard Hanson, during the "Road to Hong-Kong". In this city, Urquidez fights Kong Fu Tak, a local kung-fu champion and beats him before the end of the fight. It's sometimes mentioned that it was a death match. If you see the video, it is more a fight in kick-boxing style, with protections for the hands and feet and is disputed without a ring, with a referee. Kong Fu Tak will beat Billy Chow in a Thai-Boxing fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98aOKLKB4Lc

Published on Feb 19, 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVhs9d ... tml5=False
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:33 pm

cloudz wrote:Let's see them working for him in his weight class shall we, can we, guys he's coached?
Oh yeah, yet again, nothing comes back and you can show me nothing.

Have you trained with Steve to say you got nothing from him? Or is there some other deep seated annoyance about the fellow that I am missing? He might be a annoying (I really don't know) which warrants just moving on but he might have good skills to impart.

As for the marketing and super mega power - you may be right. IDK. The guys who have trained with him or tested him should be able to pipe up here.

When watching his videos nothing screams out that he has no idea. I even think that his coaching style seems pretty calm & balanced between testing and stretching which seem a bit contrary to the article.

In the end if he lived on my side of the town I would drop in for a visit.

marvin8 wrote:Steve reminds me of Benny Urquidez, with his sweat pants and hair. They're close in age, too.

I got to do a weekend training session with Benny years ago. He was absolutely great as a trainer & a great guy. He also struck me as someone who genuinely loves training & teaching.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 am

Hey look, I don't really do absolutes.. I agree with you that there's good things, plenty if you like. If you take a step back, I have only really criticized or questioned a few things - mostly the things that jump out from that article I find questionable. That's just a small part of the whole story. Yes I know guys that have trained with him. My long term training partner hosted him in London, and he's come up on this board before (try some search if you fancy.. could be interesting) I wouldn't have a problem training with him to get a first hand view, though I did pass on it at the time, because I felt I was already training the way I wanted/needed to.. We make choices all the time in this "thing" right, I'm good, I have more to make always, so do you, so does everybody.

Namaste!:)
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 am

My brother trained with Steve at Earlham Street in the '60's, over the years some of my guys trained with him at Horsham and I had him here for a couple of seminars a few years ago. Not my kind of training and when I called him a 'good' coach he was very upset with me as if that was an insult and calls me his 'enemy' in the nicest possible way because i think very differently to him. He's done a lot of research, is obsessive with his training and opinions and definitely walks his own path, you've got to respect him for that. I guess he's 'marmite' to many - you either love him or hate him.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 am

I have a lot of respect for his skills from my limited exposure. With regards to his method, I don't really have much else to say other than it's not for me but I will say that cloudz observations are both intelligent and on point and are not easily dismissed.

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 am

cloudz wrote:I think there's plenty of people around who can turn it on and off and "get real" and get a job done when need be. I don't go in for all that type of talk anymore.
I leave it for the guys training in camouflage pants.

Maybe someone missed a calling in life. Instead of messing about with karate for decades maybe they should have become a trained killer instead, paid by her majesty.

Funnily enough, IME, the real guys in camo pants go for the "cool Professional" mindset most times rather than "feral" as default. I think it pays to explore all aspects of mindset, bearing in mind what sort of life you want to lead and the sort of situations you might find yourself in. I don't believe there is a one size fits all
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan