Wudang Origin of Taijiquan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Wudang Origin of Taijiquan

Postby willie on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Last edited by willie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Your a funny dude willie
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:27 pm

willie wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:
Whether internal or external the form looks the same. How would the guards know the difference? Touch hands with most taiji guys and they are external. And that includes most of the so-called masters. No matter how hard they train the secrets never reveal themselves and that is because they were never taught them.

LOL! no one even agrees on what internal is...
it is a worthless conversation and one that should be done with the questioner in the horizontal position.

o.k. so what are the secrets?

I agree. You, the questioner, will end up in the horizontal position. ;D

Come to Northern California where we have a sizable cima community. If I come to you who will there be to train with after I finish you off? I've seen you playing with your son and dancing by yourself but you are no Billy Idol.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Bugang on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:51 pm

amor wrote:Chen seems to focus more on 'structure' but Yang seems to believe that structure is not so important

That's VERY controversical!!!
*Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other Plans*
Bugang
Mingjing

Postby Overlord on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:56 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:Last week my master told me that he had been doing some research and talking to people and that he believes that Taijiquan doesn't come from Chenjiagou. He has studied most styles of Taijiquan, so he has no bias towards one or another.

He told me that the Chen clan was known for their Paoquan and that the names (and movements) in the form obviously show a Buddhist, Shaolin influence, whereas Yang and the other styles from out of Chenjiagou are more Daoist in nature. He believes that a Taijiquan master came to Chenjiagou and taught Chen Wangting the original (TM) Taijiquan.

It was evnetually passed down to Chen Changxing, who wasn't able to teach it, as it was frowned upon by the others in Chenjiagou (being an art from the OUTSIDE), so he taught Yang Luchan, as no one was allowed to teach him Paoquan anyways, as he was an outsider. Over time some Taijiquan rubbed off on others in the village and the Paoquan gradually became Chen Taijiquan. It wasn't until Yang Taijiquan became popular that they changed the name. So, even then, they were already savvy marketers. Yang's style, Shifu says, bears an uncanny resemblance so Wudang style and he doesn't believe that it was his style that influenced Wudang.

Still, my master studied Chen Taijiquan and highly respects it as a form of Taijiquan (and the others as well), just not the original. Yang Luchan, he says, learned many other arts before and after he studied in Chenjiagou three times. After he left the last time he systemised his own art, which was a mixture of a lot of things as well.

In the end, one can rest assured that we can never know the exact foundations of all of these arts and should instead focus on learning and being able to use them as best we can and not blindly follow a village's PR. Similarly, that Zhang Sanfeng created the art is also likely a crock of shite. Anyways, happy training! ;D

Neither.
During Ming period, Qi Jiguang collected some of the best moves from different styles in China and wrote Fist manual (拳經三十二式), moves in both Yang or Chen all corresponding to this manual.
So must be someone from the military taught them~
Overlord

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan