water and fire

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

water and fire

Postby windwalker on Mon May 16, 2016 7:50 am

Chinese martial arts are basically divided into the internal school and external school. Over the generations, experts have competed for superiority, showing off their special skills in frequent attempts to prove which school is best. But the distinction between the two is very obvious, like water and fire.

What is meant by “taiji”? Born of wuji, it is the naturalness in making the postures. What is meant by “secrets”? They are the essential keys to abide by in order to perform the postures correctly. Perhaps the Thirteen Dynamics are the secrets? Or the Twenty Words? I would say neither. These two sets of things form the soul of Taiji Boxing and supply the functions of the postures for when you are not practicing the set. But to be able to achieve the highest level in this soft art, there are three secrets:

1. Never use exertion. Taiji’s principle of not using exertion has already been explained, but here we will specially restate it. The first secret to performing the Taiji set is to go from start to finish without allowing yourself to put forth effort, for it would cause you to use hardness.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... -rongqiao/

more reading can be found on the blogg site.
I thought the translations where very interesting in light of some other post concerning inner and outer training.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: water and fire

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon May 16, 2016 8:43 am

The first secret to performing the Taiji set is to go from start to finish without allowing yourself to put forth effort, for it would cause you to use hardness

It is indeed a high level training method but the chance to success (I mean to attain a decent level) to start learning with this training approach is quite remote.
Last edited by suckinlhbf on Mon May 16, 2016 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby charles on Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 am

From a pedagogic point of view, the collective writings, the "Classics", are of little use to a beginner. They are actually a detriment rather than a benefit. The writings are so easily misunderstood and misinterpreted that many practitioners think they are doing what is prescribed when they are not.

Take your example of "The first secret...without allowing yourself to put forth effort." One interpretation of this statement gave rise to the "wet-noodle" school of Taijiquan wherein the object is to be as limp as possible while just supporting one's own weight. This is one interpretation of "without allowing yourself to put forth effort." This provides no martial tools and those adhering to this principle, when required to exhibit something "martial" simply resort to brute force, not what traditional Taijiquan was about, or what the "Classics" prescribe.

As an experiential art, there are no words to adequately describe, without room for misinterpretation, what the experience of performing the art "correctly" is like. After one has experienced/learned a specific skill or aspect of the art, reading what others have said about that skill can be helpful to clarify one's language to describe that skill. Reading about it cannot replace the understanding that comes only through the first-hand experience derived from doing the hard work. I'd go further and say that most of what has been written about the art is of little value to actually obtaining skills, should that be the goals of one's reading.
Last edited by charles on Mon May 16, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon May 16, 2016 11:00 am

suckinlhbf wrote:
The first secret to performing the Taiji set is to go from start to finish without allowing yourself to put forth effort, for it would cause you to use hardness

It is indeed a high level training method but the chance to success (I mean to attain a decent level) to start learning with this training approach is quite remote.

High level training? This is the very beginning, where tai chi starts. If you can't make it you have no clue about what tai chi form practice means.

Also, being aware of the movements of the body and focus to relax every part of each second takes a lot of focus. It's more about mind than about body.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Mon May 16, 2016 12:54 pm

I tend to practice more consistent with the following quotes from the same book translation:

From song two (Brennan translation): “Although each place has a part that is empty and a part that is full, I understand where the emptiness is and the fullness, and that everywhere there is this condition of an emptiness and a fullness.”

From song three (Brennan translation): "When the passive and active aspects cannot be distinguished, that is the state of nonpolarity. From nonpolarity arises grand polarity, in which passive and active, or emptiness and fullness, become distinguishable. As soon as I make a movement, passive and active become distinguishable – grand polarity."

From song four (Brennan translation): "If an opponent uses force and I relax my strength, then even if he uses great force, I can still neutralize and yield. This is a case of dropping one side, keeping me able to move. If he uses force and I also apply force, this is a situation of two people resisting against each other, and ultimately the one with the greatest strength would be the winner. This is a case of equal pressure, in which I would end up getting stuck. It is the greatest thing to avoid in Taiji."

Also from song four (Brennan translation): "If you wish to avoid the error of double pressure, you have to understand the passive and active aspects. Passive and active means emptiness and fullness, as well as indirect and direct. When I encounter an opponent, if I feel a situation of double pressure, I then sink away one side so there is both emptiness (passive) and fullness (active)."

Also from song four (Brennan translation): "Do not allow a situation of double pressure, instead give attention to dropping one side."

To me, having empty and full everywhere exemplifies the state of being on the “S-curve” separating the yin from the yang in the taiji diagram. The Taiji diagram is the cycling of yin and yang; it is not yin without yang.

Many people lose the yin part when they interact with another, and thus resist with the double pressure of yang/yang. The correction then is typically to seek one side yielding in order to create yang/yin (or yin/yang). I would disagree with seeking yin on BOTH sides because that creates the double pressure of yin/yin (collapse).

To me, the reason for emphasizing the relaxation (yin) side of the equation is that martially we are typically responding to force, and thus need to be reminded to have yin on one side instead of yang on both sides.

Being yang/yang is using effort and is different, as I understand it, from being yin/yang or yang/yin. Although I can see how someone might interpret the Taijiquan sayings as implying everywhere being soft (i.e., yin/yin), this is not the way that I understand the philosophy. The quoted sayings correct double pressure by sinking or dropping ONE side, NOT both sides.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

charles wrote:

From a pedagogic point of view, the collective writings, the "Classics", are of little use to a beginner. They are actually a detriment rather than a benefit. The writings are so easily misunderstood and misinterpreted that many practitioners think they are doing what is prescribed when they are not.

Take your example of "The first secret...without allowing yourself to put forth effort." One interpretation of this statement gave rise to the "wet-noodle" school of Taijiquan wherein the object is to be as limp as possible while just supporting one's own weight. This is one interpretation of "without allowing yourself to put forth effort." This provides no martial tools and those adhering to this principle, when required to exhibit something "martial" simply resort to brute force, not what traditional Taijiquan was about, or what the "Classics" prescribe.

I would not agree nor do I see the consent need to concern ones self with beginners. One can only find what one seeks if one does not question and keep the beginners mind, one that constantly seeks it. What does it matter to anyone else.
charles wrote: They are actually a detriment rather than a benefit. The writings are so easily misunderstood and misinterpreted that many practitioners think they are doing what is prescribed when they are not.

IME not with real teachers, its pretty clear. Who cares what someone else does, or whether they get it or not. Among those who are true seekers they can and will always be open and seek the correct way that accords with what was written about past masters or demoed by present masters of the art.

translation by Paul Brennan, May, 2016:

I have learned the art from my teacher Yao Fuchun and have practiced it for several years. In the beginning of the training, my shoulders would not loosen, my chest would not stay in, I could not sense my elixir field, which would not awaken, nor could I understand emptiness and fullness, and so I began to lose interest. But because my teacher talks about these things with such enthusiasm, teaching tirelessly, and has himself mastered it, I finally achieved realization.

Now my teacher and his fellow student Jiang Rongqiao have collaborated to produce this book, making use of decades of experience to show people what has not yet been shown. It will soon be on its way to the printers so that students will have a reference work to abide by to keep them from going astray. I am confident that practitioners of this art will find it informative.

Books are only written for those to question, If one does not question they will never understand it.

Recently my colleague Jiang Rongqiao invited me to collaborate on a Taiji Boxing book. We went through the secrets within manuals, discussed them over and over, and considered the best means of presenting them to the world. Wherever this book proves inadequate, we hope our comrades throughout the nation will do us the good favor of coming forward and giving us corrections.
– written by Yao Fuchun of Zunhua [in Hebei], Nov 4, 1929, in Chunshen [a neighborhood in Shanghai]

one should see the spirit of these teachers, asking for others to share and correct it.

I had studied on my own for several years, but fortunately this year I have been accepted as his formal student. I have since been practicing diligently and hope to gain by it, but at present I have only a slight understanding of his principles and methods of his art.

As for its subtler and more magical quality, I can only contemplate it, and I fear that after another twenty years of practice I may still not yet feel I am in any position to discuss it. However, my colleague Yao is very capable in explaining the tricks of the art, and so I have invited him to collaborate with me in producing a reference work to be widely circulated.

Even after many yrs of practice what one does may not accord to what has been written by past masters of the art. I had practiced taiji for some 20yrs before meeting my present teacher of the art. What he was able to do accorded with all my thoughts and understanding of it.

It would be another 10yrs before I would write anything on the net directly about it as now.

I have heard that this art is an authentic example of the internal school. Daoists consider it an energy-accordance art, distinct from the external school. Whereas the external school emphasizes muscle in building martial skill, this art uses spirit to dominate muscle. When practicing, use no exertion at all, act purely by way of spirit, loosen your back and drop your shoulders, contain your chest and sink your breath. Combine mental and physical by focusing on gathering spirit. Let movement be based in stillness, doing through not doing. A moment will come when it suddenly all makes sense, and everything will happen as you wish. This is called “training the spirit and returning to a state of emptiness”.

my point in posting this was to hopefully allow others to read the translations and allow them to make up their own minds about their practices. Or best case for others to comment on what was written according to their current level of practice.

charles wrote:

As an experiential art, there are no words to adequately describe, without room for misinterpretation, what the experience of performing the art "correctly" is like. After one has experienced/learned a specific skill or aspect of the art, reading what others have said about that skill can be helpful to clarify one's language to describe that skill. Reading about it cannot replace the understanding that comes only through the first-hand experience derived from doing the hard work. I'd go further and say that most of what has been written about the art is of little value to actually obtaining skills, should that be the goals of one's reading.

fan song is fan song, once one meets someone who has it there is no doubt. No one that I know of has said that by reading one can gain a skill, the most I would think is that it would cause them to question and see if what they do is similar.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Mon May 16, 2016 3:42 pm

charles wrote:From a pedagogic point of view, the collective writings, the "Classics", are of little use to a beginner. They are actually a detriment rather than a benefit. The writings are so easily misunderstood and misinterpreted that many practitioners think they are doing what is prescribed when they are not.

Great post Charles.
Last edited by willie on Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
willie

Postby suckinlhbf on Tue May 17, 2016 7:41 am

This is the very beginning, where tai chi starts. If you can't make it you have no clue about what tai chi form practice means.

Yes, It is the very beginning for tai chi (and any Internal CMA) training. In my opinion, the practitioner needs strong and flexible ligaments/tendon, able to open the joints, strengthen the fascia and membranes to begin a fruitful training. Then, relax and use the mind to get the training go deep. If not, what can get is like the difference between making a bicycle and truck. Being hit by a truck is not the same as a bicycle. Training without these works too but takes a long time and have to know what to train and how to train. We couldn't afford to spend that much time as the old masters did.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 am

suckinlhbf wrote: In my opinion, the practitioner needs strong and flexible ligaments/tendon, able to open the joints, strengthen the fascia and membranes to begin a fruitful training. Then, relax and use the mind to get the training go deep. If not, what can get is like the difference between making a bicycle and truck. Being hit by a truck is not the same as a bicycle. Training without these works too but takes a long time and have to know what to train and how to train. We couldn't afford to spend that much time as the old masters did.

In tai chi, learning strength of stance, posture, alignment and movement all goes through learning how to relax and bring strength from relaxation. Without knowing how to sink/relax the strength down into the feet, no truck hitting strength will be built.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Tue May 17, 2016 9:44 am

willie wrote:
charles wrote:From a pedagogic point of view, the collective writings, the "Classics", are of little use to a beginner. They are actually a detriment rather than a benefit. The writings are so easily misunderstood and misinterpreted that many practitioners think they are doing what is prescribed when they are not.

Great post Charles.

Agreed
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Tue May 17, 2016 10:06 am

learning strength of stance, posture, alignment and movement all goes through learning how to relax and bring strength from relaxation. Without knowing how to sink/relax the strength down into the feet, no truck hitting strength will be built.

Its true and good luck to the path of building truck hitting strength. Its kind of my thought from years of seeing 7 or above dans masters, and gone masters in various styles.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat May 21, 2016 9:30 am

I would reframe this concept into a qigong/daoyin/yangsheng reality meaning some type of alchemical ;D transmutation of combining the 2 into a paradigm of and for health, well being and longevity.
It is really vague without an "alchemical" background, real or imaginery, for an insight to be gotten.

My simple test when I tell people about yangsheng/qigong is to do whatever their basic routine is. 2-3 months later, they become aware of how their body temperature increases then I tell them when they are going through paida (hitting/massaging body), they will be awre that the stomach area is "colder" so they are instructed to let palms (usually warm) stay at the colder areas until they warm up and then do a stomach "massage' on colder areas. They are also instructed to keep hands on areas that tend to remain colder longer. So fire cooling water, at least making it warmer and through this warming process, keep the whole body "equal" in temperature knowing that it is the essential working areas that need and get the most heat/blood.

It is even an indicator of TCM/CCM variation of damp cold of stomach implying a change in diet/food contents or, and time of food intake affecting stomach and practice.
Last edited by yeniseri on Sat May 21, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat May 21, 2016 5:45 pm

for me,“never using exertion", can also mean application of force at the correct time point
for example, before or after your opponent's moves reach/develops in to their full force.
once this point is passed, it is no use to use hard force or exertion to "bring it back"
it is simply gone.... and you must let it go

you must be able to be very calm and listen
Last edited by Strange on Sat May 21, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:32 am

Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby cloudz on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:12 am

LaoDan practices ILC (as well as TCC).
That should explain something :)

Reading that - It's like I am in the same room with my own ILC instructor.
I have always really liked LD's posts too since he's been around. Amongst others I should add.

Excellent system and art, no doubt.(ILC)

"this is based on feel"...
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan