George Silvas admirer

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

George Silvas admirer

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 24, 2016 11:37 pm

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: George Silvas admirer

Postby jaime_g on Wed May 25, 2016 2:32 am

It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump in Silver's bandwagon. As a third tier master, he is probably more popular today than in his own days.

Pretty absurd for me, as Silver rejected styles that were very close to tcc principles, like Destreza or Saviolo.

Saviolo, Swetnam, Hope, Wylde...I would understand that support, but Silver... ???
Last edited by jaime_g on Wed May 25, 2016 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby zrm on Wed May 25, 2016 4:03 am

I'm was not familiar with Saviolo. This vid has some empty hand drills from that style seem which seem pretty interesting.

Jamie - would you say this video is characteristic of the style?
zrm
Huajing

Postby jaime_g on Wed May 25, 2016 4:09 am

Yes, 1595 club does a good job

Saviolo is very similar to trapping arts, like close range FMA, many CMA...Huge work of left hand, kind of "pugilistic fencing"
Last edited by jaime_g on Wed May 25, 2016 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Thin Ice on Wed May 25, 2016 9:45 am

jaime_g wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump in Silver's bandwagon. As a third tier master, he is probably more popular today than in his own days.

Agreed. He rubbished foreign masters, he rubbished local masters, and somehow he as an enthusiastic amateur possessed the one true art. Boggles the mind.
Thin Ice
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 25, 2016 12:37 pm

I have never read much if silva just got his stuff second hand
Not worried how well he got on with others
The question is are his writings good and does his stuff work
Eric learnt his Euporean sword arts from a man who would spar others with a glass of port in his other hand
If I recall his name was jiles standish and taught in sydney
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 am

wayne hansen wrote:I have never read much if silva just got his stuff second hand

No, his writings aren't good when you know the big picture. His stuff is pretty low level when you compare him with top european masters .

Godinho, Fabris, Saviolo, Agrippa, Carranza, Cavalcabo, Manciolino, Marozzo, Mair, Meyer, Sainct Didier, Ghisliero, Viggiani, Thibault, Bruchius, Figueiredo, Viedma, Capoferro, Giganti, Pascha, Pacheco, Rada... writings are ten steps above Silver's. If you want to pick an english master, Joseph Swetnam's writings are also much better than Silver's.

Some of these men taught fencing to kings and traveled through many countries to learn and check his fencing against other styles.

Eric learnt his Euporean sword arts from a man who would spar others with a glass of port in his other hand

So what? I've done sparring while eating chicken thighs. It's very easy when your opponents are beginners. I would never do something as stupid against decent fencers.
Last edited by jaime_g on Thu May 26, 2016 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu May 26, 2016 4:23 am

Thin Ice wrote:
jaime_g wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump in Silver's bandwagon. As a third tier master, he is probably more popular today than in his own days.

Agreed. He rubbished foreign masters, he rubbished local masters, and somehow he as an enthusiastic amateur possessed the one true art. Boggles the mind.

This tickled me pink.. Imagining what he would be up to if he was around today. :D
Not that this is my thing, I've never heard of him.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 26, 2016 3:35 pm

jaime_g wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:I have never read much if silva just got his stuff second hand

No, his writings aren't good when you know the big picture. His stuff is pretty low level when you compare him with top european masters .

Godinho, Fabris, Saviolo, Agrippa, Carranza, Cavalcabo, Manciolino, Marozzo, Mair, Meyer, Sainct Didier, Ghisliero, Viggiani, Thibault, Bruchius, Figueiredo, Viedma, Capoferro, Giganti, Pascha, Pacheco, Rada... writings are ten steps above Silver's. If you want to pick an english master, Joseph Swetnam's writings are also much better than Silver's.

Some of these men taught fencing to kings and traveled through many countries to learn and check his fencing against other styles.

So what? I've done sparring while eating chicken thighs. It's very easy when your opponents are beginners. I would never do something as stupid against decent fencers.

Are there any clips of u out there so I can get an idea where you are coming from
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan