An essay on IMA, part 3: Chigong

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Postby KEND on Tue May 31, 2016 4:48 am

As an introduction a brief discourse on Chigong.
The cultivation of energy goes back to the beginning of human history,
the early sun worshippers and pantheists were well aware of the invisible energies around them. Later shamans used a range of energy techniques including visualization, energy projection and altered states of consciousness for healing both physically and psychologically, for divination and maintaining a world view that contained earth spirits and other entities.
Chigong , broadly defined in Chinese as ‘Energy work’ originated as shamanic or folk healing techniques, Taoist techniques such as the Five Animal Play date back to the Han Dynasty [206 BCE to 220 CE]. Chigong in China was generally classified as Medical, Martial or Spiritual. Medical and Martial parallel each other, similar techniques being used for healing and martial purposes. Spiritual Chigong added Buddhist and Taoist meditation and ritual, the purpose being to achieve enlightenment through connecting with the universal energy field, these practices are often indistinguishable from religious ones.
In the following the term ‘Energy Work’ will be used in lieu of Chigong. The Body Energy Field, sometimes called the biofield, is largely composed of very low level electromagnetic fields, together with other emissions such as infra red, ultra violet & etc. The magnetic field is primarily result of blood flow, where small amounts of paramagnetic materials in the blood are circulated around the body. The electric field is created by the interplay of fluids in the cellular structure of the cells. The body fields interact with external magnetic and electric fields such as artificial fields from electric equipment, the earth’s magnetic field and electrically charged particles from space. In classical Energy Work the body is considered to have three approximately spherical energy fields [Tan Tiens], located in the abdominal, chest and skull cavities, contained within the respective membranes. The lower energy field is mostly concerned with converting and distributing energy from nutrition, the middle energy field with intake and distribution of oxygen for body processes through blood circulation, while the upper energy field interacts with the nervous system to control the above processes and others such as the immune system.
In using body energy and possibly energy ‘borrowed’ from our surrounding fields and focusing our intention it appears that we can create a projected electromagnetic field which can modify another body field. A tentative theory, suggests that various layers of fascia, muscle and membrane each create separate fields which are shaped and amplified by contracting and releasing the layers, the wave being modulated by lower frequencies, conveyed through the bones and projected to the outside. The frequency of physical vibration can be varied using the nervous system to ‘tune’ into the frequency. With regard to the recipient of the travelling wave there is a body of research that suggests that the organs and bones resonate at specific frequencies and illness is created by imbalances in energy and frequency. This idea has been used to accelerate healing by attaching electrodes to various parts of the body and injecting low intensity current at a predetermined frequency into the body. Note that these are hypotheses based very often on subjective experience and more research would have to be done to confirm them. The energy in the projected wave is very small and as such is associated with healing rather than martial use.
The martial aspect comes from creating a shock wave by synchronized movement of groups of internal muscles. This wave is conveyed to the hand through muscles, isometrically contracted to provide a clear path to the extremity. The hand or fist shape and the shape of the receiving surface will determine the shape of the entering wave, the ‘intent’ will determine where the wave is focused, and the internal muscles will determine the direction of the wave. As was outlined in previous essays the cultivation of the ‘microcosmic orbit’ can lead to an overriding of the parasympathetic nervous system creating a ‘mind intent’ focus for the wave.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: An essay on IMA, part 3: Chigong

Postby Bill on Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Ken
You posted...The Body Energy Field, sometimes called the biofield, is largely composed of very low level electromagnetic fields, together with other emissions such as infra red, ultra violet & etc.

Maybe, but how is it that I can feel a biofield but I cannot feel a strong magnetic field? A strong magnet does not give off a 'chi' feeling when you pass your hand over it. In fact it gives no feel at all.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Tue May 31, 2016 7:02 pm

it does if you have another magnet in your hand
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 pm

I tell people to try this for a month!
1. Relax body from head to toe with hands at sides (for about 3-5 min)
2. Raise hands slowly to qihai then open/close for 5-10 minutes
INitially open to body width then narrow as you feel comfortable. Similar to learning qigong or taijiquan with larger circles but as you become familiar with movements, narrow the circles
3. What is that sensation that you feel between the hands, texture, electrical, taffy apple like etc Play with it for awhile (the qi, that is) ;D
4. Go from there.
5. Be sure to do some level and type of shougong when completed for about 10-15 minutes
6. Relax (Be sure to swallow built up salive and imagine going into lower navel (qihai) and cooling the body!)
7. Walk around
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:52 am

Bill wrote:Ken
You posted...The Body Energy Field, sometimes called the biofield, is largely composed of very low level electromagnetic fields, together with other emissions such as infra red, ultra violet & etc.

Maybe, but how is it that I can feel a biofield but I cannot feel a strong magnetic field? A strong magnet does not give off a 'chi' feeling when you pass your hand over it. In fact it gives no feel at all.

This is all nonsense. There is no biofield (and if you feel it then your mind is creating it). The body is not largely composed of EM fields, it is mostly composed of water. The body does not emit ultra violet radiation, and it is not sensitive to magnetic fields.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Bill on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Ron

Of course it's nonsense. Anyone who is logical and scientific would agree. As I did until I began practicing a good nui-gong. Then my view of the world changed for good. But only after I experienced it myself.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Well Bill, I've been practicing IMA and Qigong for over 50 years and have yet to feel anything that I can't explain by science and logic.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:04 pm

while I dont agree with the op essay

this outlines some studies done on it.

Can we measure Qi? Scientists have attempted to measure bioenergy or Qi, with varying success, using many different types of meters and instruments. Most promising have been the studies using voltmeters and magnetometers to measure the electrical and magnetic fields surrounding energy healers and Qigong practitioners. In Japan, Seto and colleagues (1992; 1996) recorded extremely large magnetic fields adjacent to the heads, bodies and hands of Qigong practitioners during breathing meditations and during external Qi emission.

Elmer Green and colleagues (1991) recorded surges in the electrostatic potential (“body-potential”) of healers during distant healing sessions at the Menninger Clinic in Kansas. In my laboratory in Terre Haute, Indiana, we have observed a distinct magnetic field waveform – a symmetrical chirp wave (0 ̶ 40Hz) – which appears with high frequency during energy healing sessions.

http://www.indiana.edu/~brain/measuring ... n-tai-chi/

In June, 2006, my student Danny LaPlante and I recorded magnetic field activity in several Tai Chi classrooms during Dr. Paul Lam’s 1-week workshop in West Terre Haute, Indiana. Most interestingly, we observed the ‘chirp wave’ (described above) in each of the classes we recorded, including the advanced Sun 73 form, the Sword form, and the Fan form (Figure 1).

Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Bill wrote:Ron

Of course it's nonsense. Anyone who is logical and scientific would agree. As I did until I began practicing a good nui-gong. Then my view of the world changed for good. But only after I experienced it myself.

no I dont think they would agree as most would think...
What they would and do, is to note, observe and find explanations for things..

regarding "qi" there are many on going studies by people with
phd level degrees in various scientific disciplines

But only after I experienced it myself

for a mind not to be able to consider things beyond itself
seems rather limited.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bill on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Well, Ron

After 4 months of nui-gong I was at work and a co-worker came in with her arm in a cast from elbow to wrist. I asked her to place her arm on the counter and then I passed my hand, palm down, over her cast arm. At one point I could feel a pencil thick stream of cold air coming out of her cast covered arm. Pointing to the spot I told her that this is where you broke your arm. She was shocked and surprised and told me that that was exactly where she broke her arm. After that I had her turn around and close her eyes while I tried moving energy around inside her head. After a brief time she shouted for me to stop and that it felt to weird to her, like water moving around inside her skull. This was back in 1974.
Last edited by Bill on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 pm

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:14 pm

The field is in its infancy. I ws skeptical about projected 'Chi' until I could do it myself, I even studied hypnotism to find the extent to which it is affected by suggestion. There have been studies in the West but they are not widely publicized [most studies were in China where the [protocols are somewhat looser] The human body has the capacity to sense magnetic fields[similar to birds] but seems to have lost the ability to do it. Anybody interested in researching the phenomena suggest starting with Beckers books: Cross Currents[1990] and Chinese Medical Qigong by Liu Tianjun and Kevin Chen, also Roger Jahnke had some publications of interest.
Thanks for info on bees, it sounds like they electrostatically charge their hairs, the animal kingdom is full of creatures using magnetic and electric fields to navigate, self heal or protect themselves
We have several neuroscientists on the site, would be interested in their input
KEND
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 am

May be related to the discussion above. There are other articles on this out there as well, I just browsed for one and grabbed it so I apologize if it is not the best of the bunch:

https://www.sott.net/article/234783-The-Truth-About-Hair-and-Why-Indians-Would-Keep-Their-Hair-Long
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:08 am

Bill wrote:Well, Ron

After 4 months of nui-gong I was at work and a co-worker came in with her arm in a cast from elbow to wrist. I asked her to place her arm on the counter and then I passed my hand, palm down, over her cast arm. At one point I could feel a pencil thick stream of cold air coming out of her cast covered arm. Pointing to the spot I told her that this is where you broke your arm. She was shocked and surprised and told me that that was exactly where she broke her arm. After that I had her turn around and close her eyes while I tried moving energy around inside her head. After a brief time she shouted for me to stop and that it felt to weird to her, like water moving around inside her skull. This was back in 1974.

You missed your calling Bill - you should have been an orthopedist, you wouldn't even need x-rays to make your diagnosis.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 am

KEND wrote:The field is in its infancy. I ws skeptical about projected 'Chi' until I could do it myself, I even studied hypnotism to find the extent to which it is affected by suggestion. There have been studies in the West but they are not widely publicized [most studies were in China where the [protocols are somewhat looser] The human body has the capacity to sense magnetic fields[similar to birds] but seems to have lost the ability to do it. Anybody interested in researching the phenomena suggest starting with Beckers books: Cross Currents[1990] and Chinese Medical Qigong by Liu Tianjun and Kevin Chen, also Roger Jahnke had some publications of interest.
Thanks for info on bees, it sounds like they electrostatically charge their hairs, the animal kingdom is full of creatures using magnetic and electric fields to navigate, self heal or protect themselves
We have several neuroscientists on the site, would be interested in their input

We are not bees, birds, or electric eels. These species took hundreds of millions of years of natural selection to specifically develop these abilities for survival. We have not evolved along the same lines as insects, birds or fish, so we have not developed these abilities. Our species developed a sophisticated brain for survival (but unfortunately, many don't use it).
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan