Fight with Tai Chi? What does it FEELS like?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Fight with Tai Chi? What does it FEELS like?

Postby middleway on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 am

Middleway had a good input. Though I find focusing on power detrimental to the tai chi mind set. The only two times that I have really hurt someone, I never thought about it or planned to. And for me it felt like nothing. If you feel, or try to feel strength or power, it means that the strength/power get stuck in your own body. Power is an expression felt on your opponent. The focus should still be on calmness and balance. I like the word "emptiness", but I know this word means little for many. Trying to feel powerful is, imho, going the wrong way. If you need it, it will be there. The hardest part I think, is to put confidence in what really represents tai chi and most IMA. People usually try to take short cuts and keep adding things from other styles to compensate their lack of confidence and "faith". But, imho, these are the most important things to make it work.

I agree with you, but i think it was a misreading there on your part. My comment on power should not be looked at like someone doing deadlifts or a boxer perfecting there shovel hook. more along the likes of the below:

That's how I took middleway's comment as the power was retained, not that it was focused on. The power is there to be used, to whatever degree is necessary. Not that your goal is to emit as much pain as you can on someone. The impression I got from middleway is Chen Yuen San, through calmness, was able to access much power, if needed.

Bare in mind that i was on the receiving end here not the person doing the expression. I must say that when power was expressed it was frightening but didnt look like Alex was particularly doing ... anything. I ended the demonstration shaky but uninjured.

I was not commenting that 'power' in the normal sense should be the focus of Taiji, far from it.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: Fight with Tai Chi? What does it FEELS like?

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:47 am

Ok, thanks for the input. I understand you better now. Good thoughts. 8-)
... I just think it's good to point out things clearly as this is an open forum.

And I wrote another post on Fajing inspired by this discussion. I won't promote it more though. ...I step on too many toes... :-X ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan