Rotations in movement

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Rotations in movement

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:53 pm

Bodywork wrote:As I stated earlier there simply is no mechanical defense to lateral loss. Followers don't know any better, and because it is so hard to retrain; knees, hips, elbows and shoulders, much less CREATE a hara, (dantian) people settle for less or follow those with an easier- even flawed movement. Mostly because it gives them some power, they decide ... That's good enough-hell some even think they have arrived.
Rotations in the human form have to have two components; rotation and vertical translation to have true stability and in order to be balanced. This achieves a dynamic, central equilibrium.
These rotations are exact and difficult to do as the tightness in the hips and knees will pull you out of line (the OP's videos show this regularly). This is one of the main reasons that the loosening of the joints is so often mentioned in the arts. An increased range of motion of tendon/muscle/fascia chaining -done in the appropriate directions- produces a pronounced; mass x acceleration. and this is not acheived in normal athletes.

+1

Jinbao is a real stickler for this very thing, especially in the legs.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby aiasthewall on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:15 pm

Bodywork wrote:
aiasthewall wrote:
willie wrote:ah, the intentional, correct, wobble at 1.30....
Someone's not only missed the point, but missed the entire season.

Graham asked a sincere question, why don't you give a sincere answer, instead of a supercilious one?

Great.
Here's my answer to Graham's question.
No. You don't understand what you are seeing.

When does he answer ANY of mine and others? :-\
So far?
No one has explained anything of benefit to rotating knees. I think it's obvious as to why. They haven't a clue.
So....
More answers with..."My style does this. Here's a teachers doing that."
Hiding behind terminology , teachers, styles and videos because they have no real answers.
But there is even more to have to defend explain after that when we work our way up.

I totally agree. I just thought that Willie was doing the "well you don't know the secret and I do thing, but I won't divulge it" act. But I was mistaken. But yes I agree, and that's why I was asking Yugen what mechanically was going on for my own edification. I was myself attempting to further the conversation without resorting to he or she does this or that, but understand why exactly those things might be done.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby willie on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:33 pm

aiasthewall wrote:
Bodywork wrote:
No one has explained anything of benefit to rotating knees. I think it's obvious as to why. They haven't a clue.
So....
quote]

I totally agree. I just thought that Willie was doing the "well you don't know the secret and I do thing, but I won't divulge it" act. But I was mistaken .

your not really mistaking. I was showing video's on how to do advanced taiji, but I was met with drama so forget it.
as far as Dan goes I don't even know if he has it. I know he has something but this stuff, no.
willie

Postby Bodywork on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:36 pm

Aiasthewall, here's an old thread with some more info about hips and pelvis https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... da#p415094

But understand that because of the mental aspect they dubbed the 'Xindi' (ground-mind) that there isn't really any written information about Dang Jin (pelvis & hip power). And it's also the reason why my teacher told me/ us to not write about. It should only be explained 1 on 1 in person, it needs to be strictly oral and hands-on teaching.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:46 pm

GrahamB wrote:I just wondered, look at that this clip of CXW doing fain at 1.30 where he's talking about groin force and watch what happens with the knees. Given that, I'd ask just one question: do you think that it's possible that there are aspects of internal strength that the people posting here about "lateral knee loss" are unaware of?

It's at 1.30 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Holnh-VEysA

Hi Graham!

Sorry but I'm really not comfortable commenting on my betters from the comfort of a hostel sofa - especially styles I don't practice. I haven't even done any training yet today and here I am chilling with a beer. What can I say, I spent 12 hours on buses today :)

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:09 am

mrtoes wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I just wondered, look at that this clip of CXW doing fain at 1.30 where he's talking about groin force and watch what happens with the knees. Given that, I'd ask just one question: do you think that it's possible that there are aspects of internal strength that the people posting here about "lateral knee loss" are unaware of?

It's at 1.30 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Holnh-VEysA

Hi Graham!

Sorry but I'm really not comfortable commenting on my betters from the comfort of a hostel sofa - especially styles I don't practice. I haven't even done any training yet today and here I am chilling with a beer. What can I say, I spent 12 hours on buses today :)

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

12 hours on a bus sounds rough! I understand the pressures of life and RSF ;) However, I didn't want you to comment on the video, just wondered if you had considered if there was something.... missing.... in the understanding of people who talk about lateral knee loss, when experts, like CXW and others seem to exhibit exactly that 'fault'.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot. But it makes you wonder if lateral knee movement is really a 'fault', doesn't it? In fact, you'd expect a rational person to think... "Hang on, is there something here that I don't have a clue about?".

What is happening is actually quite obvious when you're shown, but the 'answer' is on a private forum, Cando 6H, and if you want to find out you should go and have a look there. In fact, I'd say that if you understand reeling silk and internal strength the answer is quite obvious anyway. There's even a video explaining it. Video is by far the easiest method of getting your point across in movement based arts. But each to their own.

Enjoy the rest of the trip and try to stay off busses for a few days ;)

best,
Graham
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:07 am

Haha! Thanks Graham but I'm super comfortable doing what I'm doing :)

"Missing" is a loaded term. Let me answer you this way.

I believe there are many paths, each has their pluses and minuses depending on who you are and what you want to achieve. There are many ways to connect up the body to achieve a given end. The way I see CXW move is not the same as many other tai-chi guys whose movement I prefer and would rather seek to learn from. I'm rarely comfortable saying that is absolutely better or worse than the other, that is up to the individual and their respective training goals to decide. There are some things which are absolute - I would certainly regard knee alignment as one of those - but I have nothing more to say about that really.

In terms of internal power development, after over a decade of looking around I feel for me personally what I train is not only the most efficient way for me to develop the connection and power that I want for my particular ends but also greatly enhances my overall quality of life. Once I'm back I'll probably have a look around for martial outlets (I've had an urge to do some grappling for the last few months, I need to get back on the weapons as I've forgotten everything, I really need to hit things again (especially post-Brexit), be good to do a little push hands again, catch up with a few guys and lastly I'd like to learn a short tai-chi form) but in terms of internal development this is it for me. I don't have the brains or the dedication to follow multiple paths - plus some things are simply incompatible and doing them all together will mess you up.

I couldn't care less about "Dan and Mike" by the way (I wish they'd both shut up about each other - hi guys) but since you directly reference his forum I will say straight up that I've watched every public video of Mike and I really don't want to move that way. I'm (honestly!) very glad it works for you and others but it's not for me. I know... exactly how I want to move.

Thanks,

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:20 am

That's ok Matthew - good luck with your martial adventures.

best,
Graham
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby fangjian on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Bodywork wrote:You really need to ask your own body simple questions. If I fire this? Where does the force go?
If something is rotated, what happens?
LCD said something to me about teaching aiki people in Japan that I thought was Brilliant. He would ask them.
"All this talk about aiki. Where is yin? Where is yang. How then can there BE...aiki?
You cannot pretend Dantian. You will be found out.'

So....
Ask it of yourself.
If A knee bow fires?
If hips rotate?
Where do those forces go?
What are they doing?
Answering those questions can be challenging.

The Physicist Richard Feynman was asked; "If, in some cataclysm, all of scientific knowledge were to be destroyed, and only one sentence passed on to the next generation of creatures, what statement would contain the most information in the fewest words? I believe it is the atomic hypothesis that all things are made of atoms — little particles that move around in perpetual motion, attracting each other when they are a little distance apart, but repelling upon being squeezed into one another. In that one sentence, you will see, there is an enormous amount of information about the world, if just a little imagination and thinking are applied."

Analogously, if all Internal Power knowledge were to be destroyed and only one sentence could be passed on, somewhere in that sentence, I hope it would say, "Where are the forces going?" Very very challenging, but insightful question.
fangjian
Santi

Postby richardg6 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Can't stand 6h watched all their stuff argued with the big dog. Thanks for the CK vid. This can only be accomplished with a strong form foundation. Let those who abandon form beware.
richardg6
Santi

Postby richardg6 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:09 pm

If I generate or receive force I can dispel and/or redirect that force at a speed and level that I choose. I am a big battery receiving, storing and releasing energy as needed. If I look inside its like a kalideascope of spiraling circles and colors.

Four hours in the park today, form and tui sho.
richardg6
Santi

Postby richardg6 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Also thanks for the Wu-style Taiji Grand master Gao Zhuangfei video. I am always looking for places to improve my structure. The "scoop" here was groked.
richardg6
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan