The psychology behind student resistance and challenges

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The psychology behind student resistance and challenges

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Thank you for sharing Serena. I am usually not a fan of such shows and movies and though I know of this particular one of course, I never bothered to watch it. However the dialogue in the link above, if indeed from the show, is quite refreshing for television. Great stuff. Far better than all the reality trash of our time. Funny how they manage to convey such good ideas and messages, and then slightly ruin the experience with "the secrets" and the "annual contract"... American TV after all ;D Also, although the attempt is positive, I am not sure whether Mencius was a proponent of training in the martial arts. Most likely, to the contrary.
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby richardg6 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:31 pm

"Israelis are an unruly breed and require harsher methods for their own good."

Well that did it for me. Jonathan go home, learn the oral tradtion and do good deeds.
Time to get right sized.
Regards
richardg6
Santi

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:33 pm

You kidding me Richard? I am also an Israeli, born and raised! My criticism of Israelis is what the Israelis commonly say of themselves ;D We have a nation full of people who are unruly, rude, get in other people's business, don't know their limits, lack discipline, etc. These are issues being discussed as a national problem by the people who actually live here. Also agreed is that people get to become that way often because they were 'spared the rod' when they were younger. Not in the sense of actually beating up children, but simply placing rules and limitations and being more strict with them (at home mostly). I have actual adults coming to my classes asking me to be tough on them. They know what they're talking about. They know they were not set straight enough earlier in life, and that they need some pushing to get themselves going. Some of them also acquired that habit of being dependent on authority figures for motivation during their military service. Many people here are like that. I for one do not enjoy playing the disciplinary authority figure, but I do when I must for beginner students. Then I make an attempt to slowly convert them into more independent students who can work on their own, get themselves training at home, and require less attention and eventually little supervision. Some people come at my door already like that, others take years to develop that sort of mindset in training.

This is partly why I have written a book for my students. This book conveys, between the lines, much of the mindset expected of them. A lot of beginners truly and honestly cannot tell the difference between a teacher of the martial arts and an army officer in terms of mentality. The book helps them put into context what a traditional teacher means. I do of course tell them that verbally as well, but I cannot repeat the same lectures about Chinese traditional culture every class for years...
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan