Experience with heavy hands weighted walking

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Experience with heavy hands weighted walking

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Does anyone here have experience with heavy hands weighted walking?

I learned something very similar using fairly light weights from one of my Taoist teachers and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this training modality?
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Experience with heavy hands weighted walking

Postby dspyrido on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Walking or training? Think ba gua circle walking with weights in each hand. Or in xinyi holding a shot put ball in each hand. Or using weighted gloves while doing forms. Or even doing heavy pole or the weighted sand bag.

IMO it's advanced level to use weights and should be done when things are done right with many repetitions being easy to do because the weight causes small perturbations. Start light and evolve.

I'm guessing with walking it should be an easier place to apply weight than in forms or drills.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby eshan on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:48 am

Hi,

I have done it in Xinyi Liuhe, both hands and feet.
Though it depends on how much you consider "heavy"?
In my opinion you can take it as far as you want as long as you keep proper structure.
For me that was 5kg. each foot and 3kg. each hand.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Peacedog wrote:Does anyone here have experience with heavy hands weighted walking?

I learned something very similar using fairly light weights from one of my Taoist teachers and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this training modality?
eshan
Santi

Postby Bodywork on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:12 pm

The form I originally learned used a pair of 2-3 pound hand weights. This was employed in a walking form where the right hand and left foot swung forward at the same time and vice versa. This utilized a kind of sliding step to minimize impact on the knee. My teacher also ran the orbit while doing this.

Supposedly this was a way for a man armed with a straight sword, or spear, in one hand and a light shield in the other to cover long distances with little effort. I can validate this is a very efficient manner in which to cover distance on foot over level terrain.

The weights rise to a height of approximately the third eye point and have a beneficial effect on vision as well. Your eye line switches between the weights in front of you and the horizon as you do it. It also results in your being hyper aware of the environment around you in an interesting way. Very effective at throwing the yi forward.

This created a very strong cross body connection from the fingertips to the toes. Over time it also resulted in some pretty impressive fasciae development as well.

Until I read Dr. Leonard Schwartz' book entitled Heavy Hands it had never occurred to me to do this with relatively heavy weights. Dr. Schwartz recommended working up to 20% of body weight (with 10% in each hand).

Interestingly according to Dr. Schwartz research the heavy version of this results in some pretty impressive improvements in VO2max among participants. Dr. Schwartz personally maintained, a tested, VO2max of 80 into his 70's before dying of lymphoma at 84. And this was after being a two pack a day smoker for 25 years. The book is out of print, but used copies are available via Amazon at reasonable prices and are well worth the read.

I've worked up to a whopping 5 pounds in each hand over the last month for a duration of 30 minutes. Frankly it is great cardio and very low impact. I'll post some progress reports over the next few months as I expand upon this.

And thanks for all of the input everyone.
Last edited by Peacedog on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:58 am

Peacedog wrote:The form I originally learned used a pair of 2-3 pound hand weights. This was employed in a walking form where the right hand and left foot swung forward at the same time and vice versa. This utilized a kind of sliding step to minimize impact on the knee. My teacher also ran the orbit while doing this.

Supposedly this was a way for a man armed with a straight sword, or spear, in one hand and a light shield in the other to cover long distances with little effort. I can validate this is a very efficient manner in which to cover distance on foot over level terrain.

The weights rise to a height of approximately the third eye point and have a beneficial effect on vision as well. Your eye line switches between the weights in front of you and the horizon as you do it. It also results in your being hyper aware of the environment around you in an interesting way. Very effective at throwing the yi forward.

This created a very strong cross body connection from the fingertips to the toes. Over time it also resulted in some pretty impressive fasciae development as well.

Until I read Dr. Leonard Schwartz' book entitled Heavy Hands it had never occurred to me to do this with relatively heavy weights. Dr. Schwartz recommended working up to 20% of body weight (with 10% in each hand).

Interestingly according to Dr. Schwartz research the heavy version of this results in some pretty impressive improvements in VO2max among participants. Dr. Schwartz personally maintained, a tested, VO2max of 80 into his 70's before dying of lymphoma at 84. And this was after being a two pack a day smoker for 25 years. The book is out of print, but used copies are available via Amazon at reasonable prices and are well worth the read.

I've worked up to a whopping 5 pounds in each hand over the last month for a duration of 30 minutes. Frankly it is great cardio and very low impact. I'll post some progress reports over the next few months as I expand upon this.

And thanks for all of the input everyone.

Interesting :)
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:34 pm

in for updates
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Serena on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:21 pm

`
Last edited by Serena on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Serena
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:08 pm

It's not weather you use weights or don't
It's how you use them and how you increase the load
I have seen people really stuff up their training by in correct weight training
But most didn't have good form to start with and that only built on bad foundations
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Serena on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:56 pm

`
Last edited by Serena on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Serena
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Not once have I bashed tai chi
It is an art I have practiced daily since 1973
I am one of the few people who practices the entire yang system
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Strange on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Wayne,
i hate to have to break it to you
i think Serena is trying to tell you that you are now in the "Out" Club... like me
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Last edited by willie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:52 pm

One statement about one style no quite bashing
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Serena on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:04 pm

`
Last edited by Serena on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Serena
Mingjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan