What is RSF?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Why are you here?

To learn and discuss martial arts from a competition perspective
8%
To learn and discuss martial arts from a self-defense perspective
23%
To learn and discuss martial arts from a health/cultural/historical perspective
15%
To meet and interact with interesting people with similar interests
28%
To find a new teacher to train with in Real Life
No votes
To market your school
No votes
To advertise for your teacher
3%
To entertain at times when training is not convenient
16%
To share what you do or to critique others' practice
3%
Other (please specify in the comments)
1%

Total votes : 60

What is RSF?

Postby chimerical tortoise on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Warning: glorified navel gazing ahead.

So a little reading had me thinking, and in the spirit of learning a new style I've gone back to one section of the board's FAQ. Hope this is not heretical but here it goes:

FAQ04: What attitude should I have on RSF?
1. Whether you agree or disagree with someone, never get into personal attack.
2. Keep a light mood, don't get too serious, and don't try to be a smartass if you're a n00b. Meet the people, search around before making judgements, and you'll blend in.
3. Don't try to come here expecting everyone to kiss your ass, or trying to show us the errors of our ways and the perfection of yours.
4. Think of RSF as a bar, a club where members are having a few drinks and discussing topics and joking around. Think of the admins and mods as bouncers that drink with you, even do a little dance but will not hesitate to grab you by the neck and kick you out if you don't follow the rules.

Probably not alone here, but I'd be the first to admit having violated 2 and the latter part of 3 every once in awhile... by seniority and by common sense I don't expect anybody here to kiss my ass, I had a curry last night and the porcelain goddess is full. ;D

Despite our periodic online monthlies I do get a lot out of reading and contributing what little I have to add - which is to say, usually not much given the esteemed and accomplished characters I've met here - like many others here I lurked a long time before signing up to post. Lately I feel that there has been a bit of a shift in the board and came to the realisation that over the past few years a lot of experienced, even if argumentative, members whose opinions I really love reading no longer post.

... which brings me to the proverbial bar to drink my sorrows away! But before we all say HTFU and all I'd just like to indulge in a bit of navel gazing.

I first signed up to RSF because I wanted to learn and communicate and have always thought of it like a pub. Sometimes seedy, sometimes someone knocks down a glass or two, and in general I have this mental image of most of our members' vibes as something like this:

But lately I've begun to wonder how other people feel about being here?

I think it's safe to say that from a gongfu sense we should all be playing outside, and that RSF is a little bit like Pokemon Go in that respect. So once you move on from describing the silly dancing that we all love, I'm curious as to why we come here?

One love, Idrin... Jah Ras Tafari!
-joint-
Last edited by chimerical tortoise on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Re: What is RSF?

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:53 am

chimerical tortoise wrote:Jah Ras Tafari!

Googled that and got this awesomeness: http://www.jah-rastafari.com

...as to why we come here?

Why anyone comes to any internet forum... for enlightenment, of course. All hail St Sooty!! -bow-
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:37 am

Dmitri wrote:Why anyone comes to any internet forum... for enlightenment, of course.

On this forum it seems like that at least half of the active members come here to promote their own school or their teacher. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:04 am

;D
Ian

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:16 am

I come to this forum to find people who are interesting in "fighting". I would like to exchange ideas with them in the area of "combat strategies".

- How to enter, and
- how to finish

are the only subjects that I'm interested at this point of my life.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 am

johnwang wrote:

I come to this forum to find people who are interesting in "fighting". I would like to exchange ideas with them in the area of "combat strategies".

- How to enter, and
- how to finish

I think you may have arrived at the wrong place then. There are some that are interested in fighting here, but it does not seem to be high on the priority list for most from what I have seen over the last 12 years or so.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby bartekb on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

I am... wrote:I think you may have arrived at the wrong place then.

I am affraid you are righ but I do hope it wont encourage people interested in application/fighting from posting.
there are many gems that one can find in historical martial arts which were a bit forgotten elswhere, although I visit this forum to exclusivelly read opinions of 3 people and try to follow advice of one - it would be hard for me to find this info elswhere. The fact that the majority of this forum is not interested in fighting does not mean internal arts shouldnt be about fighting.
Beeing in majority doesnt make one right.
The information mr Wang shares is like finding gold coins in the puddle of mud.
Last edited by bartekb on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 am

johnwang wrote:

- How to enter, and
- how to finish

Are you speaking of internal or external - How to enter, and - how to finish? :)

Some people don't like to talk about techniques that are developed without "internal" training methods.

Some (including Bruce Lee — Movie Actor :D ) believe fighting is fighting and don't believe in styles (e.g., chinese, japanese, internal, external, etc.) as they become limiting, while others disagree.

Published on Apr 28, 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFCrMAGwuMQ
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:14 pm

bartekb wrote:
I am... wrote:I think you may have arrived at the wrong place then.

I am affraid you are righ but I do hope it wont encourage people interested in application/fighting from posting.
there are many gems that one can find in historical martial arts which were a bit forgotten elswhere, although I visit this forum to exclusivelly read opinions of 3 people and try to follow advice of one - it would be hard for me to find this info elswhere. The fact that the majority of this forum is not interested in fighting does not mean internal arts shouldnt be about fighting.
Beeing in majority doesnt make one right.
The information mr Wang shares is like finding gold coins in the puddle of mud.

More like dirt clods in a puddle of mud.

Listen to He Jing Han's explanation for studying cima in the flying monk interview Alex Kozma posted. It's in the last third of the second part of the interview.

This is an ima forum and John Wang does not believe there is such a thing as ima. Apparently either do you.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:47 pm

What is RSF?

Rum soaked fist.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby bartekb on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:04 pm

It's in the last third of the second part of the interview.

I really hope the interview has parts where he does solo forms really slow in the park,
John Wang does not believe there is such a thing as ima. Apparently either do you.

You might be shocked how many people considered masters of ima share the same view.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:13 pm

bartekb wrote:
It's in the last third of the second part of the interview.

I really hope the interview has parts where he does solo forms really slow in the park,
John Wang does not believe there is such a thing as ima. Apparently either do you.

You might be shocked how many people considered masters of ima share the same view.

I wouldn't be shocked. I've met them and most are paper tigers. The same is true with most black belts, too. I know at least 10 black belts under 14 years old. They must be really good.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby chimerical tortoise on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far, rather enlightening to read.

Dmitri wrote:Googled that and got this awesomeness: http://www.jah-rastafari.com

Have you checked the forum? Interesting reasoning to say the least...

A few months back I got a Rastaman really upset when I asked him about Selassie being buried under a toilet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Sel ... _interment

...and felt really bad about it afterwards because I was very irreverent about something he believed in very strongly. While I do find some stuff a little suspect (e.g. serious homophobia despite preaching one love, very specific prophecies) the fundamentals are strong:

Bao wrote:On this forum it seems like that at least half of the active members come here to promote their own school or their teacher. :P

Interesting, although the data so far does not seem to support this assertion. That doesn't make it false though, there are plenty of other reasons why that could be.

You know how some drinking spots have those beer girls (not bar staff) wandering around scantily clad and selling different beers? If RSF is a metaphorical pub... titties... erm I mean, we all know that my preferred beer is the bestest, kthxbye! ;D

johnwang wrote:I come to this forum to find people who are interesting in "fighting". I would like to exchange ideas with them in the area of "combat strategies".

- How to enter, and
- how to finish

Very curious - how often have you found someone here with a different opinion on "fighting" or preferred "combat strategies"? How often are they successful in changing your preference on "fighting" or "combat strategies"?

I am... wrote:I think you may have arrived at the wrong place then. There are some that are interested in fighting here, but it does not seem to be high on the priority list for most from what I have seen over the last 12 years or so.

From your perspective, what sort of priorities are high on the list here? I've tried to list out as many different priorities in the poll but am sure that some things must be missing.

Taste of Death wrote:I wouldn't be shocked. I've met them and most are paper tigers. The same is true with most black belts, too. I know at least 10 black belts under 14 years old. They must be really good.

I wanted a black belt in WTF for awhile. Kind of still do but it's for all the wrong reasons, plus time ruins youthful idealism.

grzegorz wrote:
What is RSF?

Rum soaked fist.

Health and safety just called. I and I want the rum back! It's strictly for internal, not external, use! -toast-
Last edited by chimerical tortoise on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby marvin8 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:01 pm

marvin8 wrote:Are you speaking of internal or external - How to enter, and - how to finish? :)

Tom wrote:
johnwang wrote:
- How to enter, and
- how to finish

I would venture to say that your children are ample evidence you already know how to do this. 8-)

Oh, . . . I guess johnwang was speaking of internal, then. :D
marvin8
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Ian wrote:Image

;D

Hahaha!!! ;D

Yeah - I'm just in it for the trolling whilst I'm waiting for code to compile (when in the UK) or buses to arrive (when in South America!)

No seriously now - it's all about my ego. People need to listen to ME more often and whereas in real life people normally quickly back off and shut the door in my face here you all have to listen to my drivel for at least the time taken to blink and press page-down! Me! Me! Me!

No look - I'm being really serious now - I have no idea why I'm here. Honest to god. I have nothing to say and am not interested in anything anyone says.

Why are you still reading? Go awa---

Oh there's my bus - gotta run! :-*

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan