How Many Xingyi Practitioners?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How Many Xingyi Practitioners?

Postby GrandUltimate on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 pm

I cross train Shanxi Xing yi. Mainly the 5 elements and various animals and occasionally the first linking form I learned. Not as interested in learning any of the other forms except more animals. But it is my second favorite kung fu to cross train after bagua.
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Postby chud on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:09 pm

I went outside during my morning break at work and did the linking form and a line of PiChuan/Metal.
Xingyi is good for that (short forms you can practice on your break, out on the loading dock or wherever).
chud
Great Old One

Postby san5324 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:57 am

I'm wondering how many variations people use when they practice xingyi? My teacher from Hebei taught me 5 different steps for pi for example.
san5324
Santi

Postby Yeung on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:56 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Glad to know that there are others out there. I've really been enjoying the training. I've learned some interesting Gongli exercises that complement what I had previously learned very well. :)

Yes, the partnered form that I've been learning is Wuhuapao. Are there a lot of these short forms? I've also been learning a partnered stick form during the "breaks". What I like about them is that they are like three forms in one and very practical (if one realises their limitations). The Tuishou is something else. One person attacks the balls of the other and they must neutralise and re-direct the attack. It feels very "hard", but the goal is to do it relaxed, with whole-body power.

It seems like there are two main unarmed forms; Wuxing Lianhuan and another whose name I haven't written down yet but has the word advanced (Gaoji) in it. It's really tough to understand Wu Shifu's thick Northern accent!

Gao Ji Lian Huan Chiu 高级连环捶 sounds interesting in addition to Za Shi Chui 杂式捶,can you elaborate a bit on neutralization? Do you mean the normal block, stick, follow, redirect, and retaliate to an incoming strike?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:44 am

I think that a lot of you seem to have the same idea. Zou Shifu also did the same thing. He only learned Wuxingquan. I'm sure that he already had enough animals from Xinyiliuhequan.

I was never satisfied with XYLHQ because I HATED the Caijibu (chicken stepping). It hurt my injured ankle and just wasn't enjoyable at all. I also didn't like the single, short form (Sibachui). I'm finding Xingyiquan to be a lot more enjoyable. It seems that Santishi is only trained several minutes at a time, although Wu Shifu only ever does line drills when I've seen him practising alone (so far). I think it's a great system with an economical approach without overdoing it, but still has a variety of content. In theory, learning the XYQ system shouldn't get in the way of learning how to fight too much, unlike most schools of Taijiquan where they try to get you NOT to fight as long as possible..

I've still yet to decide whether I want to pursue learning a complete system give or take a dozen weapons forms or just take what I like and put it into my own system.. Time will tell...

I'm not sure if that was the name of the "Gaoji" form, but I'll try to write it down one of these days. I recognised MANY of its techniques from XYLHQ, Taijiquan and Baguazhang. And yes, that is what I meant by neutralising.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:21 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I think that a lot of you seem to have the same idea. Zou Shifu also did the same thing. He only learned Wuxingquan. I'm sure that he already had enough animals from Xinyiliuhequan.

I was never satisfied with XYLHQ because I HATED the Caijibu (chicken stepping). It hurt my injured ankle and just wasn't enjoyable at all. I also didn't like the single, short form (Sibachui). I'm finding Xingyiquan to be a lot more enjoyable. It seems that Santishi is only trained several minutes at a time, although Wu Shifu only ever does line drills when I've seen him practising alone (so far). I think it's a great system with an economical approach without overdoing it, but still has a variety of content. In theory, learning the XYQ system shouldn't get in the way of learning how to fight too much, unlike most schools of Taijiquan where they try to get you NOT to fight as long as possible..

I've still yet to decide whether I want to pursue learning a complete system give or take a dozen weapons forms or just take what I like and put it into my own system.. Time will tell...

I'm not sure if that was the name of the "Gaoji" form, but I'll try to write it down one of these days. I recognised MANY of its techniques from XYLHQ, Taijiquan and Baguazhang. And yes, that is what I meant by neutralising.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:56 am

Most practitioners typically learn all of the XYQ forms, but then really go back and focus on the Wuxing material because that is the essence of it. Typically the animals are just variations of the elements in some form or another.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Yeung on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:34 am

It is very good to know that Xingyi people in China are now polishing up the neutralizing techniques.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby taoistfist on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:04 pm

I practice Hsing I Chuan. it is fun to see the similarities and differences in style and try them all out i find.
the night is darkest just before the dawn. and i promise you the dawn is coming.
taoistfist
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Not a Xingyi practitioner per se but I do periodically practice parts of a xingjing? form taught by Zhang Dungsheng. It has been hard to find people to practice as the form is not well known.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Morty on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:51 am

Shanxi (Che), and a little Henan (just 3 elements from there).
The essence is shut the fuck up and train.
Morty
Mingjing

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:14 am

I really like the Xingyi Tuishou that I've been learning. It really helps build Gongli and complements what I've already learned. Also, doing Wuhuapao with the same person I did it with (and fought with) on the first day, less than two weeks ago, today I was surprised at how much more rooted I am. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan