How Many Xingyi Practitioners?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

How Many Xingyi Practitioners?

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:52 am

Although I dabbled in Xinyiliuhequan over the last several years, I was mostly doing some sort of Taiji. Since I have begun learning Xingyiquan in the Guo Yunshen tradition last week I thought that it would be interesting to know how many others are out there!
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: How Many Xingyi Practitioners?

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:45 am

I practice Xingyi, mostly santi sher, 5 elements, and the 5 element linking form as an adjunct to my Taiji practice. I like its expression of energy and the stepping.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 am

I practice Shanxi Xingyiquan, and it's my main style along with Sun Style Baguazhang.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 am

Working on a community database. Please feel free to add to it. Unfortunately had to lock the public editing feature due to recurrent vandalism by silly people from a very specific lineage. So either write some details here or send them to me and I will add them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Me - main art is Song style xyq.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:57 am

Ron Panunto wrote:I practice Xingyi, mostly santi sher, 5 elements, and the 5 element linking form as an adjunct to my Taiji practice. I like its expression of energy and the stepping.

That may be what I end up doing as well, though the partnered forms and Xingyi Tuishou and other foundation exercises all look very interesting. Only time will tell!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:04 am

jonathan.bluestein wrote:Working on a community database. Please feel free to add to it. Unfortunately had to lock the public editing feature due to recurrent vandalism by silly people from a very specific lineage. So either write some details here or send them to me and I will add them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

All that I can tell you is what I know so far of the lineage, which I requested specifically for you to figure out.. ;D

郭云深 (Guo Yunshen)》 刘勇奇(Liu Yongqi) 》 王振邦 (Wang Zhenbang) 》 陈富 》 (Chen Fu) 吴洪谋 (Wu Hongmou - Who is teaching me now)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:14 am

MaartenSFS wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:I practice Xingyi, mostly santi sher, 5 elements, and the 5 element linking form as an adjunct to my Taiji practice. I like its expression of energy and the stepping.

That may be what I end up doing as well, though the partnered forms and Xingyi Tuishou and other foundation exercises all look very interesting. Only time will tell!

I did something similar to Ron. I throwed away all XY and have only kept the Santi shi practice. For keeping leg strength only. I also throwed away my bagua. I still love these arts, but I discovered that my Tai Chi needs freedom, it needs to be free from other things. It's not about technique, it's a thing about mind and mindset.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby san5324 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:48 am

Hebei xinhyi with my teacher who is actually from Hebei. I mostly do stance training and the 3 different 5 elements forms ( my teacher teach us those as the complete jiben gong for xingyi)
san5324
Santi

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 am

Hebei Xingyi, but nowdays i just relaxed go through the five elements and mix in som basic tongbei exercises i like, just what feels good. This is my morning exercise routine, can't practise too "hard" these day's, have a toubled hip joint.
Trick

Postby depth123 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Hebei Xingyi practitioner here.
depth123
Santi

Postby jjy5016 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm learning the Li Gui Chang system from one of his disciples. Technically it's Hebei but Li also studied Shanxi and his xingyi was heavily influenced by taiji.
San ti every day for at least one hour, the five elements and the 4 tu na si ba exercises that Li created. I like it.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:22 pm

My teachers main style is Liu He Men / Ziranmen but he learnt Hebei Xing Yi system to a high level while studying at Beijing Physical University. Whilst in Beijing he become good friends with master He Fu Sheng. Later on he also trained with Liu Jing Ru.

When training Xing Yi I mostly stick to san ti shi, five elements and link forms.
zrm
Huajing

Postby Yeung on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 am

MaartenSFS wrote:

When you said partnered forms do you mean such the Wu Hua Pao 五花炮 for example, and how different is that to Xingyi Tuishou?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Glad to know that there are others out there. I've really been enjoying the training. I've learned some interesting Gongli exercises that complement what I had previously learned very well. :)

Yes, the partnered form that I've been learning is Wuhuapao. Are there a lot of these short forms? I've also been learning a partnered stick form during the "breaks". What I like about them is that they are like three forms in one and very practical (if one realises their limitations). The Tuishou is something else. One person attacks the balls of the other and they must neutralise and re-direct the attack. It feels very "hard", but the goal is to do it relaxed, with whole-body power.

It seems like there are two main unarmed forms; Wuxing Lianhuan and another whose name I haven't written down yet but has the word advanced (Gaoji) in it. It's really tough to understand Wu Shifu's thick Northern accent!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan