Yao Chengguang vs Chengrong teaching methodology

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yao Chengguang vs Chengrong teaching methodology

Postby AnotherMonkey on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:50 am

Hello,
I met a person learning from Yao Chengguang. I wrote messages with people learning from Yao Chengrong, but never met them.
Both said "My teacher developed the Art passed down from his father furthre and made it even more methodoligical".

I am interested in how the curriculum, progressions, teaching style of the Yao brothers differ.

Would be nice if somebody could provide input in this.
AnotherMonkey
Santi

Re: Yao Chengguang vs Chengrong teaching methodology

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Unfortunately I have never met Yao Chengrong, but did have the opportunity to train briefly with Yao Chengguang a couple of years ago. Honestly I would say the differences between the two brothers would probably only be differences of emphasis and the stage at which certain concepts / practices are introduced. After all, they both studied together under their father from a young age.

From talking to Yiquan people down here in Shanghai my impression is that the Yao branch is fairly standardised. The big differences are between the various branches - Yao, Wang Xuanjie, Gao Chen, Han Xingqiao, etc. Then, even the basic stances and requirements can be different.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby onebir on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:14 am

I trained with Chengguang - didn't get far because it turned out I was quite ill - and met Chengrong & observed a class. From what I can remember their movements and training methodologies are very similar, as nicklinjm suggests.
Insanity is repeating a nonsensical definition of insanity, and expecting it to eventually make sense.
onebir
Anjing

Postby AnotherMonkey on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:43 am

Interesting. Thanks a lot for your input.
AnotherMonkey
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan