Did Tai Chi Fail?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Did Tai Chi Fail?

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Steve James wrote: It will depend on the relative skill of the opponents, and luck.

Exactly. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Serena wrote: "What I would most be interested in doing is working with someone who is good at groundfighting at the push hands drill, and studying the methods by which they approach their shoot from the push hands position. I speculate that if you work that into your TCC you should never have to go to the ground.

Jon Jones is not a "tai chi" fighter. However, it shows how a stand up fighter defeated an Olympic wrestler in a sport fight, in real time, managing non-cooperative energies (e.g., preventing wrestler's shoot). The octagon cage does help restrict certain moves, though.

From previous thread, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24927:
GrahamB wrote:Sticking like that can be very useful for negating a grappler that wants to clinch. If you watch this breakdown of Jon Jones vs Cormier you can see Jones using very similar hand fighting to that displayed in the Tai Chi clips to negate Cormier - see around 2.50 mark. Combined with striking, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWfSj5_CuQ

Cormier discusses what went wrong and what he needs to do, next time, to defeat Jon Jones.

Published on Jun 14, 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxJNdD53cI
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:14 am

So now we are using Master Ken and MMA videos and some casual racism to "defend" Tai Chi???
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:47 am

But John Jones is a wrestler
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby ambulocetus on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:02 pm

I don't post much because I tend to learn more with my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. I was always taught that Martial Arts begins and ends with courtesy. I think certain people in this thread need to realize that ones manners reflects back to ones teacher. There is more than one hole in the training of martial arts in the west, but at least one of them can be filled by studying Confucius
MMA makes great fighters; TMA makes great people.
ambulocetus
Santi

Postby RobP3 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:40 am

ambulocetus wrote:I don't post much because I tend to learn more with my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. I was always taught that Martial Arts begins and ends with courtesy. I think certain people in this thread need to realize that ones manners reflects back to ones teacher. There is more than one hole in the training of martial arts in the west, but at least one of them can be filled by studying Confucius

I'm not sure to whom you refer, but courtesy goes both ways. It is right and proper to study all aspects of martial arts, but personally I feel there are enough "western" equivalents to Confucius to fill any gaps. I don't think any culture has the sole ownership on courtesy, good manners, bad manners or anything else
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:39 am

Rabbit wrote:But John Jones is a wrestler

I'am not understanding your comment.

The video shows Jon Jones taking away Cormier’s higher level wrestling game (strengths). Jones has a background in wrestling, too. However, he is able to fight in all ranges.

Serena mentioned push hands drills to deal with a wrestler’s shoot. The video shows Jones dealing with Cormier’s leg shooting. It’s an example in real time with a non-compliant opponent, that’s why I referred to it: At :28, “How to Stop Cormier’s single leg?” Switch to southpaw. “How to Stop Cormier in close range and clinch?” Hand fight. Also, Jones controls the distance by using various attacks (e,g, kicks, punches, elbows, etc.).

It is not tai chi or push hands. However, someone might be creative and create push hand drills that include working on switching lead foot and defending against underhooks and strikes by controlling the hands and controlling distance.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:40 pm

(Note: this is all from a martial perspective.)

There is a lack of access to good TC. IMO the reason for this is because most people in TC are focusing on the wrong place. They seem to like to focus in on what they cannot prove is there. Some even revert to using mind games & peer pressure to talk their way out of why it can or cant work. IMO if after 10 years of practise you can't proove the merit of something against another human being then (martially speaking) it is an absolute waste of time.

The few who I have known that could apply TC practised a shit load of two man drills, chin-na & striking. Some also used weights. They had "kung fu" & the form that they drilled was something they did in parks to continue the training when they were not drilling. These guys could apply what they knew because they:

- Do not try to describe "the chi". Not because they don't know what it is but because they know that it is not the thing to concentrate on. They know the effects good training has on it so it is more important to get on with the training.
- They care about the doing exercises that invigorate a person & that will boost their ability in fighting. They now that it must help from a health perspective so they don't need to talk about it from a mystical perspective.
- When it came to applying what they could do it was always based on awarenes of movement & about having maximised use of the bodyweight, overwhelming power & perfect timing+placement. What they could do they could describe & how it worked.

And they all have crossed trained (granted in cmas) & have tested themselves against others.

The other thing. They all seem to know how to wrestle.

So here is the answer to the whole Jon Jones vs. ground stuff.

Firstly - I know many BJJ'ers at 5 yrs+ levels who are not very good at the real middle ground between striking & the ground. It's called wrestling. They have spent a lot of time on the mat with opponents who are abosulely happy to join them there. The smart BJJ'ers have either cross trained in a throwing/wrestling art or have been lucky enough to train with someone who gets how to throw & wrestle (which is getting more and more rarer). Also if you don't think the chinese had any ground fighting skills then you are mistaken. They do. It's just not a common thing to find but it is there & by this I don't mean guys who can do break dancing moves in forms. I am talking about moves that are the equivalent to modern day sambo take downs & submissions.

Secondly - if you want to keep off the ground then you need to wrestle to practise avoiding being taken down. To anyone who says TC does not contain wrestling moves I suggest you look a lot more closely at the form.

Also to those thinking it's only about push hands I suggest you reflect on the people who when they founded these styles did not care about tradition. None existed. They cared about winning & they drilled to win. Do you think they only did push hands especially when you consider that shua jiouw has been around for thousands of years? Or where they actually well versed in what we would call shua jiow yet they placed a focus on refining it into push hands as a supplementary excercise?

Lastly - if you think you will learn to handle another human's weight based on NOT training with a person who is putting weight on you then you are kidding yourself. The founders of these arts practised against other people & would also use weights (in forms of stone balls & many other contraptions).

If you want to rediscover TC then either find someone who can turn you into a human preztel (ie good TC) or go back to mother of all IMA & explore shuaijiow (or other wrestling/throwing art). You will see it has many similar moves that are being openly trained against other people & exist in the forms. At a minimum it will give focus to the movements of the forms & get the thinking going about what the use of a move is. When you are comfortable with the grappling then add striking & see how that goes.

Along the way you might want to learn how to operate on the ground. You don't have to be an expert of submitting someone from guard or know 1000 ways to wrap a gi around someone but if you know enough then you will be a nightmare for anyone fixated on the ground. Especially when you add good old ground & pound to the striking & take down capability.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Serena on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 am

Sheesh. You americans can never learn Chinese kung fu.
Serena
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 am

Good post Dspyrido, good points.

There is a lack of access to good TC

I would say there's a lack of Interest and hard to get good students.

Just imho.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 am

Bao wrote:Good post Dspyrido, good points.

There is a lack of access to good TC

I would say there's a lack of Interest and hard to get good students.

Just imho.

+1
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 am

Serena wrote:Sheesh. You americans can never learn Chinese kung fu.

Wasn't it originally from India? ;D :P ;)
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:44 am

Serena wrote:Sheesh. You americans can never learn Chinese kung fu.

No, there are some who are very good.
Last edited by willie on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
willie

Postby Activeghost on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:42 am

No one can "learn" gong fu. Its earned, and belongs to you, not someone else. That's the whole point of the concept. Lol.
Activeghost
Santi

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:44 am

trunk, two legs and hands, + head /most important :)/
it`s all what you need to have it .
race or nationality has nothing to do with it
just
your own dreams visualizations -joint-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji