The Art of the Parry, The Art of Taiji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

The Art of the Parry, The Art of Taiji

Postby rojcewiczj on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:42 pm

It seems to me that the ability to parry effectively is the prerequisite for applying many martial art techniques or actions. When I write parry, I mean
to use it in a large sense; including within it movements which are used to "parry" or redirect the opponents pressure in pushing for grappling situations, as well as the
small movement of the hand which may parry a jab. A parry is generally distinguished from a block in that it allows for a continuation of movement or action, rather than
a sudden halt or blocking of movement. Perhaps we could say that the block is the most substantial side of the parry. Evasion is often assisted and made possible through a successful parry, the parry often serving as the more substantial side of the evasion. In this way it could be said that by successful parrying we can balance substantial and empty. It fascinates me that western fencing and boxing make constant use of parrying, although this term is not used to my knowledge within
western wrestling. It seems to me that Taiji Tuishou seeks, within its ideal, to fulfill the principle of a parry even within the context of grappling. This is what I see
in the video below; the wonder of parrying the opponents force even when the distance is negated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUGlkmfyxA

Here we have the same master demonstrating striking applications. Is
the opponents attack not parried or evaded in such a way to lead them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1OOPdkiPs

Why do we seek such complicated and obscure answers to our questions? Years spent
in trying to develop power, more power, less power, internal, external, while when you begin with an error of an inch you end by being a thousand miles off the mark.
Can you cause an error of an inch?
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Re: The Art of the Parry, The Art of Taiji

Postby Patrick on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:43 am

I do not practice Taiji, but I find it pointless to study any IMA when on connection with your opponent nothing happens with your opponents structure.
Otherwise this is no different to any other martial art except people use different stances.
:-X
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Itten on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:37 am

Patrick, in principle I totally agree with you with one caveat. When absolutely nothing happens on contact there is a void moment in hitch the opponent has no feedback and thus no power direction. Falling into emptiness often proceeds a money shot.no resistance no protection, transparent power. This has nothing to do with parrying which is a technical skill that anyone can learn.
I also do not practice Tai Chi, at least not seriously, but I have experienced "1 oz defeats a 1000 lbs" on many occasions.

Alec
Itten
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:59 am

After long years of study I find myself more drawn to harder levels of resistance these days for testing out theories.

What happens on contact is an interesting philosophical discussion but often it remains at that level. When the rubber hits the road I find a lot of these philosophical issues become moot.

I think the ooh-ahh and clapping in the op clip highlights the vast difference in audiences our arts can have. I just can't imagine or have ever seen that reaction in a suaijiao or Kung fu or wrestling or grappling class. Different markets I guess.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby rojcewiczj on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:04 pm

After viewing the replies so far, I would like to point again at the reality which my initial post attempted to bring g to light: namely, that the technical aspect of the "parry" is merely the
immediate form of a more enduring principle. There are actually innumerable ways to parry strikes, shoves, attempts at grabbing and so forth. The technique is variable, in yet the intent which
is required to parry effectively is singular. One does not decide preemptively which way of parrying will be used, but one does set forth with the intent to respond by parrying. The involvement of conscious choice
is apparent in the necessary training that enable one to parry effectively, many parrying movements are not arrived at through natural tendency alone.

In the link below we have an example of parrying in the context of long-sword fencing, along with an illuminating explanation of this techniques higher principle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22WQoznMi4

Is it not apparent that the function of the parry is to effect a sort of stasis over the opponents structure, as their
strength is dissolved, their force turned against them. Instead of arguing for some alternative method which
does not make use of parrying, perhaps we would be better served by doing the work necessary to master the principle of the parry, to
unlock the unlimited application of such a principle.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Postby dspyrido on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Why is the term not found in wrestling? It is but is sometimes called a pat vs a parry. But it's not a move emphasised because....

Parries work off lever-fulcrum-load. Small effort produces a big effect due to the lever (extension). So it makes sense against extended arms as seen in striking arts like boxing.

In wrestling the emphasis is on keeping down elbows down near the chest and tight (same as ima). It is a rookie mistake to keep the body away and reach with arms fully extended. If they do then instead of patting it's like being given a gift for a snap down instead.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan