Refuting Hong Yixiang's expell

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Refuting Hong Yixiang's expell

Postby Overlord on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:17 am

By the time I arrived the Hong brothers had been expelled from the school (I believe that happened around 1963 or 1964). The only contact I had with Hong Yixiang was at a farewell dinner Mrs. Zhang arranged to see me off when I was preparing to leave the island. He was obviously pissed off at the favor shown to me by the Zhang family, but was basically told to shut up and behave by the others present who were friends of mine and the Zhang family: Zhong Fusheng, Liao Wuchang, Gao Daosheng, several of Master Zhang's first and second generation students, some Yi Guandao associates, as well as some native Taiwanese martial artists whose names you would not be familiar with. I believe the purpose of inviting Hong was to let him know in no uncertain terms that I was a part of the school under the Zhangs.

Confirm with Hong's family.
Hong's expell from Zhang's school is not true~
Check with Hong's students and Hong's sons.
Expelling from one's school is one serious claim~
Just to clarify this~ and return honor to the master.

Cheers,
Overlord

Re: Refuting Hong Yixiang's expell

Postby willie on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:43 am

Overlord wrote:

Expelling from one's school is one serious claim~

But I've been expelled over and over again. I take it as a compliment. LOL!
willie

Postby Josealb on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 am

Overlord wrote:Confirm with Hong's family.
Hong's expell from Zhang's school is not true~
Check with Hong's students and Hong's sons

Not to stir the pot or anything, but wouldnt you think that his own family, students, and general holders of his legacy might just be, perhaps, maybe just a little bit, the tiniest bit biased? :-\
Last edited by Josealb on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:31 am

Just so you know, I have created my own school, from which everybody here is automatically expelled, by default. Obviously.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:22 am

One of those teachers that starts everyone with an F, and makes them work for it, eh?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:34 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:38 am

Dan Miller interviewed Mrs. Zhang (and also senior students of Master Zhang) and not only confirmed that Hong had been expelled, he was told in great detail of the events leading up to it. When Dan went to interview the Hong brothers (separately) they also confirmed Hong Yixiang's expulsion from the school. As noted above, I think there might be a bit of bias and desire to "correct" history in the family's version of events. As the principle figures are long gone, as are most of Master Zhang's students, that is not a surprise.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby willie on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 am

GrahamB wrote:Just so you know, I have created my own school, from which everybody here is automatically expelled, by default. Obviously.

and just when I was starting to think that you were good too, Damn it!
willie

Postby Overlord on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Dan Miller interviewed Mrs. Zhang (and also senior students of Master Zhang) and not only confirmed that Hong had been expelled, he was told in great detail of the events leading up to it. When Dan went to interview the Hong brothers (separately) they also confirmed Hong Yixiang's expulsion from the school. As noted above, I think there might be a bit of bias and desire to "correct" history in the family's version of events. As the principle figures are long gone, as are most of Master Zhang's students, that is not a surprise.

Ken,
1, Did you or anyone else such as Dan verify this with master Zhang personally?
2, Did you or anyone else such as Dan verify this with master Hong personally?
3, If Hong was expelled from Zhang's school, why was he even invited to your farewell party? It doesn't make sense if he was no longer part of Yizong school~ and with his English proficiency, I think he be careless about who you are and what you do~
Overlord

Postby yeniseri on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 pm

There are certain topics in CMA circles that are left unsaid and undone ???
That is just the way it is and I realize it is anathema to a 'Western schema' of transparency but the former is its own transparency.
If one sees the formation of things and it gives off that negative aura or other than normal (whether behaviour, attitudeional or way of doing things) just drink the tea and enjoy the freedom of nothingness.

I attempted to ask some questions some years ago about certain Yizong memebrs and the message was clear that each party manuevered adroitly and came back on course, each with their own modus operandi of avoidance ;D Weird, nonetheless. Better to leave good enough alone! Jus' saying
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 am

I guess Yeniseri is right~
I was told just few minutes ago not to clarify on this issues
for very good reasons~

Over
Overlord

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:48 am

I have answered your questions in a PM.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:31 pm

So what was the verdict on the Hong Expulsion?
Rhen

Postby Overlord on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 am

Rhen,

No, it is irrelevant to to the training today~
But, since a master name is tainted by an allegation, it is important to verify the truth~

AFAIK, Hong was in very good terms with Master Zhang in 1967,
he was invited for Baishi ceremony when Su Dongcheng, Luo Dexiu, and the rest of second batch students enrolled in Yizong Tangshoudao.
After that, they were still in good terms every year as Zhang took his son to Hong's house for banquet during Zhahandan festival (炸寒單).

So yes, Baishi ceremony is of significance during the time and yes if student was expelled, the same ceremonial process is needed, Baishitie (拜師帖) will be returned.

Hong further his learning with Chen Panling to focus on Xingyi. Chen didn't alter Hong's form, but added Yi (意)or intend to his training. Hong later learnt Xiao Jiu Tian (小九天)and Zhi Niuzhu (制牛術).
Hong did change and refine his Xingyi, but did not alter any of his Bagua learnt from Zhang.

So you see, the details are relevant, it made everything or perspective changes.
There are others things I reserve so no one's name is damaged. Hong was a kind and soft person, he will do so too.

Hong's family gave so much to Zhang (and others), wealth, name and family.
This is not bragging, it's a fact.
So I don't see any good reason or higher moral ground for Zhang for expelling Hong.
It doesn't make any sense!
If there was an expulsion, there should be a time, date and a very good reason to do so. Of course witness.

Over
Last edited by Overlord on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:06 am

Traditionally, in China, taking on a disciple or disowning one was a very personal thing. Some masters are still very serious about this. I really don't think that it's any of our business to pry - disrespectful, even. The facts won't change. Masters are people. We weren't there. Good luck with your training. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan