if the connection is correct, the power will go through

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: if the connection is correct, the power will go through

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:27 pm

I don't understand Chinese well enough to understand Master Gao's explanation. What does HE say he is doing and what reasons does HE give for why it works? Is he able to obtain the same reaction from people who are not his students? Is he able to teach other people the same skill (i.e. can other people who have studied with him elicit the same reactions in others who are not their students)? Is it useful on people who have trained not to react to/add to his input?

Recently we hosted a friend of mine who has directly trained with master Gao,
for a small seminar, he's also trained with my teacher in Beijing. Many of the concepts used are very similar
if not the same.

He did pretty much the same things and had those there also doing it within a short time...
Its a "demo" used to illustrate different ideas...

If you look through some of the posting I did say some of what he said "if its done to fast it won't work, if its done to slow it won't work"

This is when he was showing different conditions by hitting the balloon differently in which it would or would not work....

The "dummy" wow I would expect a little better from you...Also I would have thought that for anyone that really cared they could always find some one to translate, if that was the issue.

The main point as you've outlined is that it's not within your "experience" as such it seems to contradict much of what you "know"

In reading the posts most kind of give hints as to whats going on but all seem to miss some basic points which I really dont feel like addressing
at this time, considering the tone of the thread...

Is it useful on people who have trained not to react to/add to his input?

how would you train not to react to something you can't feel in the first place ?
the point is that people do react they just dont understand why ?
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Bao wrote:If you speak about WW's post with the balloon, pls don't use the Japanese term "Uke". There are plenty other words in plain English that works perfectly well. :P

Gus Mueller wrote:Generally I'm going to ignore that suggestion. I know several Chinese words for "opponent" but the word "uke" conveys the connotation of "the guy who's going to take the fall". The best English word in my opinion would be "dummy" which is what I call the person who throws a punch so the teacher or demonstrator can show the counter.

charles wrote:It appears that a small force is applied to the "dummy"...

windwalker wrote:The "dummy" wow I would expect a little better from you...

I give up... the-guy-in-the-video-that-isn't-Master-Gao. Does that meet with EVERYONE'S approval?
Last edited by charles on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm

;D

I propose "The Artist Formerly Known As Dummy"
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby charles on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Dmitri wrote:;D

I propose "The Artist Formerly Known As Dummy"

All in favour? -shrug-
charles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 am

charles wrote:
Bao wrote:If you speak about WW's post with the balloon, pls don't use the Japanese term "Uke". There are plenty other words in plain English that works perfectly well. :P

Gus Mueller wrote:Generally I'm going to ignore that suggestion. I know several Chinese words for "opponent" but the word "uke" conveys the connotation of "the guy who's going to take the fall". The best English word in my opinion would be "dummy" which is what I call the person who throws a punch so the teacher or demonstrator can show the counter.

charles wrote:It appears that a small force is applied to the "dummy"...

windwalker wrote:The "dummy" wow I would expect a little better from you...

I give up... the-guy-in-the-video-that-isn't-Master-Gao. Does that meet with EVERYONE'S approval?

How about Jabroni?

'jabroni. noun. in professional wrestling, a wrestler who loses in order to make another wrestler look good; also called jobber. Usage Note. slang.'
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 am

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby windwalker on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 am

This is a summation of what I have been addressing in the higher level arts. This idea of “connecting to your opponent” to either make aiki or use jins is fraught with many deficiencies and potential openings. The weaknesses are as obvious as telling someone to go attach their centers to either; Takeda, Ueshiba, Chen Fake and hope for a good result.

no one has said that, only you.
the point is that if one is unable to feel or know where the others center is, this does not mean they dont know or understand where your center is.
This is what "they" use.

It is far better to create (as Sagawa points out) a connected or “aiki-body,” then spend the rest of your days –not reveling your center.
There are those in the Taiji and aiki arts who spend all their time trying to organize jins and “make connect” and use aiki when they touch people. I love it. It makes them so easy to move.

You've not said what is connected to what?

Its not the body that gets moved because of the connection.
The connection itself allows one to understand what is moved which in turn moves the body...

I like it too ;) ,,,people trying to move the body, not understanding that is not what holds it or prevents it from being moved.
Might as well practice trying to move a statue,,

This way of thinking, of making a four legged animal out of you both so your center moves theirs, is just fine in kata or push hands. It is a disaster against experienced grapplers and MMA players. It is far more efficient to retain your center and keep managing and moving your forces -in you- as you move. They end up re-acting to your continuing changes.

Only works with others who have no real "ting jin" skills Their is only one center, the question is who's.

One need ask oneself if you push on a statue; does it connect to you or you to, it?
Were the statue to move, does it connect to you? Make a connection to you? Or are you moved by your pushing on something more connected than you and you let go or follow?

by virtue of pushing it one is connected to it no?
the real question is the statue pushing back.

through contesting against senior people in both the ICMA and JMA and MMA, that retaining a connected and independent center is the superior way to move. There is a reason that so, so many traditional artists have trouble with the rapid changing environment of actual combatives armed or unarmed. This “connect to the opponent” idea is right at the top of the list of creating weaknesses openings and failure.

Good you've found a way that works for you.
Don't agree with your ideas of connection.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 am

Jaysus Windy...

You bring smugness to a whole new level. And it flows from dunning Kruger ... you lack the tools to understand you cannot understand.

Bodywork just gave you a thorough explanation as to why your fixation just won't work. And he's gone to the effort of referencing classic aikido theory, to aid your understanding.
I've always maintained that what you do is basic and wrongfully isolates a transitory moment of flowing combat. Bodywork is being far too polite saying it's ok for form and tuishou.

Thing is, I dont believe you actually understand half of what he just posted. And I don't mean the aikido jargon I mean the internal principle of change, concealing and revealing and how the body method allows the realisation of such tactics and allows us to appear xuan xuan.

For sure there at many paths up the mountain , but you my friend haven't even reached the first skydoor, and are mistaking a common turnstyle for achievement!
Last edited by Niall Keane on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:13 am

Bodywork wrote:On connection
" In the old style martial arts there are: sen sen no sen, sen no sen and go no sen, but in Aikido do not think of them as different. In fact, in Aikido it does not matter if an opponent is there or not. Just execute the movements you practice in everyday training and all will be well. The way you move- creates the technique
This is the reason Aikido...is so interesting..."
.Ueshiba Morihei

This reminds me of the saying "When practicing the form, think of your opponent, when facing an opponent, think of your form."

I only really see that as valid in training, though. Whenever I've been in an actual conflict that mattered, I've been in no-mind. It transcends conscious intention. Techniques simply flow and I inventory them after the fact.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan