Foot turn: Pivot on Heel or Ball of the Foot or...?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Foot turn: Pivot on Heel or Ball of the Foot or...?

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:48 pm

Just for the record: Kathakali dance, which draws heavily on the ancient kalaripayattu fighting traditions of Kerala, is famous for its 'Chakkar' rapid heelspins, as was Fan Zhiyong's 'Four Directions, Eight Points' turning, stepping and striking method.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:51 pm

Steve James wrote:I'm not sure I understand what ya'll mean by "spinning on the weighted leg." Imo the discussion has led to the confusion of stepping with pivoting with turning and spinning. Sure one can step to turn, forward or backward. But, a "spin" is a spin. It can be done on the heel, the center, the ball of the foot, or even on the toes -- but on one foot at a time. Pivots can be done with both feet on the ground --usually using some combination of heel and toe. The traditional footwork in the Yang Single Whip turn is done with a pivot. The "Turn and kick with heel" is done with a spin ... on the _____, as opposed to the ____ in the "Turn, lotus kick" at the end of the form.

I think I was speaking poorly there. I meant pivoting on the weighted leg as one thing and spinning as another.

So in my single whip facing east with weight on the right leg, I'd first sink onto the left leg, pivot the right foot on the heel to point straight north, sink into the right leg, step out to the west with my left leg, shift weight to 70 left/30 right, pivot on the right heel, toe in 45 degrees.

If I pivot on both feet simultaneously there I wind up in an inline bow stance at the end and feel like I lose a lot of power and stability. I could cheat by going to the NW corner instead but I feel like that's defeating the point. Performing the first pivot while I'm still weighted on the right leg is very interesting. It feels like there's a lot of immediate power in it and it gives more of an explosive feel to the finish.

On the spins, it feels like I can spin in either direction on the ball of the foot, but it's a little more steady when I'm spinning towards the weighted leg. Likewise I can spin either direction on the heel, but it's MUCH less stable when spinning towards the weighted leg.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 pm

lazyboxer wrote:Just for the record: Kathakali dance, which draws heavily on the ancient kalaripayattu fighting traditions of Kerala, is famous for its 'Chakkar' rapid heelspins, as was Fan Zhiyong's 'Four Directions, Eight Points' turning, stepping and striking method.

But more famous for its hsing I like foot stomping
Last edited by wayne hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan